FedEx Suicide Attack

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Atlas

FedEx Suicide Attack

Post by Atlas » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:51 am

I ran across the video on youtube and had heard the stories since I work for FedEx. A flight engineer attacked the crew of FedEx Flight 705 heading from Memphis to San Jose. He rode jump seat with the crew, a crew with two ex-navy pilots and a flight engineer. He attacked the three of them with hammers and spear guns. With some evasive flying from the ex-navy pilot and the other two struggling with the attacker, they end up subduing him and land the plane. The former FedEx flight engineer was found guilty and is sentenced to twenty years to life in prison. Here is a small clip from the documentary National Geographic did on it.

Video clip from Nation Geographic: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VpjXOzT0Ou0
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:04 pm

The would-be hijacker, a FedEx pilot who was to be terminated from the airline, was sentenced to life in prison in wake of the incident. Here are the tapes...

Download (320k) the aircraft's Air Traffic Control tape (part 1) in MP3 format.
Download (173k) the aircraft's Air Traffic Control tape (part 2) in MP3 format.
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:57 pm

Yes he was, unfourtanetly now due to that incident FedEx employess can no longer ride "Jump Seat" in the planes now.
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:37 pm

Just finished liseaning to the transmissions. Thanks for posting those LD.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:27 pm

Sabertooth wrote:Yes he was, unfourtanetly now due to that incident FedEx employess can no longer ride "Jump Seat" in the planes now.
Not true... FedEx crew members are still allowed, and AFAIK if you're CASS approved too (most airlines). 9-11, changed things much more than this incident, mainly due to the lack of a common system for background checks. Of course, no system at all could prevent someone who's as mentally twisted as this FedEx employee was, trying to mask his attack as an aircraft accident (he pulled the CVR circuit breaker twice before flight), so that his family would benefit from the 2.5 millon dollar life insurance policy he had... Just sick!
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:39 pm

Considering that sabey works for FedEx, I am pretty sure he would know if they were allowed or not LD. ;)

Thats probably one of the reasons why he never got on the 727 that landed right on base for Oceana's airshow. :x
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:44 pm

I can almost guarantee you that at least FedEx pilots can ride jump on their own birds! There would be hell to pay for the company if several hundred commuters couldn't get to work. I'm curious now, I might ask our jumpseat committee and see what they say as far as CASS and/or reciprocal agreements.

@Whack or Bon, you guys know about JS on FedEx and UPS?
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:24 pm

I am curious as well LD. I have just seen some of the people higher in the pecking order walking around with luggage for the flight. Probably the pilots like you said just in their buisness casual clothes. But I cant say I have seen or heard of just any employee able to do it anymore. I think now they are just giving us our $88 round trip standby, anywhere fairs for the airlines.
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:25 pm

Also Viper, careful with throwing my name out there. Things arent set in stone and also this is the talk that has flowed through the couriers of the station. Its not like we are managers or anything.
Whack
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Whack » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:59 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the attacker was a FE for FedEX right? That's why he was allowed access to the cockpit. I don't know about their policies with respect to other employees, but any airline pilot working for a 121 carrier (maybe 135 also) can jumpseat if their company is CASS approved.

I met with the FedEX guys a couple of months ago and they were very helpful in making sure AA pilots could ride to work on FedEX if necessary.

W.
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:37 pm

Yes, he was a flight engineer for FedEx. Actually he was suppose to be the FE for the FedEx 705 flight to San Jose. His original plan was to take on just the two pilots which would have included one woman, but the day before they went over their flight time by a few minutes so they could not do the flight. So the crew was replaced and he was riding jumpseat.
RFDGuy

Post by RFDGuy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:24 am

Hey LD I work for UPS in RFD (2nd larget air hub) and I'm 99.9% sure our pilots can ride jump seat from place to place....like you said thats alot of money and wasted time if they didnt allow at least their pilots to do so.
necigrad

Post by necigrad » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:23 pm

If you're CASS approved you can jump, regardless of the airline but pending PIC approval. What this screwed up is non pilot employees jumping. For example, before this I (as a weight and balance Lead) could jumpseat on my airline. No longer. This also kinda messed up (I think) pilots from OTHER airlines jumping. Jumpseat privilages are still extended, but you may be required to have a seat in the cabin, thus relegating it to simply a free nonrev flight.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:54 pm

I looked into this and offline jumpseaters are allowed, cabin as well as in the flightdeck! I'm not going to post the FedEx ALPA info here, but there are JS procedures in place and it would allow me for instance to occupy the JS (or FE seat if unused) in the cockpit. So, there you have it! FedEx pilots and other airline pilots alike can ride jump on FedEx.

I bet it would be quite a surreal world in the early wee hours, riding in the middle of night and having the 5 o'clock push take place at 2 in the morning while connecting in Memphis. Might have to try it sometime!
necigrad

Post by necigrad » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:31 am

I rode jumpseat LAS-EWR on an A320 on the redeye. It was quiet, pleasant, and the view was BEAUTIFUL! I hate you guys that get paid to see that! :-)