VFAT 2007

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Tomcatboy48237

Post by Tomcatboy48237 » Sun May 27, 2007 8:37 pm

Rhino wrote:Speaking of F-15s, also working on a secondary act featuring 2-4 aircraft, one of which being the F-15, which you will see at VFAT this year.
Does it have anything to do with the screenshots you sent me back when we were talking about the MSFS airshow? :wink:

Ryan
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Sun May 27, 2007 8:44 pm

afneer wrote:
STRIKER wrote:
Lawndart wrote: Viper, that's about the most brilliant thing I think I've seen you post! Wink Having two events 6 months apart would solve many problems and personally, I think there are enough US and European teams to split the event into VFAT-Europe and VFAT-America...
Is that not what I just said a couple posts before that....I give you props Tailhook for agreeing with me but was that not what I just said?
You can't claim any credit either Striker. The idea was mentioned way back in the Red Arrow thread. All you did was tweak it.
LOL No worries, I was merely teasing Tailhook...back in 2005 i supported the notion from Jabog Bublik and Chrissi to possible go to 2 VFAT's when setting all that up and making the first movie although it never came to fruition due to all the teams having their mods satisfied....so if you want to go back to who said it first you can look at those two.....all you did was tweak it. :wink:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun May 27, 2007 9:05 pm

Ok, from the previous page... Racer, when I said European vs. American, I wasn't thinking along competitive lines at all, just seemed like a nice way to put it (at the time :oops: ). I still think having VFAT be the European event primarily, back at its roots, where it started and adding an American version 6 months apart is a smart move overall. Maybe not for 2007, but certainly starting 2008! It's not a competition, but an air show and it alleviates some of the issues with not having enough time for the number of participants and also making an event such as this one more frequent for the community. Furthermore it would mean the demo teams from each region would only fly once per year (see comment by Frazer on practicing for a live show and the prep).

The emphasis needs to be put on Formation Aerobatics however!!! I would advocate for teams that include preferably a Diamond, if not 3 aircraft, then 2 and so on... Narrator, DJ not included in the count (and optional). Any Solos of one airplane would fill the remaining time slots between other acts. Remember, it's also a lot easier to fill slots with Solo numbers than it is to fill them with teams, since the slot time needed is much smaller for one airplane and a no brainer to coordinate...

I'd also be a little vary of teams having their members fly in multiple groups or as single ship on top of their team demo. Just imagine what a day at VFAT would look like if the Virtual Thunderbird crew said: "Aside from our Demo, each pilot will also be flying his F-15/Mig-29 in a series of Solo acts or combos... ". We could easily kill half an afternoon with our roster alone, and while I'm not opposing this, I'm merely suggesting that each demo team considers if any of its members intend to fly as a different act other than their squad - that they consider themselves low priority for a time slot AND only to the extent possible if so!

What a lot of teams do; however, is build a Solo program into their main act as a team and I think that's a great way to put on a good show. Having the formation clear the area temporarily, while one of the pilots perform single ship maneuvers, and later rejoins the formation to press with the show. What I'm talking about above, are entirely separate acts involving the same pilots twice or more at different times during the show day (possibly flying various aircraft and colors etc)...
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sun May 27, 2007 9:23 pm

Tomcatboy48237 wrote:
Rhino wrote:Speaking of F-15s, also working on a secondary act featuring 2-4 aircraft, one of which being the F-15, which you will see at VFAT this year.
Does it have anything to do with the screenshots you sent me back when we were talking about the MSFS airshow? :wink:

Ryan
Yes.....More on this later...We are trying to involve some of our non-demo flying members in this, including myself for some wing time! Should take 10-15 minutes tops.

BTW we plan on having full narration and music for the Blues show AND the "special surprise" at VFAT.

EDIT: Could a VTB Mod contact one of the JABOG guys and let them know that this thread is here?
Phantoms Phorever!
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Sun May 27, 2007 9:51 pm

STRIKER wrote:I was merely teasing Tailhook
yeah, thx
Last edited by Tailhook on Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun May 27, 2007 9:52 pm

Rhino wrote:Could a VTB Mod contact one of the JABOG guys and let them know that this thread is here?
Already taken care of! Hopefully, the JaBoG guys will chime in as well... 8)
Rhino wrote:BTW we plan on having full narration and music for the Blues show AND the "special surprise" at VFAT.
I see, upping the ante... :lol: Although we haven't discussed VFAT in particular (assuming it's later this fall) too much yet within the VTB, I'm sure we aim to bring our own "Thunderama" (music loops and narration) in addition to much of the same show most of you saw last year... only, except one year better of course! :wink:

EDIT: Scratch what I said earlier about having VFAT in October. I vote second half of November instead! 17-18th sound good :!: :?:
JaBoG32_Chrissi

Post by JaBoG32_Chrissi » Mon May 28, 2007 9:46 am

Hey,

Thanks for the info about this thread, LD :)

Very nice to see that there are already some thoughts about VFAT07. Originally, we intended to start the big organizational part somewhen at the beginning of August (Preliminary Registration Thread). Meanwhile we'll try to get the streaming thing to work.
As we got to know it's obviously really complicated to have a smooth running streaming server. The biggest challenge will be to find a sponsor/provider which offers high-bandwidth streaming servers with low pings and connections to all important networks in Europe and North America. If anyone has some tipps or knows someone who has already some skills in videostreaming, please let me know :)

Concerning the mod issue:
I didn't thought about the mod conflict yet. As you already mentioned we'll probably have to use two ore even more mods... but we'll see when we have the complete list of participants. As mentioned above the preliminary registration thread will start in august.

