Luke AFB openhouse...

Aviation & Simulation Topics
FALCON56

Luke AFB openhouse...

Post by FALCON56 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:48 pm

Everyone out at Luke is gearing up for the airshow. Here is a link that has some info on it for all of those who plan on going. The F-22 will be making its first aerial airshow apperance at Luke airshow this year. It's SHOW TIME!

http://www.luke.af.mil/openhouse2009/index.asp
Last edited by FALCON56 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Re: Luke AFB openhouse...

Post by Tailhook » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:52 pm

FALCON56 wrote:The F-22 will be making its first aerial airshow apperance
Where have you been? :lol: The F-22 has been flying at airshows for the past 2 years. :wink:
Last edited by Tailhook on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
FALCON56

Post by FALCON56 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:56 pm

I ment at Luke... It's never flown at a Luke airshow. Only a static display.
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:46 pm

I may get away from Vegas for the weekend and head down there. It would be great to take in the airshow and hang out with the friends at Luke that I miss.
Convertible

Post by Convertible » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:37 am

I will be there for sure. Wouldn't miss it. Should be a great show!
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:34 am

Can't wait! :D I'll be out there all three days, and maybe on Thursday.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:39 pm

Hope "Zeke" puts on a good show for you guys. ;)
Last edited by Tailhook on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:52 pm

Yep, the Raptor has never flown at Luke yet, this will be the first year as it was a static display the prior time the Thunderbirds were in town. The first time I saw the Raptor fly was at Miramar last year. And I was standing there with my mouth wide open the entire time. Should be a blast to see him this year at home.
c130dcc

Post by c130dcc » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:51 am

I saw the F-22 in flight for the first time last weekend while at the Pima air museum. They were having the heritage flight weekend at DM, it was great. I'll be taking my wife to the Luke show, she's never seen the Thunderbirds perform. It's going to be great!
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:51 pm

I will most likely be arriving at Luke around noon tomorrow. Enough time to catch a few demos and capture more photos of the Thunderbirds. :D :D :D

EDIT: :evil: :evil: :evil: Well I won't be going to Luke now... dang it. Why must things that go up, come down harder than they should... :evil:
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Luke show was pretty good. The Raptor had to land early due to problems, he finished his demo but did not do the Heritage Flight.

Was great watching the Thunderbirds in their new rides. There was some issues as far as timing and falling out of position, but it can be expected as it is one of the earliest shows. But overall it was a great experience. Always love catching the Thunderbirds every time they are out here. My daughter had the biggest smile on her face during the sneak pass. It was great and will be an awesome memory. :D Was the first time I had taken her since she was 7 months old. She is now almost Three.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:41 pm

Atlas wrote:My daughter had the biggest smile on her face during the sneak pass.
I bet she was playing ACDC - Thunderstruck in her head. :wink:
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:47 am

I had the opportunity to watch the T-Birds all three days. :D Friday I went out to see the practice show with "Chachi" Tzavaras, Thunderbird #8, 1998, #7, 1999. What a thrill to have a Thunderbird legend come to my house & check out the "mancave", & then to go out and get commentary from a former #7 during a practice - something I'll never forget!

Saturday was with the family, show center, & the show was great - they flew tighter than I've seen in the first big show for a long time. The loop on takeoff is so impressive, those Block-52's really have some oomph!

Yesterday I decided to avoid the 2 1/2 hour line to get in, and we just watched from an alfalfa field 10,000 feet from show center right down the runway. It's been decades since I watched a demo from that angle and it was fun! Smoke on & off right over our heads, and especially the solos were reach out & touch close!! The winds were gusting over 50 knots, but after some discussion of lightning takeoffs over the comms, they went ahead with the loop on takeoff. The wind was right down the runway, otherwise I'm sure they would have gone with single takeoffs. Not sure about show center hits, but even with that wind they got the four plane cross pretty close!

Overall a great weekend, I'm looking forward to seeing them again at Hill AFB in June.
c130dcc

Post by c130dcc » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:27 am

Wow Gunner I sure wish I could recognize your faces (VTB's) me and my wife couldn't have been more than a few feet away from you and your family Saturday afternoon. It would have been great to shake the hand of a Virtual Thunderbird and tell you how much I enjoy all of you in person. I was the only one there with a Skywest t-shirt on at show center. Anyway that was the first time my wife had ever seen the Thunderbirds and they didn't disappoint either of us. I got some great pics too, even for a small camera. Well maybe one day I'll get lucky and meet one of you in person, take care and keep up the good work.
C130DCC, U.S. Air Force Retired
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:59 am

c130dcc wrote:Well maybe one day I'll get lucky and meet one of you in person, take care and keep up the good work.
Next time we are going to be at the same show we need to exchange #'s, I would love to meet you...and it would be MY privilege.

Just checked YouTube - new video: