Mig 29K and F-15E

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Dash

Mig 29K and F-15E

Post by Dash » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:49 pm

Hello everyone, if you are interested, I was just scootin' around and found a picture of this Mig-29K. Take a look at how similar it looks to the F-15

Mig - http://www.aerosfera.ru/postcards/ser1/fotos/mig29k.jpg ... you have to squint kindu' a lot to make it look like the F-15.. ha

F-15 - http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Misc/2371L.jpg

..at least they look similiar to me...

what do you think?

-Dash
TBT_Piper

Post by TBT_Piper » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:10 pm

I must not be squinting right because they look nothing alike besides 2 engines and a bubble canopy and twin vertical stabilizers. :roll:

I guess you are saying they are similar in features.
USAF_Soldier

Post by USAF_Soldier » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:25 pm

i would have to say that the Mig has more angle on the wings then the f15 and thats all i have to day about diffreinces
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:17 pm

Who said size doesn't matter? The F-15 is a much bigger airplane than the Mig-29 and I seriously doubt the 15 could even come close to out-turning a Mig in a dogfight. I saw the Swifts fly many years ago back in Europe and although they don't fly quite as tight as the American demonstration teams (the Birds and Blues), their solo performances have us beat hands down! Saying the F-15 looks like a Mig-29 is like saying an Airbus looks like a Boeing. For the unfamiliar eye it might appear that way at first, but for a trained eye there's no doubt there are major (!) design differences and you unmistakably identify each plane without any hitch, especially considering the size difference!

LawnDart
Dash

Post by Dash » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:27 pm

man, I knew I would get completely repped on for saying that they are similiar in looks. Just for a second, they looked very similiar. And of course I know they arn't the same in performance, etc. And please note, my eye is quite far from "untrained" in the aviation genre.

-Dash
lieutfunaki

Post by lieutfunaki » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:58 pm

I have to side with Dash on this one. Anyone can tell the difference between a Mig 29, an SU-27 series, and an f-15. The mig 29 was designed with the expressed purpose of challenging the turning performance of the f-16, which definitely puts it's close range dogfight ability in an entirely different class than the f-15. I don't think Dash was suggesting they are identical in performance or looks.

Anyone with a "trained eye" could tell the difference between the mig and the "Boeing" (former MD) but they also have some similarities. The Migs seem to have followed similar formulas for most of their fighters post the mig 23 (i.e. horizontal twin vertical stabs, twin engines) which they share with the f-15. In fact, other than the f-14, f-15, migs, and sukhois, I am not sure there are many twin horizontal tailed aircraft. Just because they don't look identical (i.e. you can tell the difference), doesn't mean they don't share features, and certainly doesn't mean that in pictures from certain angles there isn't a striking resemblance.

If you were to enlarge the overall size of the mig 29, raise the inlets slightly so they were flush with the bottom of the fuselage, reduce the angle of the wings, and add a larger radar (consequently changing the nose from its down swept attack angle)...and maybe added some landing gear that didn't look so ghetto...you'd have something that resembled an f-15 pretty darn well. In the end, that isn't much to change.

Careful how quick you are to point to another's "mistake" guys, you never know when you may make an identification error, or mispeak, yourselves. Of the fighter aircraft out there, I'd say the mig 29 MOST closely resembles the f-15 in proportion and defining features. I can't think of a situation in which I might confuse them, and up till now I haven't, but I'm not going to be so bold as to say it could never happen. Humility is a virtue, pride is a weakness.
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be good.®

Athlon 64 3200+, 3 GB DDR 400, GeForce 7600GS 512MB, 21" monitor
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:05 pm

Apples and oranges... Porches and Corvettes...

They are of the same breed! If I offended anyone (didn't mean to hamper on ya Dash), my sincerest apologies - but having seen both the Fulcrum and Eagle up close (just like the cucumber and bananas I have in my kitchen...) I can tell there are major differences from something that looks similar at first. Didn't mean for this to get out of hand, so sorry for that.

LawnDart
TBT_Piper

Post by TBT_Piper » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:04 am

Can't we all agree to disagree?
lieutfunaki

Post by lieutfunaki » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:43 pm

TBT_Piper wrote:Can't we all agree to disagree?

The problem with that idea, is that now we all agree ;-)
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be good.®

Athlon 64 3200+, 3 GB DDR 400, GeForce 7600GS 512MB, 21" monitor
TBT_Piper

Post by TBT_Piper » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:48 pm

lieutfunaki wrote:
TBT_Piper wrote:Can't we all agree to disagree?

The problem with that idea, is that now we all agree ;-)

Hmmmmm seems that you are correct in your assumption, but I am still gonna have to disagree with you. ;)

Let's just say that they both have some features that are similar.