Really looking forward to this year's VFAT :D I hope the streaming server works this year ;)
Kind Regards,
JaBoG32_Chrissi
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon May 28, 2007 10:45 am

Lawndart wrote:Scratch what I said earlier about having VFAT in October. I vote second half of November instead! 17-18th sound good :!: :?:
Yea that sounds good. We are going to Pensacola the week before, and I assume you guys are going to Nellis?
Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon May 28, 2007 11:59 am

Rhino wrote:Yea that sounds good. We are going to Pensacola the week before, and I assume you guys are going to Nellis?
It dawned on me that I'll be @ Moody, the Cape and Nellis 3/4 weeks between mid October-November and then there's Thanksgiving at the end of November too! Hence, the 17-18th (just like last year), for us, is really the only option.

Chrissi, keep us posted on any updates from your end! There ought to be a registration deadline for VFAT considering the mod(s) this year. Open registration August 1-31st... thereby having the lineup set early to allow enough time to work on mod(s) and testing them (as Frazer said)!

I hope there's a way to get streaming video to work. It's far a far better sollution, I just hope whomever the camera man is, that he isn't as incompetent as some of the ones we've seen recent weeks shooting real air shows in the states for streaming video. Pointing the camera in the wrong direction, missing half the maneuvers and more... Grrrrr! :evil:
afneer

Post by afneer » Mon May 28, 2007 2:27 pm

STRIKER wrote:
afneer wrote:
You can't claim any credit either Striker. The idea was mentioned way back in the Red Arrow thread. All you did was tweak it.
LOL No worries, I was merely teasing Tailhook...back in 2005 i supported the notion from Jabog Bublik and Chrissi to possible go to 2 VFAT's when setting all that up and making the first movie although it never came to fruition due to all the teams having their mods satisfied....so if you want to go back to who said it first you can look at those two.....all you did was tweak it. :wink:
I wasn't suggesting my post was the one with the original idea. The multiple event idea was first mentioned by Sabertooth on the VRA thread. I just posted a summary of good suggestions up to that point. I openly admit to tweaking it ;)
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon May 28, 2007 2:37 pm

afneer wrote:
STRIKER wrote:
afneer wrote:
I wasn't suggesting my post was the one with the original idea. The multiple event idea was first mentioned by Sabertooth on the VRA thread. I just posted a summary of good suggestions up to that point. I openly admit to tweaking it ;)
To quote Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit: "It's all about the he said, she said, bull s*#t, I think you better quit, lettin' s*#t slip".

The multiple event idea was first discussed in much greater detail back in 2005 by God knows who coined it first! So let the "who came up with it first", go already... :lol: :wink:
afneer

Post by afneer » Mon May 28, 2007 3:38 pm

LD> You seem to consistently target my posts and quotes for some reason even though I never said anywhere that I came up with the idea or any idea.

In all fairness it was your teammate that started with the "I said it first" post complete with multiple quotes. He doesn't seem to have a problem with the little fun I poked at him, so what gives?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon May 28, 2007 4:09 pm

Who said I had a problem with it??? I'm poking fun at all of you... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: WINK!

I just think it's beyond silly to have more conversation about who, where or how it was first mentioned in the middle of an otherwise valid discussion! ...but I'm not targetting anyone in particular or upset... I just think it is stoooopid! :wink:
afneer

Post by afneer » Mon May 28, 2007 4:28 pm

Lawndart wrote: I'm poking fun at all of you... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: WINK!
Fair enough...I'll have to take your word for it. It just seemed that your little reprimands always came after my posts.
Lawndart wrote: ... I just think it is stoooopid! :wink:
I agree that it's a bit silly...that's why I couldn't resist jumping on it in the first place. :D

Handshakes all around and let's move on.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Mon May 28, 2007 7:25 pm

Yea lets keep this threat on track ;)

About the idea of having an American and an European VFAT, I would regret it! The beautiful thing of VFAT is that it is a world wide event and I would prefer to keep it that way. To have a VFAT twice a year (mainly referring to LD's point, that we can't be sure of how long we can do this) would be a better option IMO. But we can evaluate this better after this years event.

About the amount of participants & mods, I think it will all be ok. At the end, how long does it take to install a mod? And next to that, if we got the live stream working well, there is no use of allowing non-participants on the server which means that only a small group of people need to install these mods. Another plus is that participants and server operators don't have to play the "kick and click" game any longer. :wink: