Looking for some advice & questions

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Turkanator

Looking for some advice & questions

Post by Turkanator » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:45 pm

I want to get back into flying, I flew the Falcon 3.0 with the F16 FLCS but I lost both of them due to new Technology (USB & Faster Computers). Since I joined the forum and the answers I have received from Cobra and Lawndart. I have ordered A Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar, it should be here tomorrow. :D :D

I’m just wondering what or if anything I need to do to get ready for the Cougar? I know there are tons of mods for it.

Also I’m wondering what is the best modern Combat Flight Sim with the F-16 where you can do some combat flying and free flight?

Thanks,
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Re: Looking for some advice & questions

Post by Tailhook » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:18 pm

Turkanator wrote:I’m just wondering what or if anything I need to do to get ready for the Cougar? I know there are tons of mods for it.
The stock Cougar should be able to last you a year before it starts getting bad in ways of center play. I would probably use the stock for a few months till you gain some more money, then upgrade. As far as mods, I would recommend definitely the FSSB, but for any others I will let LD or somebody answer that for you. :wink:
Turkanator wrote:Also I’m wondering what is the best modern Combat Flight Sim with the F-16 where you can do some combat flying and free flight?
I recommend Free Falcon 5 if you want better graphics and more avionics than the last install. If you want full realism in avionics but not so well graphics, I recommend Open Falcon 4.7.
Blaze

Re: Looking for some advice & questions

Post by Blaze » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:29 pm

Turkanator wrote:I’m just wondering what or if anything I need to do to get ready for the Cougar? I know there are tons of mods for it.
I'm not sure what you can do to "prepare yourself" for it, as there is no other stick on the market like it! I also suggest flying with it in stock configuration at first to see if you like it. The springs on it are a lot heavier than normal joysticks so that'll be the first noticeable difference. Also the thrust lever might stick a bit, but with slight modifications it can be made to move just as smooth as the x52 unit. ;) As far as mods go for the stick, it all depends on the feel you want on the stick. If you want a solid stick with absolute precise control and the ultimate F-16 FLCS, then the FSSB is for you. It doesn't move however since it converts force applied to the stick into control inputs, so if you want actual physical response to stick movement then the FSSB might be awkward to use. If you want to have physical stick movement but with a lighter feel than the stock gimbals in the stick, then I suggest the NXT mod. It completely eliminates the "flat spots" that the heavy springs in the stock stick make (moving the stick from center to full deflection requires some effort to get it moving, like there's a center detent :roll:). So it all depends on what feel you want with your stick, absolutely stiff or nice and soft with no center detent.

In addition to the gimbal and force mods there are others like the HALL sensors mod. They replace the stock potentiometers in the stick with magnetic sensors. If you intend on using your cougar for a long long time these are recommended as they are contactless and won't wear out, giving very precise inputs.

Check Cougar World for lots of helpful information on modding and general stuff on your new kitty, and lots of helpful information on the programing software FOXY (if you aren't used to Thrustmaster's programming software, it might be a bit confusing at first :shock: )

All in all it's a great stick and it's totally usable in its stock state, however for long-term use to get the most out of it you'll inevitably have to mod it somehow, and whichever ones you choose (FSSB, NXT, HALL, etc) you'll definitely have one of the premier HOTAS systems on the market! 8)