Micro Productions FSX film: Thunderbird

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Razgriz

Micro Productions FSX film: Thunderbird

Post by Razgriz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:10 am

From the FSX Blue Angels' forums:
Micro wrote:Micro Productions is proud to announce the release of its latest FSX film, Thunderbird.

Three months in the making, it is our tribute to all U.S. Armed Forces past and present.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgObHs7f43s

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubiw69J84qM

Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZishH1xxwo

Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqNR8-PtCx8

Thread: http://fsxproblueangels.com/phpBB3/view ... f=2&t=2245
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:49 am

Some interesting work. Important to realize that this is most likely 1 person flying all 6 jets using a program called FS Recorder (you can fly one jet, and then fly another with it, and another, and another, and so on), not 6 people flying at once which is how it SHOULD be done IMHO. It's what we (as a community) strive for and while the "flying" is good for FSX, it's still likely just 1 person. Could pick apart things left and right (using Blues/F/A-18 flyby sound effects for instance - nothing else sounds like a formation of Hornets roaring over) but we'd be here all day.

FSX Vegas scenery is cool.........but it's nothing we shouldn't have soon with current/future LockOn mods and DCS upgrades.
Phantoms Phorever!
Grab

Post by Grab » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:03 am

I can confirm that it is one guy flying each track with FS recorder. I asked.

I agree, it should be done with six people flying six jets.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:16 am

One of the better FSX representations I've seen. Job well done to the movie maker and pilot(s)!

That being said, FS Recorder can work miracles when it doesn't have to be recorded "live" in multiplayer. None the less, if that wasn't what the person(s) behind this were going for, they still managed to create a nice presentaion.

Now, being a stickler about the Thunderbird demo there are several mistakes and inaccuracies, but overall the pilot(s) and movie maker did fairly well capturing the essence of the show. Our guys know I can be a real PITA and nitpicking Nazi when it comes to accurately emulating the aerial display in high fidelity, but I'll spare my critique and leave it where it belongs.

While this is certainly a different animal, since FS Recorder was used to create it instead of multiplayer, it is probably the finest FSX film featuring the Thunderbirds I've seen to date (even if some of the unbelievable attention to detail didn't quite hit the mark).

~S!
Razgriz

Post by Razgriz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:12 pm

Lawndart wrote:One of the better FSX representations I've seen. Job well done to the movie maker and pilot(s)!

That being said, FS Recorder can work miracles when it doesn't have to be recorded "live" in multiplayer. None the less, if that wasn't what the person(s) behind this were going for, they still managed to create a nice presentaion.

Now, being a stickler about the Thunderbird demo there are several mistakes and inaccuracies, but overall the pilot(s) and movie maker did fairly well capturing the essence of the show. Our guys know I can be a real PITA and nitpicking Nazi when it comes to accurately emulating the aerial display in high fidelity, but I'll spare my critique and leave it where it belongs.

While this is certainly a different animal, since FS Recorder was used to create it instead of multiplayer, it is probably the finest FSX film featuring the Thunderbirds I've seen to date (even if some of the unbelievable attention to detail didn't quite hit the mark).

~S!
I (personally) think it's the best FSX aerial display movie on YouTube so far. It's far from accurate, and the music was hand picked, but I think he did an excellent job on what he did. I don't know how it was sowell choreographed with one jet flying all six positions, unless he recorded voice calls along with the FS Recorder file.
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Cobra » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:45 pm

Credit where credit is due. This is an outstanding video from someone who is evidently able to fly all the positions to a show standard. The amount of work that has gone into this is incredible and I for one thoroughly enjoyed it.
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:25 pm

Pretty impressive - that's a very nicely done FSX video.

I'm going to load FSX up and FS Recorder and try my hand at form flying in the Aerosoft F-16.
Sinister

Post by Sinister » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:19 pm

The quality of the video is very nice.

I wish I had seen this the first time I was invited to watch the team perform their LIVE practice on LIVESTREAM.

If it was like this, it would have helped settle my feelings about the FSX THUNDERBIRDS and FSX and its ability to handle multi-ship aerobatics.

If this is one person flying... he shows a great ability to fly all positions ( boss included in assuming).

I know that this is being done with FS recorder, I would really like to see if this can be done live and flown this close to put my disbelief at ease.

Anyways, great works... SUPERB FLYING and stunning graphics. Kudos!
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Just remember that this video in no way represents the FSX Thunderbirds (different person) or online formation flying in FSX. ;)
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Sinister

Post by Sinister » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:46 pm

When I saw the word "OUR" in the first post, I thought that maybe it was someone from the FSX Thunderbird team.

Whomever he/she is represented for FSX in a big way.

I really wish they would take the extra time to get the terrain correct. Makes me wonder what is correct/incorrect about the other cities that are downloaded.

That Nellis terrain is nice, but sooooo wrong. :lol:

I'm gonna have to take a flight around Vegas now to see what they did wrong.

I wonder if the software somehow just randomly placed buildings and houses where it wanted to.
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:50 pm

Sinister wrote:I wonder if the software some how just randomly placed buildings and houses where it wanted to.
And that's why they call it "autogen" scenery. ;)
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:51 pm

Man that was amazingly awesome!!! Although in the diamond and delta the wingmen do not fly their exact correct position, great respect for the one who flew this and all of it. Must have been a lot of work to get this down, respect!!!
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:21 pm

I sent him a message on YouTube the other day and sent him a link to the thread today and told him to sign up and make a post!
poorpilot

Post by poorpilot » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:41 am

Thanks for the invitation to join Ray. I'm glad everyone seems to like the video. I have to say "Smoke On" was definitely an inspiration.

I noticed some of you had the same questions I've gotten from other simmers (great minds think alike I guess). I did my best to answer them on the FSX Blue Angel forums at the top of this thread.

Thanks again fellas. I'm flattered that you approve.
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Cobra » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:49 pm

I don't think it has quite sunk in yet what this represents.

It is another evolutionary step.

If we go back through the beginnings of this hobby we have seen how the original VFTC and Virtual Thunderbirds videos proved this was possible; the VBA Big Movie and Smoke On took production standards to a new level; and Phantom Control and VFAT has increased the professionalism and standards of all the teams.

This however represents something different and there will be many imitators in the years to come. No longer will the FSX platform be seen as the poor relation as far as getting a film out there. In fact, as has been shown, if you have enough talent and drive it is is now possible for a single person to achieve many things, video-wise, that are not possible for an entire team using the Lock On format.

This won't replace the teams and the live show, it cannot. But it does open up many creative possibilities that weren't open before.

Well done JJ. In years to come this will be another milestone I can tell my grandkids that I was there for. (Well that will mean a lot for me if not for them I am sure!) :)