VFAT 2007

Aviation & Simulation Topics
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Sun May 27, 2007 5:29 pm

Rotorblade wrote:The vtb could use something like this, man that looks sweet.
http://www.virtual-jabog32-mirror2.de/_ ... _id589.jpg

The Red Arrows could use something like this.
http://www.virtual-jabog32-mirror2.de/_ ... _id590.jpg

And I am sure there could be a sharp looking VBA skin for the F-15.

All three teams could actually fly together or live in the same VFAT mod.
ROTOR....YOURE JOKING RIGHT? SERIOUSLY MAN.
Lawndart wrote: Viper, that's about the most brilliant thing I think I've seen you post! Wink Having two events 6 months apart would solve many problems and personally, I think there are enough US and European teams to split the event into VFAT-Europe and VFAT-America...
Is that not what I just said a couple posts before that....I give you props Tailhook for agreeing with me but was that not what I just said?
Last edited by STRIKER on Sun May 27, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Sun May 27, 2007 5:34 pm

I'll plan for at least 3 mods for VFAT this year. :lol:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun May 27, 2007 5:45 pm

RB, if it comes down to that, I'll be ok with that, but let's start doing some preliminary planning logistically now! ...and continue brainsotrming how this can be accomplished within LOMAC. :P

Rhino, I'm with you as far as having the numbers on the jets, but that would be the one (and only) compromise I'd make. Removing the numbers in order for each team member to fly the same model, but not use more than one "paintscheme slot", in order to have simplicity in one VFAT package that all teams can use. Other than that, I only fly a Red, White and Blue F-16... ;)
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Sun May 27, 2007 6:02 pm

Wow! I didn't see all the posts before my last one until now! I only offered some suggestions, you guys seem to have gone off the deep end with this and I apologize for having brought the ideas up. I intended no disrespect.

Can't we all just get along?!
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sun May 27, 2007 6:15 pm

Lawndart wrote:...and continue brainsotrming how this can be accomplished within LOMAC. :P
We will be working on something like this once our F-18 model is done. There is an idea that this all may be elementary, and we can get as many F-15s as we want with as many different models/paint schemes. So sit tight, there may be something we can do after all. :wink: I'll let Kato speak to that however, he is the "brains" behind the whole operation.
Rotorblade wrote:Wow! I didn't see all the posts before my last one until now! I only offered some suggestions, you guys seem to have gone off the deep end with this and I apologize for having brought the ideas up. I intended no disrespect.

You should not become so offended yourself. We were merely answering or commenting on your suggestions. No need to go off your own deep end because that is surely not what we were doing.

Now, back to mowing the lawn on this gorgeous afternoon/evening.....
Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun May 27, 2007 6:21 pm

RB, no hard feelings. It's all good input. Sometimes one persons suggestion clashes with that of which another person is most passionate about. Nothing more, nothing less! So, please don't feel offended!

Any other takers on the on-two punch idea for future VFATs? Having a European/American or simply two events per year to give more opportunity among the growing community!
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Sun May 27, 2007 6:22 pm

Rotorblade wrote:Wow! I didn't see all the posts before my last one until now! I only offered some suggestions, you guys seem to have gone off the deep end with this and I apologize for having brought the ideas up. I intended no disrespect.

I always thought we were getting along....hence why we are still all talking about the subject. Dont apologize for bringing up ideas...although some maybe alittle far fetching in my opinion but then again...thats just my opinion bud, nothing personal.
afneer

Post by afneer » Sun May 27, 2007 6:30 pm

STRIKER wrote:
Lawndart wrote: Viper, that's about the most brilliant thing I think I've seen you post! Wink Having two events 6 months apart would solve many problems and personally, I think there are enough US and European teams to split the event into VFAT-Europe and VFAT-America...
Is that not what I just said a couple posts before that....I give you props Tailhook for agreeing with me but was that not what I just said?
You can't claim any credit either Striker. The idea was mentioned way back in the Red Arrow thread. All you did was tweak it.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Sun May 27, 2007 6:35 pm

