Haole Q & A

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Haole

Haole Q & A

Post by Haole » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:16 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Haole (pronounced How-lee). Many of you probably remember me from the Haole Q & A thread over at Frugalsworld a couple years back. I really enjoyed the participation there and had over 60,000 views during that time. I am an F-16CJ pilot for the SC Air National Guard (157FS Swamp Fox) and I love meeting new folks and hangar flying. Being a Viper driver I have enjoyed flying with past Thunderbirds such as Skibo (my RTU flight commander) and Dallas (we went to UPT and RTU in the same class) and several other past and present members. When I ran across you guys here at the VTBs I have to admit I was VERY impressed! I have tried flying formation on Falcon and other sims and it is a challenge!! You have a world class operation here and I look forward to learning more about you.

In the meantime, I would like to open up a Q & A thread here just as I did on the other sites to get to know you all better. Just remember...I can't talk about weapon specifics or tactics but I'll try to answer any other questions you may have.

I look forward to talking to you all! Have a great day!

Cheers!
Delphin "HAOLE" Gantt
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Welcome to the forums Haole! Glad to see you made it over here.

I may have some specific Block 52 technical questions for you, as we're in the process of refining our CJ- 3D model and giving it a complete make-over. I'll likely shoot you a PM later on...

Always enjoyed reading your blog (Haole's Corner) at Figther Ops, good to see you're back. I'm sure several of our guys may have questions for you in regards to their pit building too. If you haven't had a chance to check out Gunner's Pit (in the Pit Builders forum and our gallery), please take a moment and you'll get an idea of the level of detail. (A picture says more than a thousand words)!

Once again, welcome!
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Welcome to the forums Haole!

I remember your Haole Q & A thread - it was a great resource and it's awesome to see how much you help out the flight sim/Falcon community - we all really appreciate it.

Oh yeah, check out Gunner's pit, it's really something!

Thanks again for signing up on the forums. 8)
Razgriz

Post by Razgriz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:16 pm

I have a question regarding the Block 50 & 52 stick.

Does the flight computer judge it by where the stick is or how much pressure (how much strength you're pulling with)?
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:32 pm

Nice to see ya around here, Haole!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:32 pm

Razgriz wrote:Does the flight computer judge it by where the stick is or how much pressure (how much strength you're pulling with)?
Not to take anything away from Haole answering this, but in the meantime check this F-16 Flight Controls article from Code One Magazine by Joe Bill Dryden.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:01 am

Haole-
Welcome to our forums! I'm sure I'm not the only one excited to have you around. 8) I have a pit related question for now, I'm sure I'll have many more for you.

I'm fabricating my ICP / HUD housing right now, and I'm wondering about this little thingamabob:

What is it? Can you see anything inside? To replicate it, I'm thinking a small magnifying glass - does that sound reasonable?

Just thought of another one:
Strip just above ICP looks like male velcro - is it? And why?

Sinister

Post by Sinister » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:05 pm

Hey Haole,

Haven't talked to you in a very long time. Good to see you are back. This will be a great treat for everyone in the community and I'm sure you won't be bored, they will pick your brain. A lot of the people here are top notch individuals.

Hope to see you in the virtual skies soon whether it be Lomac, Falcon or FSX.

Welcome.
Razgriz

Post by Razgriz » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Gunner wrote:Haole-
Welcome to our forums! I'm sure I'm not the only one excited to have you around. 8) I have a pit related question for now, I'm sure I'll have many more for you.

I'm fabricating my ICP / HUD housing right now, and I'm wondering about this little thingamabob:

What is it? Can you see anything inside? To replicate it, I'm thinking a small magnifying glass - does that sound reasonable?
It seems to say 'NORMAL/PURGE'. Maybe it's an oxygen valve?
Stang

Post by Stang » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:32 pm

Hey guys,

Word of CAUTION:

He'll fly with you (Haole)...but he'll also GUN the piss out of you!

Site looks great fellas, long time, no see!

Keep up the good work.

When's the next show?
Sinister wrote:Hey Haole,

Haven't talked to you in a very long time. Good to see you are back. This will be a great treat for everyone in the community and I'm sure you won't be bored, they will pick your brain. A lot of the people here are top notch individuals.

Hope to see you in the virtual skies soon whether it be Lomac, Falcon or FSX.

Welcome.
:D :D
Stang out
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:29 pm

Razgriz wrote: It seems to say 'NORMAL/PURGE'. Maybe it's an oxygen valve?
Oxygen Regulator is on the left side panel behind pilot, so I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:51 pm

Gunner wrote:
Razgriz wrote: It seems to say 'NORMAL/PURGE'. Maybe it's an oxygen valve?
Oxygen Regulator is on the left side panel behind pilot, so I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Boy that must suck for the pilot having to read it upside down, eh? Must do that so the Chief can handle all that before takeoff. :D

(I think you meant "right" panel... ) :lol:
Haole

Post by Haole » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:16 pm

Razgriz wrote:I have a question regarding the Block 50 & 52 stick.

Does the flight computer judge it by where the stick is or how much pressure (how much strength you're pulling with)?
You are correct...in simple terms, pressure readings from the stick (which only moves about 1/4 of an inch) are sent to the mechanical flight control actuators via electrical signals. Thus "fly by wire", instead of cables running to the different flight control surfaces.

Haole
Delphin "HAOLE" Gantt
Haole

Post by Haole » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:23 pm

Razgriz wrote:
Gunner wrote:Haole-

It seems to say 'NORMAL/PURGE'. Maybe it's an oxygen valve?
Actually, I have never noticed that before! Either it is not on a Block 52 or I just haven't noticed it (meaning the pilot never uses it). I'll try to remember to look tomorrow afternoon when I fly.

The velcro across the top of the panel is used to hold a plastic cover that we used in the past to cut down on glare on the HUD. I haven't seen it used in years so I assume the NVG upgrades helped with the glare. I never used that cover anyway, it just got in my way.

Haole
Delphin "HAOLE" Gantt
Haole

Post by Haole » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:25 pm

Lawndart wrote:Welcome to the forums Haole! Glad to see you made it over here.

I may have some specific Block 52 technical questions for you, as we're in the process of refining our CJ- 3D model and giving it a complete make-over. I'll likely shoot you a PM later on...

Always enjoyed reading your blog (Haole's Corner) at Figther Ops, good to see you're back. I'm sure several of our guys may have questions for you in regards to their pit building too. If you haven't had a chance to check out Gunner's Pit (in the Pit Builders forum and our gallery), please take a moment and you'll get an idea of the level of detail. (A picture says more than a thousand words)!

Once again, welcome!
Thanks for the nice welcome! Please feel free to send those questions on over! I'll do my best to answer them or get the answers for you the next time I fly!

Haole
Delphin "HAOLE" Gantt