Rendering in 2X

Aviation & Simulation Topics
lqcorsa

Rendering in 2X

Post by lqcorsa » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:28 pm

Hey I'm familiar with how the VTB record tracks at half or even slower speed, then increase the speed while editing. I have a track that I recorded with fraps at 1/3 speed, and I was wondering how you guys are able to speed it up inside of Vegas AND render it at that speed. Thanks!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:30 pm

If you captured footage in 1/3 speed, you'll need to speed it up by a 3.00 ratio in Vegas. (1/3 or 0.3333 * 3.00 = 0.9999 ~ 1.00 which is normal speed).

The rendering playback speed is determined by what the playback rate properties for the track/editing are set to (there is no render speed option). BTW, if you're using Lock-On and slow things down with the ALT-A key, each key stroke slows things down in half, so the speeds would be 0.5x, then 0.25x, etc. This means you'll need to double the playback rate for half-speed captures (a 2.00 ratio), and quadruple it for quarter-speed captures (a 4.00 ratio) in the Vegas track properties.

Note: This doesn't in any way improve the time it takes to render a video. That still takes A LOT of time regardless! (i.e. a full day more or less)... ;)
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:45 am

Yeah, I understood all of that. I was wondering exactly HOW you increased the speed within Vegas itself. But after hours of Google-ing, I found it under the keyword "Time Compression". Works like a charm on making your films smoother. Thanks though, LD :) .
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:28 pm

I've found that recording at .25 and speeding up by 4 in vegas offers very nice results however it's very time consuming capturing and rendering the video. :)
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:16 am

In Vegas you can speed up any clip in its entirety by right clicking the clip and selecting properties. Playback speed is adjustable there and it doesn't require a time compression effect that will slow down render times.