Joysticks

Aviation & Simulation Topics
DiDa

Joysticks

Post by DiDa » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:32 am

Hey guys...

Just wondering, I have the saitek x52, but is it good enough to fly "like you" or do I have to buy the thrustmaster?
I don't know if i wanna buy a new joystick now...

thx :D
catch me if you can...
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:55 pm

A Thrustmaster is by no means a requirement but definately will give you that much more of an edge. :D If you're not looking to spend the $200 for a TM Cougar then I'd recommend the $30 MS Precision Pro. I've never personally used a Saitek for form flying but everything I've heard tells me you'd be better off with the MS Precision Pro stick.

Welcome to the forums. :)
scking

Post by scking » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:13 pm

The X52 is a nice stick.. I have it as well.. The biggest downside is that the spring is very loose. Better to get it tightened up by putting a piece of heavy cardboard in the spring close to the stick not at the bottom.

But just so you know, the stick doesn't make the pilot. To become the pilot it takes alot of practice and patience.
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:20 pm

scking wrote: But just so you know, the stick doesn't make the pilot. To become the pilot it takes alot of practice and patience.
I believe everyone on this team not only supports that notion but has proven it and continues to prove it relentlessly. The thousands of hours that we have flown to get where we are today couldnt have been done without a top notch stick as well. Remember, their are limitations on boths sides of the spectrum.
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:06 pm

I agree with both points about having a top notch stick and that the stick doesn't make the pilot.

I would like to add that having a top notch stick can enable you to get better faster at precision flying.

Some of the best virtual formation pilots I know use the X52 or the Cougar. Both sticks usually need to be modified a little bit in order to make them work well for precision flying. The X52 costs hardly anything to modify. The cost to modify a Cougar with popular mods can be very expensive $400+.

$100 Stick vs $700(250+450) Stick, Fine Virtual pilots use both

Some people use the very inexpensive Saitek ST290 or Cyborg 3D and then they modify it with some of the cheap X52 ideas and that works well.

For the record I have an X52 and the Cougar with the FSSB mod. I like the FSSB modified Cougar the best except for the cost.

What do the Virtual Thunderbirds use? Cougars or are they modified?

There is a lot of great information about the Cougar and its many mods in the Virtual Thunderbirds Links area of their website.

I hope this has been helpful.
Last edited by Rotorblade on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:20 pm

Rotorblade wrote:What do the Virtual Thunderbirds use? Cougars or are they modified?
Well, obviously we use Cougars since we get 'em for free, but what everyone does with them afterwards is entirely up to each pilot.

Needless to say, most of us (just like the designers of the original Kitties) go on to modify these mammoths and create a better product without a cost vs. design limitation imposed when selling a retail product in the stores. A modded stick is pricey, but with a "base model" (stock Cougar) that's within range of what most avid flight sim enthusiasts can afford and the fact that you're buying an endless potential to mod a true to life replica at your own accord (the "add-on" or "mod" phase), the Cougar is truly second to none!

As mentioned, it is not for everyone, but placed in skilled and disciplined hands such as many of the pilots in the aerobatics community, it is extremely hard to find a better stick. You have to be willing to go the extra mile and buy the Ferrari parts however, otherwise you'll "just" have a great stick with lots of (untapped) potential... :wink:
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:29 pm

A modified cougar, if you have the money and the want, is in the words of a friend the "Ferrari" of sticks.
DiDa

Post by DiDa » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:44 am

Thx guys. This helped me alot. Especially the part: "But just so you know, the stick doesn't make the pilot. To become the pilot it takes alot of practice and patience", I can't agree more. :)
catch me if you can...
Ells

Post by Ells » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:43 am

If you're looking for a cheaper stick, I've found the Logitech Freedom 2.4 wireless one excellent value for money. And it fly's pretty well in LOMAC too. Also it's very nice to hold, even after 10 hours of flying :D

UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Freedo ... B00006YX6G

US
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Freedom- ... lectronics