How to start new team?

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Cowboy

How to start new team?

Post by Cowboy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:59 pm

I am thinking about starting a new team, how do I go about that?
Malignant

Post by Malignant » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:36 am

lol
Rock
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Rock » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Just quickly off the top of my head here are some ideas:
  1. A new team needs pilots who can fly formation. They need time, equipment, desire, determination, ability, attitude, organization and the ability to work together as a team. So what I'd suggest is to attempt to find other virtual pilots that you enjoy flying and with and you'll naturally become your own team.
  2. A new team needs direction. What type of formation flying do you want to do? How many seats do you want to fill? What type of aircraft do you want to fly? What skin are you going to use? What type of show are you doing to attempt to fly? Are you going to have a website and forum?
  3. A new team is only as good as the person(s) who are managing it. It takes an enormous amount of time to facilitate all the aspects of virtual team. Are you willing to put this time in?
  4. Have you thought about joining another virtual team and getting as much wing time as possible? This is the best way to learn about formation flying and about the different aspects of running a virtual team.
I could go on forever, but that is a start and I wish you the best of luck on what you decide. Regardless of what you come up with the foundation needs to be the flying and if you are flying well with positive energetic people then the team will come together naturally. Good luck!
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:54 pm

Cowboy.......most of the Virtual Aerobatic Teams in lockon have a hard time finding pilots and to keep the Team alive......
Ofcourse, starting your own team has something what you can subscribe as "romantic"....but in reality it is everything but that. To get a stable team and a good program will take at least 1 year (if you are lucky to survive that critical period).
Next to that you need to have a lot of experience and knowledge with both leading a group of people and the flying itself (both leading and wing).
My advice to you is to save yourself all the work which is quite likely to be for nothing and join one of the teams out there.
Here is a list of the LockOn Aerobatic Teams out there: Link
Think it over ;)
If you still decide to start a team at your own I wish you all the best!
goonybird

new team

Post by goonybird » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:28 pm

one thing i want to emphasize is to have a complete a "package" as is possible before you go public and start recruiting......
i spent a tour of duty as commander of the virtual red arrows, building the team from scratch: recruiting and building the infrastructure "on the fly"....
i can tell you that you will save a lot of excess stomach acid, headaches, and hair replacement bills if you and/or another dedicated comrade take the time [slowly] to think out, create and solidify any and all aspects of the teams existance. for example, i too am in the process [since early 2006] of building an organization of my own, currently writing the team manual. in it will be everything from the formations we will fly, maps of our area, files/peripheral equipment necessary, terms we will use, show sequences, and, yes even a code of conduct and disciplinary procedures!.... even beyond the manual other things will be in place: phantom trainer curricula, website, skins, signitures/team graphics... all this is to insure stability, that all are on the same sheet of music from the start...
...as also said in the replies above, spend some time in an established team, and "pick the brains" of the old hands, watch videos of other virtual and real-world teams, and practice, practice practice
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:18 am

Wow, listen to the gospel... :)

Some very good advice there. Starting a successful team and building longevity is no easy feat. While the core of a demo team is in its flying, flying itself is only the tip of the iceberg of a much more complex dynamic. Nowadays there are so many role models and blueprints of virtual squads to follow (not like the pioneering days a few of the "grandfather teams" went through), but the biggest thing new people forget to realize is that in the end it's all about the tight knit group and the team work (i.e. relationships within the squad).

When we recruit, our *only* flying criteria is that the candidate be able to stay with the Boss on the wing - we can teach the rest of the syllabus, but we cannot teach someone to be a good team player and person that we need to fit the role. Finding the right kind of person, not just pilot, is the hardest part and the reason the tryout process is a lengthy one. Anyone can fly, but fewer people can work together as a cohesive unit, while all being A-type personalities with lots of will power. That's also why it's important to never let up keeping a team organized and structured if it's to survive. We've always valued our people first and foremost, which is why piloting skill only accounts for a small portion of someone's application.

Some words of advice from a major league sports agent: "You can become good with great talent; however, great results require not only talent, but dedication, persistence, perseverance and practice!" - The same applies to formation flying and team work!

Don't mean to discourage you or anyone else from starting up a new team, but think it through and spend a good amount of time organizing before even taking to the skies.

It's all about the relationships / friendships, not the flying! Remember that...
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:55 pm

Didn't want to go that deep on it, but I double up every single word Lawndart says.
All truth!