First VTB movie

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Luse

First VTB movie

Post by Luse » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:06 pm

Closed by me.
Last edited by Luse on Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:13 pm

Glad to see that Smoke On camera wasn't moving like that.

Nice paused camera on the 4 plane cross, show the perfection of the maneuver.

Love the bloopers too. "ALOT MORE PULL".

And I'm also happy to see that you guys were not as good as you are at the beginning. It shows that everyone can reach the level of your team with pratice.
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:14 pm

I remember when this video was first released. I still watch it every now and then. The boopers in the end are pretty funny. The boss jet was flown by Lawndart, with the solo hits by retired VTB Striker. Also in the video are retired VTB's #3 SilentEagle, #4 Jarhead, and #6 Eagle36. In todays team the only original members are Lawndart and Burner. But that video was great. I remember bringing it into ROTC and showing the class on the teacher's projector. The crossover was very nicely done, as was the knife-edge pass, absolutely spectacular. But the team has only gotten better, and still gets better with every performance. 8)
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:42 pm

b17tony wrote:The boss jet was flown by Lawndart, with the solo hits by retired VTB Striker. Also in the video are retired VTB's #3 SilentEagle, #4 Jarhead, and #6 Eagle36. In todays team the only original members are Lawndart and Burner. But that video was great.
Lawndart (a.k.a. I) wasn't on the team yet. Not until a few months after did I join. The Leader is NYFlyer, the first Virtual Thunderbird Boss! Also, Eagle36 (a.k.a. Toast) wasn't part of the team yet either, so the only member still on the team as of today, (from back when this movie was done 2004) is Burner. The credits have all the information, but I understand it's easy to miss with the blooper reel... :wink:
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:47 pm

Ah gotcha. I was going by a screenshot that I guess is a little more recent than that movie. It has all the pilots names over the jets. Thanks for clearing it up for me.
BonJobie
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by BonJobie » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:22 pm

We also ask that the circulation of this movie be very discreet as the bloopers, although "funny" in the virtual world can be compared to real world demonstrations accidents. Early on the real Thunderbird team was shown this clip and it doesn't require much imagination to realize that they were not amused. You will have noticed that since this movie you will never again see the Thunderbirds represented in that manner.

Nevertheless, this first VTB movie was the one that grabbed me and, well 3 years later the rest is history... good stuff.

Bon
HALEN

Post by HALEN » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:20 am

BonJobie wrote:We also ask that the circulation of this movie be very discreet as the bloopers, although "funny" in the virtual world can be compared to real world demonstrations accidents. Early on the real Thunderbird team was shown this clip and it doesn't require much imagination to realize that they were not amused. You will have noticed that since this movie you will never again see the Thunderbirds represented in that manner.

Nevertheless, this first VTB movie was the one that grabbed me and, well 3 years later the rest is history... good stuff.

Bon
That's a great point. Like all the teams, I'm sure the real life counterparts frequent these sites/message boards alot. Like you, I saw this shortly after it was developed and was blown away by the idea of online formation flying. But, the bloopers, for me, showed the realism of it. Funny yes.........but unprofessional, absolutely. But, at the time all of this was still kinda new. Guess you had to test the waters a little and by testing the waters, look where this has grown into today.

Just wish I had saved that video to my hard drive. It was a fantastic, fun video. Oh well, guess I'll just have to remember it in memory!!

**Salute VTB's**
HALEN
What is understood doesn't need to be discussed
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:00 pm

HALEN wrote:...Like all the teams, I'm sure the real life counterparts frequent these sites/message boards alot.
I doubt current pilots/team members visit a lot. These men and women are so busy during their tours on the team, and unless someone runs things by their desk, their agenda is usually filled up 365 days of the year as it is. Alumni, honoraries and other Air Force personnel are more common that we hear from...
HALEN wrote:...the bloopers, for me, showed the realism of it. Funny yes.........but unprofessional, absolutely. But, at the time all of this was still kinda new. Guess you had to test the waters a little and by testing the waters, look where this has grown into today.
Different time for sure! Only one person is still on our team from the time this was made and it was definitely from an "age" prior to our current existence (as an LLC, sponsors etc) and having the knowledge base we have today. We've come a long ways since then and formed friendships no one had thought possible back then...

