Problems with installation...

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:05 am

If disk one is working why not go to here and purchase a downloadable version of disk 2 (LOCK ON 1.1b: Flaming Cliffs), it's only $14.95. It even comes with extra activation downloads in case you need to reinstall at a later date.

I had to go this route because my disk 2 was corrupt when it was purchased.
Thumper
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Thumper » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:13 pm

I've bought four copies of LockOn Gold off of Half.com and have yet to get a bad one. I got all of them for under ten bucks each shipped... a couple of them I got for under 6 bucks shipped. Life is a crapshoot... to me dealing with the publisher at this point is more of a crapshoot than just finding some used ones cheap.

I don't know about you, but I can drop five bucks in a convenience store or grocery store quick and have very little to show for it. so really... what do you have to lose?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:20 pm

Thumper wrote:I've bought four copies of LockOn Gold...
Why do you have four (!) copies Thumper? :lol:

@Takeone, I would definitely get the download (web) version of FC like Panther suggested. You won't need to perform any weekly CD checks once it's activated! :wink:
takeone

Post by takeone » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:53 pm

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions...

Took Panther's advise and downloaded the FC software from the web.

I'll install tomorrow... and I'm sure all will be fine.

Thanks everyone again for all the help!
Thumper

Post by Thumper » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:06 pm

Lawndart wrote:
Thumper wrote:I've bought four copies of LockOn Gold...
Why do you have four (!) copies Thumper? :lol:
Two Phantom servers, one flying rig and one gaming laptop...sometimes they are all running FC simultaneously on the network :shock: ... 8) because I can...lol. :lol:

You may say...sure...okay...but why do you need four copies? The CD's pretty much live in those machines drives so I don't have to play "guess where your FC disk is" between four computers.
Luse

Post by Luse » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:32 am

Internet D/L, then you never have to play "where's the disk". :lol:
Thumper

Post by Thumper » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:22 pm

My disks will continue to work long after ED stops supporting their FC download customers. :wink:
takeone

Post by takeone » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:24 pm

First of all I want to thank EVERYONE and all the VTB's for helping me with the problems I had installing Flaming Cliffs. I ultimately purchased the downloadable version and got the VTB skins to work properly.

Problem was my computer is not up to the task to deal with not only the speed but the gfx needed for running properly.

SOOOOO, I bought a spiffy new PC with 4gig ram, GeForce gfx card with 1.3 meg of ram and an Intel Core Duo 2.5 Mhz machine just for "flying".

Only problem... VISTA!

I've successfully installed LockOn from the cd. Modman installs properly too...

LockOn plays, but my downloadable version of Flaming Cliffs won't install. When I get to the install window it gives me the opportunity to change or BROWSE where to install, but the BROWSE is grayed out. If I use the default location (D drive in this case... a partition of a 500 gig drive) it states the drive is not available.

If there is a post somewhere about installing on VISTA, I apologize, I didn't find it. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much folks!!!
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Hope this is the fix Vista/LockOn

For any other issues you may want to check out The Mother of all Stickies.

:wink:
takeone

Post by takeone » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:49 pm

Thanks for the help Panther... but still "no dice".

LockOn works, even the VTB mod works.

I just can't install Flaming Cliffs.

When I go to run the FC exe (I've been in the properties of the .exe and have changed to compatibility for WinXP SP2, and also run as administrator) it does two things:

When I get the dialogue as to where to install the BROWSE button is not accessible, and if I disregard that and say next I get:

"The drive does not exist or is not accessible"

The drive it's pointing to is the "D" drive and it has the LOMAC program installed on it.

Hmmmm... any ideas?
Talon

Post by Talon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:03 pm

takeone,
In an effort to try and help, let's take this one step at a time. Based upon your comment previous to mine, you should only install the VTB mod AFTER the Flaming Cliffs mod is installed and the 1.12b Vista patch for the DOWNLOAD version ( there are two versions of the 1.12b patch so take note that you have the correct one, if in doubt download the 1.12b patch again making certain you have the version for the downloadable flaming cliffs.)

1st. Install LockON to your C:/ drive.
2nd. Install Flaming Cliffs (download version) by right clicking the exe, run in compatibility mode for XP and as Administrator, then run it to install.
3rd. Install 1.12b patch for download version of Flaming Cliffs. Right click the exe and do same as above.
4th. Install Modman. Right click the exe and do same as above.
5th. Install VTB Mod.

After everything is installed, go back to the LockOn.exe file and right-click it to run in compatibility mode for XP and as Administrator. This should do it.

Due to changes in the way that Vista handles sound, you may encounter that it sounds as if you have the afterburners lit the whole time while in LockON, the fix for most has been to go to your LockOn/Sound/plane.cfg file, open it in notepad and edit it to look like this:

EngineAfterburnerSound = false;
EngineFrontSound = true;
EngineBackSound = true;
EngineAroundSound = true;
WindSound = false;
DistortionSound = false;
CockpitSystemsSound = true;
CockpitAfterburnerSound = true;

Then save it and your sounds will be more tolerable.

I hope it is just a matter that you may have downloaded the wrong patch version.
Good Luck.
takeone

Post by takeone » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:19 pm

Talon,

Thank you for t he information. I had done the proper procedure for installation, then tried different things. Maybe that's why my posted looked strange. I was trying different combinations.

So, I started from scratch with your instructions.

Install LOMAC from the CD...to the C drive... successful
Install Flaming Cliffs setup 1.1b (downloaded ver)... successful
Install Flaming Cliffs 1.12b patch... successful

Install ModMan... The install then gives the error:

"ModMan won't work with Flaming Cliffs installed in C:\Program Files x86\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamic\Lockon"

If I try to re-install Flaming cliffs to a different directory, the BROWSE button is grayed out.

FYI, I also did the properties revisions to all the exe's for compatability mode and admin...

:) Fun huh?
Talon

Post by Talon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:26 pm

Hm... I wish I had more info to help with.
Note: you don't have to install the 1.1 patch, only the 1.2b patch.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:02 pm

@Talon, 1.1b is Flaming Cliffs and not a patch per se. (Maybe you were thinking about 1.11 which is no longer necessary nor in distribution).

Please see our How to Install LockOn for correct procedures.

@Takeone, I'm not following why you would re-install Flaming Cliffs (?) if LO, then FC and its latest patch 1.12b already installed sucessfully (as you wrote yourself in your last post)! ModMan and any/or mods have nothing to do with the game installation itself, so it sounds from your last post that you are now having problems with 3rd party add-ons such as ModMan (and not LOFC itself). If so, make sure you download the latest version of ModMan (6.3.0.1) and research if there are any known Vista-isms to be aware of...
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:16 pm

You did follow the readme for ModMan right? If I am not mistaken you have to swap some files around per the readme.txt.