IMO it is best to make 2 or 3 VFAT mods and divide the F-15 flying teams over 2 or 3 days (friday/satuday/sunday). This should give the viewers enough time to switch mods.
The installing and uninstalling of the mods must be very well tested on several systems though, to ensure this it is all bug free (not like the 2006VFAT mod ;) )
Using 2 servers (West and East) is good to solve possible lag issues but it doesn't change anything about the VFAT mod(s).
Having VFAT twice a year might be a good idea but teams need the time to practise for their next show which obviously takes a long time. Next to that, VFAT will become a less special event if it is taking place more often and shows become less impressive.
Seen the growing amount of teams and their participation it would be best imo to divide VFAT over 2 weekends. Another option is to let each team/solo fly only one time.
Well, VFAT is still quite far away but it's good to start thinking about these issues and to start early with the organization of it (especially pointing at a live stream of the event).
One thing for sure, VFAT2007 will be an even greater event then last year and I really love to see the aerobatic community "forming up" with eachother 8)
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun May 27, 2007 6:36 pm

afneer wrote:
STRIKER wrote:
You can't claim any credit either Striker. The idea was mentioned way back in the Red Arrow thread. All you did was tweak it.
Just to quote, double quote and tripple quote my reply to the silliest thing: Alright children... WHO CARES!?!? No offense... :wink: :lol:

Since it's already a tad too late IMHO for two VFATs 2007, especially with the summer vacation season around the corner. When this fall is everyone thinking would be a good time for VFAT? '05 was in September if I recall correctly and '06 in November. I vote October this year! :D

EDIT: Good comments Frazer... Having each team perform once is a good idea for a long weekend and as a compromise create another VFAT for a "twice a year event"! Btw, it doesn't have to be called VFAT for name recognition sake... but something of similar meaning that would occur 6 months opposite of VFAT. I think the community is definitely strong enough to support that and have both events be special. Who knows how long we'll all have time to do this?

Alternatively, Frazer, a European vs. American VFAT would solve more than just the server/lag issue, since it would be 6 months apart as well. Keeping the mod issue at bay as well...
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Sun May 27, 2007 7:09 pm

I think VFAT this year will be a lot of fun, lots of positive talk here :)
Racer

Post by Racer » Sun May 27, 2007 7:40 pm

Hmmm a European vs. American VFAT.
LD, your competitve juices are flowing now.
I know the Indy 500 just finished up and everyone is pumped up.
Last edited by Racer on Sun May 27, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Sun May 27, 2007 8:04 pm

afneer wrote:
Seems to me the solution is in the ideas here. Multiple servers (maybe VTB could host more than just their own show), Multiple dates ( 2 weekends maybe), and dump the solo acts (maybe a seperate and renamed event). Rhino is absolutely correct when he points out this is a 'team' demo event.
If this is a team demo event I wanted to bounce this idea off of some other people. Would a solo display that has a pilot and a narrator be considered a team, and what do you guys think of the idea of a team with a Demo pilot who shows off the plane's capabilities while other teammate narrates and has a sound track to go to?

I was thinking it'd be a neat to virtually simulate like the east or west coast demo teams.

These solo events I think if kept to a short ammount of time could be used as filler between the longer big team demos.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sun May 27, 2007 8:12 pm

Rotorblade wrote:
If this is a team demo event I wanted to bounce this idea off of some other people. Would a solo display that has a pilot and a narrator be considered a team, and what do you guys think of the idea of a team with a Demo pilot who shows off the plane's capabilities while other teammate narrates and has a sound track to go to?

I was thinking it'd be a neat to virtually simulate like the east or west coast demo teams.

These solo events I think if kept to a short ammount of time could be used as filler between the longer big team demos.
I was thinking the same thing, but to me, I would only want to fly the F-15, and the F-15 demo over the years has been the same thing over and over. Now the STRIKE EAGLE demo is something I'm looking forward to seeing next weekend, as there will be pyro involved. However, JaBoG has said no blowing up stuff.

Speaking of F-15s, also working on a secondary act featuring 2-4 aircraft, one of which being the F-15, which you will see at VFAT this year.

So to answer your question, I think you need to be 2 or more FLYING participants to qualify as a "team".
Phantoms Phorever!
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Sun May 27, 2007 8:20 pm

Alright, how bought a narrator and 2 demo pilots showing off the same plane each taking turns and also doing passes together. What do you think of that?

I saw two Raptors last year at an air show taking turns in front of the crowd and there was narration by a team member. Althought there aren't raptors yet in Lock On so maybe it could be two Tornados.