MSFS Virtual Airshow -- February 2-3

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Tomcatboy48237

MSFS Virtual Airshow -- February 2-3

Post by Tomcatboy48237 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:21 am

There's going to be a virtual airshow the first weekend in February on the Hawkflyers server. All of the performance slots are full, but everyone is welcome to come and watch. The thread on ASB is where we are planning it, so check it out.

http://www.airshowbuzz.com/forums/index ... topic=2124

Ryan
Nate Burrows

Post by Nate Burrows » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:43 am

Yes, Come out to the Davenport Airport (Kdvn) on both days and enjoy a show that you might never see again, as the Theme of the show is "Dream Teams of Virtual Aviation". Various different teams like the Virtual Horsemen, Virtual Red Bull, Stunt Team, Virtual X-Team, and the Virtual Blue Angels performing a Legacy of Naval Aviation. Ending the show are two hometown people flying the most advance aircraft in the US Inventory the F/A-18 Super Hornet and the F-22 Raptor. See you there!

www.freewebs.com/greatiowaairshow
Nate Burrows
Ignite

Post by Ignite » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:49 am

Is this for FSX or FS9?
Tomcatboy48237

Post by Tomcatboy48237 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Both. You can use either one to connect to the server, although if you're using FSX you'll need to download FSHostClient (small and free) from the link below. Then, just start a free flight on FSX and use FSHostClient to connect to the server (fshf.hopto.org).

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost ... lient.html

Ryan
Tomcatboy48237

Post by Tomcatboy48237 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:20 am

I got the aircraft pack for the show posted last night. It has every aircraft you need to view the show and is available at the link below. The only problem is that it's 771Mb in size.

http://www.AirshowStuff.com/airshowpack.zip

Here is the schedule for the show, although Sunday will probably have less acts.
*SUNDAY SHOW TIME STARTS AT 11:30AM EST*

Schedule:
12:05 EST (SATURDAY START TIME)
F-16 Flyover
12:15 Aerobatics Start
Bellanca Decatholn Aerobatics (Flying Buckeye)
Twin Otter Launch
P-51 Mustang Demo (Bill Bessler)
Mass Para Jump #1
A-10 Demo (Wildcat)
F9F Panther Demo (Flyin Illini)
Bell 412 (BravoFrostOne)
Virtual Team Red Bull (Nate Burrows Extra 300)
Virtual Team Red Bull Extra 300 vs Xteam car
Virtual Team Red Bull (Slick Mig 15)
Stunt Team (Frost,Tomcat,Slick,Ghost,Flyin Illini)
F-16 Viper Demo (Tomcat)
AV8B Harrier Demo (Flying Buckeye)
Eurofighter Typhoon Demo (MrJake2002)
Virtual X-Team C-5 Demo (Andy)
Virtual X-Team Performance (Ricky,Andy,Hockey, Sam Larson)
Christen Eagle Aerobatics (Bill Bessler)
CF-18 Hornet Demo (Airshowfan)
Virtual Horseman Team (Flying Buckeye,MrJake2002,mictheslik)
"Legacy of U.S. Naval Aviation" (Virtual Blue Angels LLC)
Me262 Review (Flyin Illini)
F/A-18 Super Hornet Demo (Sam Larson)
F-22 Raptor Demo (Rhino)
Show Ends
Don't forget there will be narration and music on Teamspeak at the same IP.

After the show a lot of us usually stay around and fly for a bit, so even though the show is full you can still fly with us afterwards.

Ryan
Ells

Post by Ells » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:40 am

Great line up, hope the show goes well for all teams :D
Ignite

Post by Ignite » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:03 pm

A few questions. What time does the show start, how exactly do I connect (I have FSHostClient). Also, any other details I need to know?
Tomcatboy48237

Post by Tomcatboy48237 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:11 pm

It starts around noon EST on Saturday and around 11am EST on Sunday, to allow for the Super Bowl.

To connect with FSHostClient, just open it, go to Multiplayer -> Connect. Pick a Player name (Ignite) and for the IP enter fshf.hopto.org. Make sure the port is set to 23456 and hit search. You should see a session appear in the box below. Click it and click connect. Now just start FSX and setup a free flight. Go to Davenport (KDVN) and sit where the spectators are (we can tell you when you get there). Sit in the PA Dude included in the airshow pack and use virtual cockpit to pan around and follow the planes. In FSX you can hit shift-O which lets you pan your view with the mouse. It's a lot easier than using a hat switch. If you have teamspeak connect to the server at the same IP so you can hear the music and narration. You may notice that some planes seem to jump a bit, but that's a product of the way FSHostClient connects and can't be helped.

Also, anyone planning on attending should read the following:
To all airshow participants and spectators.

Please download and run this program that I am linking to. It will check and make sure you have the proper ports open on your router if you use one so we can have smooth sailing and get everyone connected. We've had problems in the past with people not being able to connect because FS is finnicky with its port system. PLEASE do this for everybody!

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/FSPortTest.exe
Ryan
Ignite

Post by Ignite » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:07 pm

Confused. I loaded all of the aircrafts in, but when I open up the game it shows a pic of say the Boeing 747, but its description (name) is the F/A-18F... It does this for all of them and most of my original planes aren't showing up, so I cant fly them. What do I do? (BTW these aircrafts are for the airshow this weekend).
Tomcatboy48237

Post by Tomcatboy48237 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:02 pm

Wow, I have no idea why that would happen, assuming you copied the aircraft folders into the Airplanes folder. I'll ask around and see what everyone says.

Ryan
Tomcatboy48237

Post by Tomcatboy48237 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:27 am

Glad to see you got on today Stotty.

Just letting everyone know that in order to reduce lag on the performers we're going to password protect the server during each act. We will remove the password and have a gap between acts so that anyone who wants to can join. Please join the server in the PA Dude and then sit with the crowd.

If you try to join the server and can't get in, either get on TS to listen for the gap or just keep trying.

Ryan
Tomcatboy48237

Post by Tomcatboy48237 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:06 pm

Well, we had one hell of a bad day, stemming from the eight or so server crashes on both FS and TS. We spent about two hours searching for servers that wouldn't go down only to see them go down in flames. Most of the people called it quits after that but a few of us stuck around and ended up on a server hosted by myself. We finished up the show ourselves and actually ended up having a great time. I'll be trying to get an FSX friendly pack out tonight with at least some of the planes. If you're looking to come tomorrow, we'll be on my TS and FS servers which should be at IP 141.213.219.56

If you want to see some screenshots from today, check out these two threads:
http://www.airshowbuzz.com/forums/index ... topic=2669
http://www.airshowbuzz.com/forums/index ... st&p=45031

Ryan
Tomcatboy48237

Post by Tomcatboy48237 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:24 pm

I compacted the airshow pack down and took out a few planes I don't think you'll see flying tomorrow, so hopefully it will work with FSX now. Those of you having issues should try downloading this pack instead of the other one. It's a somewhat smaller 618 MB

http://www.airshowstuff.com/airshowpack2.zip

Just a reminder, the IP will be 141.213.219.56 for both TS and FS.

Ryan