P.S. Anyone notice that every maneuver but the Bomb Burst in this vintage movie was flown in the wrong direction? :oops: :lol:
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:20 pm

Lawndart wrote:P.S. Anyone notice that every maneuver but the Bomb Burst in this vintage movie was flown in the wrong direction? :oops: :lol:
Now that I watched it again, yes! :lol: Just wish SilentEagle eased up on the camshake and focusing a bit!
HALEN

Post by HALEN » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:24 pm

At the risk of knowing better.......

LD, have you guys ever thought about making a "Classic VTB" mod? I just watch the old movie from late 70's and for me, I always thought the T-38 was such a sleek looking jet that the TB's used.

I'm sure I am asking a question that has been asked...oh I dunno, 2,000 times at least..... :D

And on a side note, getting to enjoy an airshow pretty much everyday while war games are going on at KBAD, (Barksdale). Live about 3 miles from the base and every morning I see th 917th A-10, The 52's and 2 squads in town taking part in the games. 1 group is flying the F-16 and the other group are in the great looking T-38. They wake us up every morning skimming the tree tops over at home. Nothing like drinking coffee and watching them play.

*Salute**
HALEN
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:56 pm

HALEN wrote:LD, have you guys ever thought about making a "Classic VTB" mod? I just watch the old movie from late 70's and for me, I always thought the T-38 was such a sleek looking jet that the TB's used.
You have no idea how often we've thought of that! Seems there's presently a delay at the assembly line in our factory however...

We'd very much want a hangar full of accurate models of the present and past Tbirds, at least dating back to the F-100D days (since they flew the trusty Super Sabre for such a long time and there's plenty of reference material for those shows around the 1960's).

The F-84G, F-84F, F-105B weren't used for long periods on the real team, so in the order of "most used/most wanted" models I think our dreamsheet would go something like: F-16C/D Block 52, F-16C/D Block 32, T-38, F-100C or F-100D, F-4E.

Back on topic, it's with mixed feelings we look back at this video. For many of us, it was what lead us to this team in the first place. Now, however, and being perfectionists, there is so many inaccuracies and faux pas. :oops: It's from a different time and what we often forget is that the version of LockOn at the time did not have the netcode of 1.1 and beyond, coupled with slower internet speeds, pioneering pilots not being as proficient as we are now etc. It's definitely a feat in itself for its time, but it's with mixed feelings we look back at it. Part nostalgia, part feeling a tad queasy. (We just didn't know, what we didn't know yet - you know)! :wink: Top that off with the blooper reel... Who would have thought it would be our introduction to the real team, and therefore make the bridge between virtual and real very brittle from the get go. As I'm sure most, if not everyone can tell, ever since then we've taken a truly professional course as a team, developed business opportunities and made a conscious decision to portray any flying as Virtual Thunderbirds not only accurately, but procedurally sound and in line with the USAF Thunderbird mission.
HALEN

Post by HALEN » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:33 pm

Well, like you said, times were different then and there were so many unknowns about the impact this sim, esp the formation flying side of it, and how it would expand and grow into what it is today.

All the teams sites that I've lurked at, and now joining this one along with the VBA's, you guys have gone WAY out of the way to make sure that the respected counterparts of all teams are represented respectfully. (Was that a runon sentence???) :wink:

You guys have something to be proud of, even as far back at the beginning of this whole thing.

**Salute**

HALEN
BonJobie
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by BonJobie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:39 pm

I have said that if anything would bring me out of retirement it would be to fly the -38 again.........or the Phantom!! At the rate our "factory" is producing new aircraft I could have a full retirement before the Talon or Phantom show up! :) Right now Brett Favre and I are hanging out in complete and real retirement. 8)

Bon
HALEN

Post by HALEN » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:44 pm

BonJobie wrote:I have said that if anything would bring me out of retirement it would be to fly the -38 again.........or the Phantom!! At the rate our "factory" is producing new aircraft I could have a full retirement before the Talon or Phantom show up! :) Right now Brett Favre and I are hanging out in complete and real retirement. 8)

Bon
That's a shame that you will enjoy a "Full Retirement" before the 38 comes into the hanger. :( Enjoy the retirement anyways. Ahh, but wouldn't that 38 in the red, white and blue colors be a fun ride?

Tell Brett that I enjoyed seeing him play ball in the Independence Bowl... many... many sunsets ago. 8)

**Salute** Boss

HALEN
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:28 pm

HALEN wrote:...before the 38 comes into the hanger.
The inner workings of a hanger...

...and the inside of a hangar! ;)

Just messin' with ya! :lol: