"If I could Turn Back Time".. VT Pilots?

Aviation & Simulation Topics
JZimms100

"If I could Turn Back Time".. VT Pilots?

Post by JZimms100 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:51 am

Greetings All!

A quick question for the VT (Virtual Thunderbird) pilots (past and present; shucks, future VT pilots can answer if they like!):

If you could do it over again, knowing what you know now, would you have pursued a career as a pilot in the USAF? So one day you may have had a shot at being part of the USAF Thunderbird team? Do you think that your expereinces with the VT team (or, for those who are not yet on the VT team, your experiences with flight simulators in general) would have been a help in the pursuit of this dream?

I do realize we have members here who are part of the uniformed Service(s). Thank you for your service!

Good Luck! Once again, many congraulations on the success of this forum!
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:42 pm

Already in a flying career in the USAF! but thanks!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:47 pm

No regrets here! Flightsimming is how I learned to fly starting before I was even in my teens and it has made me a much better pilot in the real world as well. I would actually accredit a lot of flightsim time to the success of flying for a living and the road to get to where I'm at today.

There's really only one way to answer the pursuing a military career question: If you're thinking about it now and you're young, don't wait to start pursuing it! Other than that, flight simming in general and a lot of what we do here translates directly into better real world skills (as long as you can keep them apart and know what's fictional and what's not ;)). I don't regret not having been in a position where I could have had a (remote) chance of being an actual Thunderbird, I'm really getting the best of both worlds as it is and on my own terms. The question whether anyone of us would want to fly like them is rather moot; of course, why else would we be flying like them in a simulator!

I couldn't be happier with being able to do what we do. I literally get the best of both worlds, online as Thunderbirds and in the real world flying jets as well. :D
Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:23 pm

If you could do it over again, knowing what you know now, would you have pursued a career as a pilot in the USAF?
I guess being Canadian the more correct question would be directed towards pursuing a career in the Canadian Airforce for myself. The answer for me is partly yes and no. I am extremely lucky to be a Professional Firefighter. I work with some of the best guys possible, every day is different(and exciting), we get to help people on a daily basis, and I get to drive a Million dollar vehicle. I could go on forever as to why I love my occupation and for those reasons I have no regrets and would have a very tough time matching what I do now with any other career choice.

But, I have always loved aviation since I was about 3 years old and therefore am sure I would have enjoyed a career in the Canadian Airforce. More importantly I would like to learn to fly for real some day but since I have a young family now and can't possibly afford to pay for flight time I do so online with the Virtual Thunderbirds. One day perhaps I'll take up lessons when the time is right and hey maybe all of the time I have put in on simulators will help with the learning curve. Thanks for asking Zimm. :)
BonJobie

Post by BonJobie » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:05 pm

Although not on the Thunderbirds I did have the privilege of serving my country as an officer and pilot in the US Air Force for 7 years. It was great and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. My time there gave me the opportunity to be where I am today, both professionally and virtually.

Bon