Luke AFB openhouse...

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Convertible
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Convertible » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:31 pm

Gunner,

Glad you liked the spot that we found on Saturday. I had my four boys with me and they were not interested at all in waiting in line for 2 hrs to get in so we spent the day at the end of the runway letting them play in the ditch and get wet while the show was going on. We had a great time.

On Saturday I was privileged to meet a gentlemen that served in the Korean War in the Air Force while we were watching from the field. One of the solos flew right over our heads 350 - 400 knots 150 ft and loud and turned smoke on for the maneuver. I looked over at him and he was crying. I asked if everything was ok. He said that this brought back a memory of when he was in Korea, not as a pilot but working on the flight line. There was on occasion where the planes were coming back from a very brutal battle and had pieces hanging off of them. He continued to recount through the tears how he had lost some of his friends in the battle. He said that seeing those planes land all shot up but still flying was something he will never forget along with those of his friends that he lost that day. Just looking at the beauty of the T-birds flying over head and being at the end of the runway had sparked the memory. We both cried together along with his wife and had a really neat experience.

During the show a "small crowd" had gathered around me as well as I was basically narrating what was going to happen next and where the planes were coming in from. Remember we were still by the field that Gunner mentioned above. After the show I had several people ask how I knew so much about them. Of course I then spoke about the VTB and handed out business cards. Pretty cool day for sure. The kids had fun, I had fun - great experience. I would have loved to be on base, but this was the next best thing. :)
c130dcc

Post by c130dcc » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks Gunner, it's a deal. Take care.
C130DCC, U.S. Air Force Retired