Aviation Nation 2008

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Aviation Nation streaming video

Post by Redeye » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:10 pm

Aviation Nation streaming video of the 2008 Thunderbird show this weekend at Nellis AFB: http://www.esrevni.com/testPages/avnat/stream/
takeone

Aviation Nation 2008

Post by takeone » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:28 am

Okay... thunder-dorks! Few quickie questions.

Saturday's show was GREAT. Noticed a few things. Slots tail was blackened BEFORE the show. It was never cleaned. Are we going back to the days of the F-100's and Phantoms?! :) Wow... stunned was not the words in my mind.

Secondly, no one seemed to be wearing the leather customized flight gloves anymore... they all seemed to be wearing tan versions of the standard nomex flight glove. Anyone know anything about that?

I'll post a few pics as soon as I get home.

Block 52 was on display... SWEEEET!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: Aviation Nation 2008

Post by Lawndart » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:55 am

Takeone, I merged your post with the existing thread already covering "Aviation Nation 2008".
takeone wrote:Saturday's show was GREAT. Noticed a few things. Slots tail was blackened BEFORE the show. It was never cleaned. Are we going back to the days of the F-100's and Phantoms?! :) Wow... stunned was not the words in my mind.
This was done once before as well... sometime in the nineties. I'm not sure about the reason for it this year, but it has happened before.
takeone wrote:Secondly, no one seemed to be wearing the leather customized flight gloves anymore... they all seemed to be wearing tan versions of the standard nomex flight glove. Anyone know anything about that?
The artist has been ill this year I believe and I also think they use a different glove supplier.
takeone wrote:Block 52 was on display... SWEEEET!
Indeed! :D

The Block 52 static.

New turkey feathers, and smoke plumbing attachment.

The Block 32's out on the ramp.

One of the coolest pics I took! Wait for it... wait for it... There he is!
Velo

Post by Velo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Nice pictures LD!
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:36 pm

The parked Tbirds are my new wallpaper!

Nice picture!

EDIT : By the way guys, maybe a stupid question, but will there be an airshow again next year in Vegas?

And how far is the airbase from the Big Las Vegas city!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:28 pm

There most likely will be an Aviation Nation air show next year too, however, rumors are that the Thunderbirds may not be there to perform. We'll just have to wait and see when the final schedules for 2009 come out sometime next month.

Nellis AFB is northeast of Las Vegas. McCarran Int'l Airport is right next to the strip, so that gives you an idea how far north Nellis AFB is.

takeone

Post by takeone » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:35 pm

LD, thanks for reposting my original post. Sorry didn't realize there was already a topic started for Aviation Nation 08.

Okay, so Sunday I ran into Thunderbird # 7 Lt. Col. Rob Skelton. Great guy...

I asked him about my two questions (posted earlier in this thread).

They are leaving the tail of the slot plane to get dark, doing a kind of "retro" thing back to the days of the the F-100 Super Sabre and the F-4E Phantom. Whether this will continue into the 09 season is yet to be known, but they were "trying it out"!

As far as the leather gloves. They were not "official equipment" for flying and "legally" they don't meet the specification set forward by whoever governs those details for the USAF no matter how minute they are!

Now they are wearing the proper US Air Force gloves that meet all specs. So there... Seems the days of the customized flight gloves are gone.

BTW LD, did you steal my digital camera? My shots are almost IDENTICAL to yours! The Block 52 and the line shots. We were probably standing beside one another! :)
takeone

Post by takeone » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:06 am

Nose shot of the Block 52

New Flight Gloves

Retro Look of Slot Tail

MOD: The pictures were way too large for the forum. Posted links to open them in a new window instead of showing them within the forum.
Rock
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Rock » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:02 am

Nice Pictures Takeone! Love the first one so much that I set it as my Wallpaper :D 8)
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:11 am

Sawamura

Post by Sawamura » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:59 am

Very nice show. Enjoyed it a lot. 8)
necigrad

Post by necigrad » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Was a great show indeed. I even got to watch most of it this year.

Does anyone care to comment on this pic? Someone posted it for a specific reason on another forum. If you don't see it, it should be harmless and clean, if you catch the problem, while obscene you are old enough anyway. I'll make a rare note here to apoligise to the board if there is an issue with this pic.:

Also managed to get inside the B1B :mrgreen: Since it's actually probably my favorite aircraft it was a huge thing for me. I even got to sit in the DSO seat! Thanks to the crew should they read this.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:00 pm

"The shocker!" :shock:
Luse

Post by Luse » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Nah, just his way of showing his number. :wink: :lol:
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:25 pm