Lock On GOLD

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Ripper

Lock On GOLD

Post by Ripper » Thu May 01, 2008 6:14 pm

Hey Guys, I recently bought Lock On Gold. What do I need to get (patches, downloads, etc.) in order to fly online and possibly fly with everyone else at one point?

Any advice would be appreciated! :D

Ripper
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Thu May 01, 2008 11:47 pm

Ripper, welcome to our forums!
If you go to our FAQ in the library, you will find a section on installing the files needed to fly with us or in our Phantom server. You will also find links on the home page to Lock-On sites with all the scoop on the on-line experience. It can be a little confusing at first, but it's all out there. If you get stuck, look for us in Ventrilo & we will help you get started.
-Gunner
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri May 02, 2008 1:15 am

@Ripper, you should have two discs in your box: LOMAC & Flaming Cliffs. Install those first, in that order, then grab the correct patch from here to bring your copy of the game to version 1.12b. NOTE: There are several different patches called 1.12b depending on what format your Flaming Cliffs is (there's a web-version too, and a European only patch for the Gold disc). If you purchased LockOn Gold in the states, I'm pretty sure you need the one called:
Lock ON Patch - 1.1 (CD installed) to 1.12b.

Once all that's done, you're ready to fly and I'd suggest following up on what Gunner said about checking out our FAQs, files page and even the Mother of all Stickies to proceed.

Here are two recently added links from the Mother of all Stickies thread that you'll find very useful:
Kon Air Help Desk: LOMAC FAQ's & INTEL
Kon Air Help Desk: Important Installation Items

Now, that should be more than enough to get you started. 8)
Ripper

Post by Ripper » Fri May 02, 2008 5:21 pm

Thanks for the info Gunner and Lawndart. I'll try that! If i get stuck I'll let ya know.

Ripper :D
Ripper

Post by Ripper » Tue May 20, 2008 8:23 pm

Guys, I got L.O. Gold a while back but havent had time to load everything up and play it. Well I think my computer lacks a proper graphics card to play it. The sound and audio is caught up and running, but the graphics are like a slide show. Am I right in assuming I need a better graphics card???? :?
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue May 20, 2008 8:58 pm

Can you list your system specs? It may be your processor and memory also.
Ripper

Post by Ripper » Tue May 20, 2008 10:53 pm

My computer is a........ 2002 Dell; Windows XP sevice pack 2; Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz 640 MB, 15 GB Hard Drive :? i hope that could give you and idea if thats not what ya need, let me know.

Thanks for the Help!

Ripper
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue May 20, 2008 11:11 pm

Sounds like your memory may be on the very low end, also your CPU insn't quite up to par either. No two ways about it really, your computer sounds out dated. Most importantly though, what kind of graphics card are you running (that's really the back breaker)?

Look in your Control Panel -> System -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager -> Display adapters -> (Your graphics card will be listed here).
Ripper

Post by Ripper » Tue May 20, 2008 11:25 pm

Both games are loaded completely with all of the patches. The audio runs smooth it's just the graphics that are very slow..... Ive upgraded the memory in my comp. a while back. It has way more than it did stock......... here's the graphics card; Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. Let me know what else ya need.

Ripper
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed May 21, 2008 12:24 am

There's your biggest issue! Your graphics card is part of your Mobo and waaay under specs to run anything 3D gaming wise. You need to buy at least a nVidia 7-series graphics adapter (or ATI equivalent) to run any 3D apps. The onboard graphics cards, such as the one you have, are not meant to run games, and will not in most cases even for newer computers. Given that your rig is quite old, you probably have an AGP-interface, but you need to check your Mobo/manual for that. AGP by today's standards is an "outdated" interface replaced by PCI-E for graphics cards. Basically the slot is of a different kind and PCI-E is much faster. If you want to squeeze some life into your old computer you basically have to buy a stand-alone graphics adapter (as mentioned above) with an interface supported by your Mobo. Then your computer might (!?) run LockOn on lower graphics settings. The truth is, your computer is really "singing on the last verse" when it comes to hoping it will be able to run much of anything of today's games. You'd be best off building a new system sometime soon...

With a new(er) graphics card though, you may be able to run LockOn. Go to www.newegg.com and search for ATI & nVidia graphics cards that are supported by your interface (either AGP or PCI-E). I know they have nVidia 7-series in both AGP/PCI-E and that would probably fit your bill without going overboard for a computer that's already pretty old. See what you come up with, but check your "interface" type first so you buy the correct one.

P.S. Your avatar is over the size limit, which is why it keeps getting removed.
Ripper

Post by Ripper » Wed May 21, 2008 6:11 pm

Thanks for the help Lawndart! I'll see what I can do.

Ripper
Ripper

Post by Ripper » Wed May 21, 2008 6:35 pm

Lawndart, which one of these cards would be better.........BFG - GeForce 7300 GT Graphics Card.....or...... BFG - GeForce 7300 GT Graphics Card ?
I'm determinded to make this whole thing work! :)

Ripper
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Wed May 21, 2008 9:09 pm

Ripper wrote:Lawndart, which one of these cards would be better.........BFG - GeForce 7300 GT Graphics Card.....or...... BFG - GeForce 7300 GT Graphics Card ?
I'm determinded to make this whole thing work! :)

Ripper
Am I smoking crack or are those the exact same card :? :wink:

I'm not LD, but a 7300GT can handle LOMAC. A 7300GT or 7600GT would be a good option. LOMAC is a CPU bottlenecked game so once you have that video card your Processor and RAM will be the system's weak points. If you're willing to spend $100 on a new video card you may consider saving about $500 and buying a new PC. Even if you get the new video card you still will not be able to max out LOMAC, you'll get decent results, but a new system will be able to handle to task easily. Just be sure not to get onboard graphics again. Windows XP if its available.
Ripper

Post by Ripper » Wed May 21, 2008 10:24 pm

Oops yeah I meant to put a different card the second time, but oh well. Thanks!
Razor-71

Post by Razor-71 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:24 am

Lawndart wrote:@Ripper, you should have two discs in your box: LOMAC & Flaming Cliffs. Install those first, in that order, then grab the correct patch from here to bring your copy of the game to version 1.12b. NOTE: There are several different patches called 1.12b depending on what format your Flaming Cliffs is (there's a web-version too, and a European only patch for the Gold disc). If you purchased LockOn Gold in the states, I'm pretty sure you need the one called:
Lock ON Patch - 1.1 (CD installed) to 1.12b.

Once all that's done, you're ready to fly and I'd suggest following up on what Gunner said about checking out our FAQs, files page and even the Mother of all Stickies to proceed.

Here are two recently added links from the Mother of all Stickies thread that you'll find very useful:
Kon Air Help Desk: LOMAC FAQ's & INTEL
Kon Air Help Desk: Important Installation Items

Now, that should be more than enough to get you started. 8)
Uhmmmm...
Today is arrived my Lock On Gold box from UK...
First I've installed the cd called '1' and so LOMAC is installed...
but when insert the second cd, it loads the startup screen, I choose INSTALL, and then the drive read and read but nothing installs.
Is the second cd Starforce protected (I experienced the same problem with an another game I bought some years ago, that was Starforce protected) or what ??? I'll retry for a couple of times.

EDIT: Ok , installation done!!!
Now I have 2 icons: START LOCKON and LOCKON FLAMING CLIFFS on my desktop, what is the right one to play?