Tragic accident Russian Knights

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Frazer

Tragic accident Russian Knights

Post by Frazer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:46 am

Just returned from what was supposed to be a wonderful day, seeing the Russian Knights final trainings for MAKS. As some of you may already know it turned into a tragic accident.

After the Russian Knights made their final split, the leader Igory Tkachenko, together with the slot Igor Shpak, made a right turn completing the loop exiting the area for the Swifts to take over.

The moment the Swifts completed their first loop, I noticed a small dark cloud in the air of where the two Su-27's flew away. Then I saw one of the two Su-27's in a rolling dive just above the tree line...

After moments of disbelief my fear came true... a dark cloud appeared at the horizon...

May Igory Tkachenko rest in peace...
Last edited by Frazer on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:55 am

Sad news! R.I.P. :cry:

@Frazer, so you actually saw this close-up? Must have been an eerie feeling!

Related topics posted at ASB:
Russian Su-27's Collide
Russian Knights crash
Last edited by Lawndart on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:50 pm

Very sad news Frazer. My thoughts go out to Igory Tkachenko's family and friends...
Ells

Post by Ells » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:18 pm

Extremely sad news, our respects to all that knew him.
And to you Frazer for having to see it happen.
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:54 pm

(moment of silence)
kerdougan

Post by kerdougan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:23 am

:( RIP
The Jet-E-Sons
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:59 am

After hearing multiple speculations of how this accident happened we can be 95% sure the following was the case.

After the final split, the leading aircraft (nr.18 ) together with slot (nr.01) flew east for rejoin and head back to Kubinka, Russian Knights home base. The left wing, Vitaly V. Melnik (nr.14, also flying east after split) was the first jet to rejoin the formation.

This rejoin is what went wrong. Left wing, sliding in from a higher altitude, miscalculated the leaders airspeed and overshot the formation. During overshooting, Vitaly V. Melnik probably lost visual and hit the leading aircraft with the engines. The nose of the leading aircraft was severely damaged.

The leading aircraft was a double seater. In the front seat flew Commander Igor Tkachenko and in the backseat, navigator Igor Antonovich Kurilenko. Kurilenko immediately ejected after the collision initiating both front and back seat ejection sequence.

Horrifying is that Tkachenko's parachute cought fire during the eject. Though, looking closely at the pictures we can assume that Igor Tkachenko was already dead from the impact.

The engines of left wing, nr.14 cought fire and Vitaly V. Melnik ejected a few moments later.

Jet Nr.14 after ejection

Crash site Nr.14

Crash Site Nr.18

May Igor Tkachenko rest in peace......
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:47 am

Lawndart wrote:Sad news! R.I.P. :cry:

@Frazer, so you actually saw this close-up? Must have been an eerie feeling!