Haole Q & A

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Haole

Post by Haole » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:32 pm

Gunner,

I looked over the photos of your cockpit. Great job! It looks really nice. I can tell you put a lot of time in to it!

Haole
Delphin "HAOLE" Gantt
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:36 pm

Teej wrote: (I think you meant "right" panel... ) :lol:
#7 Doing his job again! :wink:
Haole

Post by Haole » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:45 pm

Gunner wrote:Haole-
Welcome to our forums! I'm sure I'm not the only one excited to have you around. 8) I have a pit related question for now, I'm sure I'll have many more for you.

I'm fabricating my ICP / HUD housing right now, and I'm wondering about this little thingamabob:

What is it? Can you see anything inside? To replicate it, I'm thinking a small magnifying glass - does that sound reasonable?

Just thought of another one:
Strip just above ICP looks like male velcro - is it? And why?

Well...I've been flying this jet for 13 years and today was the first time I have ever seen that little glass! Like I said, nothing that the pilot uses so I have never paid it any attention. I asked the avionics guy what it does and he said it basically lets you know if there is any moisture in the PDU (pilot display unit)/HUD. I think a magnifying glass would work just fine like you suggested. Hope this helps!

Haole
Delphin "HAOLE" Gantt
Haole

Post by Haole » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:30 pm

Great week of flying and simulators! I did a 4V4 against F-15Cs out of Jacksonville and some SEAD and DEAD simulators working those HARMs and Sniper Pods. It has been a fun week. Next week appears to be another busy one, also. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Delphin "HAOLE" Gantt
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:35 am

I hope you guys kicked those Jacksonville Eagles around? :wink:
Haole

Post by Haole » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:17 pm

Beaker wrote:I hope you guys kicked those Jacksonville Eagles around? :wink:
They were Red Air for us so we had their hands "tied" slightly. It was a good sortie though. Those guys are good Eagle drivers so we like training with them.

Haole
Delphin "HAOLE" Gantt
Crowbar

Post by Crowbar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:25 pm

Hey Haole,

How's it going? Could you tell us what were the worst wx conditions you have taken off and landed in? In terms of visibility (RVR) and celling. I am pretty familiar with the minimums I am just curious how it works in practice.

Cheers,

Crowbar
Crowbar

Post by Crowbar » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:15 pm

OPSEC?
Haole

Post by Haole » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:12 pm

Crowbar wrote:Hey Haole,

How's it going? Could you tell us what were the worst wx conditions you have taken off and landed in? In terms of visibility (RVR) and celling. I am pretty familiar with the minimums I am just curious how it works in practice.

Cheers,

Crowbar
Hey Crowbar,

Our F-16 weather rules are a little different than flying in the "civilian" world or different Air Force airframes. As an experienced guy my weather minimums are 300/1. Most precision approaches will take you lower than that but we are resrtricted to 300' and a mile vis. When a new LT gets to the squadron he/she is 700/2. I have flown all the way to minimums before at night and in the F-16 that is a WHOLE lot different than flying an approach in something like a King Air 350, Commercial Airliner, etc. The F-16 is not a good instrument approach airplane!

Haole
Delphin "HAOLE" Gantt
Crowbar

Post by Crowbar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:24 am

Thanks for your reply Haole!

Cheers
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:08 am

So Haole, how'd I do? :D

Haole

Post by Haole » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:51 pm

Gunner wrote:So Haole, how'd I do? :D

Nicely done Gunner!
Delphin "HAOLE" Gantt
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Haole,

Two questions:
  1. What is the forward VTR door, and where exactly is it located (under the left side wing strake/intake)?
  2. Do you know if there's any difference in the operation of the SPD BRK switch between different Block #'s? (MLU diagrams of the HOTAS depict the rocker switch on the TQS as a 3-position switch, aft open, forward close, and center stops movement. The Block 50/52 -1, however, shows SPD BRK 3-Position switch, "aft momentary"). How does the SPD BRK switch work on the CJ?
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:31 pm

I'm not Hoale but even the most antiquated jets I've sat in have the momentary spd brk switch. Why have a fore/aft switch position if they do the same thing? :wink:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:06 am

The way I understood the diagram for the MLU TQS, moving the switch out of the center detent (left) extends the speed brakes. When the switch is released back to the center position they'd remain at the angle they were opened to, until the switch is moved in the opposite direction (right) from the center detent which then closes the speed brakes again.

This is not how it appears in the Dash-1 manual for the Block 50 (which has the "momentary" and "extend" positions). The MLU, on the other hand, is based on a Block 20, which is why I'm wondering if there's a difference in the operation of the speed brake switch between different block #'s. (The MLU's are based on the A/B model, while a Block 50/52 is obviously a C/D model...).