Hawg's Nevada Terrain

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:57 pm

Blaze wrote:Yea actually I'm starting to replace the Nellis textures myself for the Patriots.
What textures are you using to replace?

If you need factual references, www.airnav.com is a good starting point. Just search for 'KLSV'.

For aerial views MSN Maps is phenomenal if you need a good look at what the actual runways look like from above (as well as taxiways and buildings)! Be sure to use 'Aerial' view and 'Birds eye' and zoom in.
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:12 pm

Well using Reloaded textures right now was out of the question. The way the taxiways, ramp, and runway are mapped using the Reloaded textures is impossible without major tiling issues and crazy stretching. The runway itself uses in the middle one texture that is stretched all the way down the length of it. So in order to make the reloaded texture fit I'd have to make a texture the length of the runway, which would be something like 1024x20000!!! I did manage to get rid of the ugly skidmarks, and the grids over the ramp and runway, as the lines were way too thick. Also the threshold was replaced with a hi-res one and some grain added to the ramp and runways for depth.

Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:19 pm

Silly question, but the ramp looks too empty. Can you add parking and taxi lines or oil stains in various places?

I agree the grid was insane and at least it is going in a great direction.
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:14 pm

I wish. I really want to add all the lines, and fix the parking so the aircraft are oriented right on the ramp. The texture for the ramp itself is actually hundreds of tiny tiles using one texture file, so there's no room to add lines to them, they'd just tile over and over again. Hopefully next official update will have better textures and/or a layer for the lines.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:15 pm

Word of caution for those using LO Reload textures: The Map Switcher tool does not work one hundred percent with the LO Reload texture replacements mod and the Nevada Terrain. Since the Map Switcher tool already comes preloaded with files it uses to overwrite those conflicting between the Nevada Terrain and the default files, some of the LO Reload textures get overwritten by default textures (instead of the LO Reload textures) when using the Map Switcher to switch back to Crimean textures after running the Nevada Terrain.

I'd imagine the same dilemma will show up whenever the next update to the Nevada Terrain becomes available, since all the Map Switcher tool does is copy files (in conflict) from its own file folders.

The Map Switcher tool does work perfectly when switching between default terrain and Nevada Terrain at the moment though.
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:30 pm

A way to fix that would be to install reloaded, then look in the map switcher program in the Crimean section and find what the files are that are getting overwritten, and replace the ones in there with the ones in reloaded. I use Reloaded and a different water texture than what came with the map switcher so I just put the ones I was using in there, and it works. ;)
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:32 pm

Of course...

Just takes more work (anytime something changes) than writing a batch file and keeping several LockOn directories with different mods installed. :wink:
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:34 pm

Yea yea yea. :P
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:51 pm

Lawndart wrote:Of course...

Just takes more work (anytime something changes) than writing a batch file and keeping several LockOn directories with different mods installed. :wink:
I'm on copy #14 right now...
Phantoms Phorever!
Luse

Post by Luse » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Copy #9 for me. :?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:34 pm

I hope you guys are talking about various folders, and not installing the sim 14 (or 9) different times! :lol:

I've only installed LockOn twice ever on this machine, but I've had numerous backup copies of my copy to use with mods. I think Manu said he had something like two dozen LockOn folders, each with different mods for camerawork at VFAT one year... :shock:
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:25 pm

Lawndart wrote:I hope you guys are talking about various folders, and not installing the sim 14 (or 9) different times! :lol:

I've only installed LockOn twice ever on this machine, but I've had numerous backup copies of my copy to use with mods. I think Manu said he had something like two dozen LockOn folders, each with different mods for camerawork at VFAT one year... :shock:
After I installed LockOn for the first time on my current OS install, I copied and pasted the LockOn folder to my desktop and then renamed it "Fresh LockOn". You then copy and paste that back into the EagleDynamics folder and then call it whatever you want it to, then using a shortcut to the .bat file in whichever version you want to start.

Thank god for ModMan being able to point at different installs as well!
Phantoms Phorever!
Luse

Post by Luse » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:26 pm

Rhino wrote:Thank god for ModMan being able to point at different installs as well!
Agreed!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:27 am

Rhino wrote:Thank god for ModMan being able to point at different installs as well!
I've actually never used ModMan on multiple Lock On folders at the same time. Care to elaborate how you set this up in the program? Thanks!
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:11 am

Lawndart wrote:
I've actually never used ModMan on multiple Lock On folders at the same time. Care to elaborate how you set this up in the program? Thanks!
Assuming you're using the newest ModMan version, on the front screen menu where the "Mod Installer" and "ModMaker" among others options are, on the top right of the window under the "Program Close/Minimize" buttons, there is a arrow that points to the right.

A pop up window should come up and then you select the path to which LockOn you want to edit.
Phantoms Phorever!