VNAO Carrier Mod

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Atlas

VNAO Carrier Mod

Post by Atlas » Mon May 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, I thought I would post about a little project that has been in the works for a few months now and has come a long way. I had purchased a F-14D Tomcat model from Meshfactory, I approached Racer about getting the model put into Lockon for a Naval community, that would be run and act just like the real United States Navy. He agreed to model the Tomcat for me, as this happened and I was posting on Lockon.ru about the progress, EricJ approached me with a model he had purchased from Meshfactory as well. We asked Racer if he would like to model the F-18F Super Hornet of Eric's as well. This was turning into a pretty big project. Later to find out that Racer had also purchased a new Carrier to be put into the sim. I mean WOW, not only two new aircraft but a brand new BOAT!! What more could we ask for??

Well to say the least the project has come a long way from that picture. As of right now the Tomcat is being beta tested and is just about complete.

The Super Hornet is getting ready to have animations and textures being added to her. She should be a really beauty in the sky.

Also who could forget about the new Boat??? She just got the hull added to her this morning but still needs a lot of work.

And wouldn't you know it, we added another aircraft to this already huge mod. The EA-6B Prowler will be joining the fleet as well to serve next to the Tomcat and Super Hornet.

We are very pleased with the progress that we have made and if you would like to check in on the projects we have an entire dedicated just to this www.carrierpilots.com or you can join us over at www.virtualnavairops.com , we look forward to seeing you and I will be updating here as new news is released. Happy hunting and see you on deck.

-Metero
"The pilot formerly know as Sabertooth" :D
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Mon May 26, 2008 1:07 pm

Totally awesome!

Good job Racer modding all this.
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Mon May 26, 2008 1:08 pm

Yes he is doing an amazing job. We have him modeling and Badger is texturing the models.
Stryker

Post by Stryker » Tue May 27, 2008 7:05 pm

Nice
Last edited by Stryker on Sat May 31, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri May 30, 2008 9:12 pm

Stryker wrote:Nice post Metero, but it doesn't appear to be getting much in the way of reception here.
I've been reading about this at the ED forums thread for some time. That thread has been around for a while and received lots of attention.

@Metero, keep us posted and let us know how the framerates turn out with that poly-count when you do your first formation fly-by over the carrier once the mod is nearing completion. 8)
Last edited by Lawndart on Sat May 31, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sat May 31, 2008 5:09 am

I think it is about time to send her out to sea?? What do you think??? She is getting there.

Racer:"Well here she is boys in all her glory!
This completes all the detail pieces she will have and man does she have detail.
I have figured out how to get a landing light system working where we will now even be able to "CALL THE BALL"!
Remember, this was a 3 MILLION! polygon model and what you see here is ready......46,345 polys!! WoooHoo!
With 95% of this thing that gray 8x8 texture, she should have some great FPS.
We will now add the deck details until we all feel the FPS is in trouble.
We need to find where that point is.
I want to finish all the lights and catch wire animations next before the next beta release.
I'll be away racing this weekend to this is as far as she will go until next week."

And will do LD. I know we are really looking forward to a lot of fleet time with these babies.
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:26 pm

Extra, Extra read all about it, Super Hornet and Tomcat join each other on the time line. :D

Joker

Post by Joker » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:57 pm

Metero, looking great man, keep up the great work! =)
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:19 am

Racer: "I have finished mapping the front nose gear system."

Racer: "The landing gear texture mapping is now completed.
Now on to the final texture mapping area....the cockpit."

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:19 am

Badger has the Tomcat skins coming along. :D

And a Super Hornet update as well:

Racer:"Finally...all of the modelling and texture mapping is completed.
Uggg...I hate that part.
Total Final Polygon Count: 47,862
Now, on to the animations. The end is in sight."

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:13 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, she is on her way. She should be hitting the Beta Teams this weeks. I give you the frontline fighter of the United States Navy. Your F-18F Super HORNET!!!!!

Racer:"Hook down and pouring on the lift!
All tail surfaces are now completly animated.
Just the gear, cockpit and lighting left...mmmmmmm"
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:47 am

Well looks like a new tanker will be making its arrival in Lockon. I present not only the F-18F Super Hornet in the attack role, but also as a gas station.

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:15 pm

Come and get it while it is HOT everyone. The VNAO would like to gladly announce that the F-14D Tomcat is now ready for the public to fly. Visit www.virtualnavairops.com or www.carrierpilots.com to get the download.
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:44 am

Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been way overdue for an update on the forums. The Super Hornet has come a long way, she is starting to get the squadron skins put on her. Rotor and Badger have come a long way. They are adding the "working mans" paint on her. Here are some pics of VFA-143's Pukin Dogs 105 paint scheme.

Also Racer has been working on getting the Prowler into the air. She is going through 3D Max right now. She already has some of the Black Ravens markings on her tail.

Clean Tail

Even the pretty planes have to do some work every now and then right?

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:54 am

Ladies and Gentleman I have few updates for you. Huge news, as of right now VNAO has made the decision to put the Prowler on the shelf as of right now. Instead we are going to be updating to the Growler program. Since Super Hornets are taking over all jobs it seems in the fleet now. Does not mean the Prowler will never been done, it will just give us more time to work on other projects like this.

Racer:"After many many hours this evening of experimenting, I believe the VNAO has
yet another first (and perhaps the biggest in Lock On) on our resume.
A..(get this)..BRAND! NEW! COCKPIT!!!
FROM SCRATCH!!!!
That actually works! (bonus)"

Who is ready for an F-14 Tomcat Cockpit???