VFAT 2007

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Cobra » Thu May 31, 2007 3:44 am

Very Cool... I think the 23 aircraft loop, with all the different participating teams;draws ever closer!
Ells

Post by Ells » Thu May 31, 2007 7:07 am

Now that would be very cool to watch (and participate in).

I like the idea of the US / EU show times on the same day, and if tracks could be made available, then everyone can see them time independant of US or EU.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Thu May 31, 2007 6:04 pm

You got a very good idea there Kato! *Thumbs up!*
It certainly would be best to have only one mod and next to that, it is very awesome to see double seaters also! 8)

Another point, also I think that VFAT should be a no shooting zone. It can also mess up the server (buildings&stuff) which can couse slower FPS for the teams after.

Since there are still computers around which don't like LockOn very much, Razdolnoye Airbase will certainly be the home base for the VFAT again. But if the US servers and their participants agree to fly somewhere else I see no points not to do that (It would be even nicer I think, different server > different location ;) )

Ok, well, like last year I wouldn't mind to work out the time schedule again. Honestly, I can't wait for the Preliminary Registration Threat to be opened :roll:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu May 31, 2007 8:20 pm

Frazer wrote:Since there are still computers around which don't like LockOn very much, Razdolnoye Airbase will certainly be the home base for the VFAT again. But if the US servers and their participants agree to fly somewhere else I see no points not to do that (It would be even nicer I think, different server > different location ;) )
I was thinking along the same lines at first Frazer, but then the I thought... for it to really be part of the same world wide event, and in everyone's mind be part of the same air show, it really makes more sense to have it all at Razdolnoye! The home of VFAT! :wink:

One location (at least virtually), and an awesome number of teams in the lineup!
Kato

Post by Kato » Thu May 31, 2007 8:26 pm

Rotorblade wrote:What if someone doesn't have access to the 3ds file, can it still be done as long as it is an .lom file?

Talk about exciting!
Don't you guys have the .3ds model of the Tutor? It can be done with the .lom, but it means that "somebody" has to redo all the model animations for canopy, gear, flaps, ailerons, rudder etc. Takes quite a while as you can imagine - but yes, it is possible.
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Thu May 31, 2007 9:02 pm

I asked that on behalf of other people. For example if a team wanted to use the WF-33 (www.Lockon-models.com) on top of the f-15 flight model and they didn't have access to the 3ds file would you still be able to make it work in a single mod along with your F-18s and the F-16? Maybe this particular subject deserves its own thread or maybe you can point us to a thread somewhere else that documents the process.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:13 am

Rotorblade wrote:I asked that on behalf of other people. For example if a team wanted to use the WF-33 (www.Lockon-models.com) on top of the f-15 flight model and they didn't have access to the 3ds file would you still be able to make it work in a single mod along with your F-18s and the F-16? Maybe this particular subject deserves its own thread or maybe you can point us to a thread somewhere else that documents the process.
I believe the answer is no. The new ED tools I believe only allow outside models to be 3DS files, so your whatever that thing is would have to be a 3DS file or a .lom file, which is a Lomac code anyways. If you DID have the 3ds file, then absolutely it should be possible. I guess I would also ask, please don't tell me this is what you guys want to fly at VFAT!? What happened to your pretty Tutor mod? :lol:
Phantoms Phorever!
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:51 am

Rhino wrote: I believe the answer is no.
oh really!
Rhino wrote:The new ED tools I believe only allow outside models to be 3DS files, so your whatever that thing is would have to be a 3DS file or a .lom file, which is a Lomac code anyways. If you DID have the 3ds file, then absolutely it should be possible.

You believe? So you don't actually know. The WF33 has a .LOM file which should mean a yes it should work right?

Check it out the package if you want http://bvr.jpn.org/lockon/index_e.html

Heres a link to a screenshot of the plane
http://bvr.jpn.org/lockon/model/img/WF33_screen.jpg
Last edited by Rotorblade on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Racer

Post by Racer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:52 am

"on behalf of other people" Someone else asked us guys.
The Tutor's are doing fine and running quite well.
Always doing a few more tweeks to keep making them better and better.
I must say that I am interested in what Kato has posted about how to import the different 3ds. models into Lock-On. We have been plagued with not being able to display the numbers on the tail in this A-10 model and if he could point us in the right direction for the ED tool which can solve this I would be very grateful.
Burner

Post by Burner » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:12 am

I think the main question is whether the F/A-18C and F/A-18D are seperate .lom files linked via the meinit file or if the multiple models and paint jobs are all defined within 3Ds b/f export to .lom format.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:29 am

Racer wrote:"on behalf of other people" Someone else asked us guys.
The Tutor's are doing fine and running quite well.
Always doing a few more tweeks to keep making them better and better.
I must say that I am interested in what Kato has posted about how to import the different 3ds. models into Lock-On. We have been plagued with not being able to display the numbers on the tail in this A-10 model and if he could point us in the right direction for the ED tool which can solve this I would be very grateful.
I gotcha and sorry for the confusion. I sense a little tension here and lets not let that happen. I was trying to answer a question so there was no sense in getting hostile Rotor. I did not give a finite answer because I simply did not know and this is what I thought could be done. We are having a busy weekend and not sure if we'll be around much.

I'll let Kato answer all the model questions from here on out. I only fly the most beautiful plane ever designed for Lock-On, I didn't design it.
Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:26 am

Racer & Burner, you both ask good questions! I'd say "Kato the wizard" is your man to best answer these Qs... :!:

On a separate note (RB & Rhino), let's not let this turn into an argument from days gone by (making each team's mod/model available to everyone, anywhere at anytime). If it turns out a big all-inclusive mod can be done for VFAT it would be purely coincidental to, and a product of VFAT and I'm still sure that the author of each model within will provide their copyright or EULA (End-User-License-Agreement) attached with the mod. Let's accept those facts and focus on VFAT and solving the logistical problems incl. making a mod of this size, not anyone's secondary motives or why...

So, in the end all the ideas (and questions) to create one VFAT mod might provide the community with more than just a mod for that weekend... but one thing is for sure; with no big mod, we all lose or have to compromise in some ways!
beaster329

Post by beaster329 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:15 pm

that would be cool but i wish there was somthing out there so all the teams who use the f-15 mod can be in the same server with their own mod on :(
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:24 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what Kato is working on here :!:

beaster329, your avatar was monsterous in size! I removed it from your profile. Check our forum rules for max size allowed. Thanks!
Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:25 pm

LOL thats like max size times 3 :lol: