Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:25 am

Or something like this if someone was at say Mach 0.95

Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:31 pm

SuperBugz wrote:Or something like this if someone was at say Mach 0.95
With the right conditions (humidity, temperature etc) conducive for contrails and vapor rings.
streakeagle

Post by streakeagle » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:26 pm

Have any of the XSI developers ever played Jane's USAF with the Thunderbirds addon? It was far from perfect, but better than anything else I have ever played for learning aerobatics routines with both verbal coaching and red-lined hoops acting as flight path targets.

Along the same lines, Xtreme Air Racing had many user selectable options to help teach air racing around pylons including voice coaching, beams marking turn pylons, and hoops marking optimum flight paths.

These sims should be studied to learn what should be done/not done in a non-combat flight sim.
A64(3800 Venice) VNF4U(2 Gb RAM) X800XL(256MB) WinXP Pro(SP2/DX 9.0c)
P3T(1.2 GHz) TUV4X(1 Gb RAM) 9800 Pro(128Mb) WinXP Pro(SP2/DX 9.0c) Santa Cruz
Pacman

Re: My ideas

Post by Pacman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:05 am

zaGURUinzaSKY wrote:integrated voice comms
Built-in "teamspeak or equivalent to sync up game lag and VOIP lag! Definitely!

Comms will be done with the aircraft's systems. Integrated voicecomms.
-Tower view with autozoom (as many RC flight Sims with the aircraft positioned on top side of monitor) with video recorder (wanna see how the people see my flight in the most realistic way)
Auto-zoom sounds like a nice feature! Being able to set a certain distance and speed that the external cam will start zooming at and then have it be pulg-and-play, so you can follow the padlocked external view without having to "guess" when to zoom or how fast it will happen. Good point!

Dunno if we'll go into that amount of detail, but noted.
-Parametric curve of throttle axis (I can decide if from 30% to 80% of my throttle controls just 70% to 90% of RPM), very usefull becouse many people have small built in throttle control in the joystick, easier to manage power in formation.
Good idea for the people who don't have a HOTAS setup. Being able to manipulate the range of the throttle arm and how much it represents in rpm (hence, more precise throttle control, especially for non HOTAS users).
- ATC for the formation as a single flight, ability to select the correct answer to the atc with a up donw button (not just numbers as in FS2004, I'd like to do it on my hotas even if I have 15 possible answers)
I have always disliked the menu systems. If voice recognition can be implemented, having a transparent "commands window" fade-in and a voice response used to select would be much nicer than mapping keys.

Voice recognition will definetly be an option. There will be a secondary system too though.
-Voice comms beeper, a tool that do a loud Beep when you release the voice button to synchronize the action called, the host should hear the beep in the same moment of clients (considering the avarage ping) to make sure he starts when the wingmen start. Red Arrows use the beep. The delay beep for leader is just an adaptation to simulated flight.
How about built-in VOIP synced to the average ping of the flight. No beep would be required. If implemented, the beep would have to be an option, not be nature...

Good stuff Guru!
Dirk "Pacman" Verbist
XSI Executive - VP (Q&A/ FM)
Pacman

Post by Pacman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:06 am

red8jon wrote:I hope this is the right place to put it:

- I also support the idea of having a Red Arrow Hawk & Skin

- The idea of being able to fly, save the replay and then fly again with that replay. (if you see what I mean) because then that way you can practice offline without having to find a buddy to fly at the same time. You could then perform loops and rolls as the leader - save it - and then fly again but as the wingman so you can practice flying formation aerobatics.

Just an idea, if you dont understand I can try to explain it again...
All explained above.

Dirk
Dirk "Pacman" Verbist
Pacman

Post by Pacman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:08 am

lqcorsa wrote:Great idea red8. Yes and maybe with Fighter Ops Aerobatics module, on the F/A-18 Hornet Blue Angel, it can be modded accordingly, for example take out the cannon and put in smoke tank, and take off pylon's and what not.
Explained in the above posts.

Dirk
Dirk "Pacman" Verbist
Pacman

Re: STUNT

Post by Pacman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:11 am

zaGURUinzaSKY wrote:I also would love some stunt objects like pylons, rings and stuff like that to create a stunt mission.... flying low altitude between pylons, inside rings, throu the fire, under bridges, landing on moving platform over trains. It would be very fun even if not very realistic and it would a a good tool to improve the piloting skills. Remember the rings race in FLight Unlimited 2 ?!! that was so cool.

When I was playing Forgotten battles some years ago, I did several mission online for stunts, with the campfire I did runway over impossible surfaces such as to pof mountains and we (the online comunity) did a lot of landing race, there was also a 20 minute pylon race (I spent few days to make it..) and I remember that people really appreciate it..

This is my idea of "out of the box", ok we have a cool combat sim but why not? let's add some map editor to create stunt mission, a nice stunt race at low altitude.

When I did it in hyperlobby the room was always full, and gunz was an option inside the race!
Shouldn't be that hard to let people place objects.
We mainly should need to create them.
An option, but not a priority.

One priority will be certain "markers" for the aerobatics teams.

Best,

Dirk
Dirk "Pacman" Verbist
Pacman

Post by Pacman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:20 am

lqcorsa wrote:Yep I think it's great that you guys are taking ideas from us, it re-assures me that this is going to be one of the coolest sims around. A few more that I stormed up today.

Amazing sound, including AI and multiplayer sound. The kind that you can just feel the rumble without having to really be there.

AI aircraft that fly in formations such as delta, and diamond ect. and have planned turns, so you can practice full airshows, so you don't have to find 5 other multiplayers.

AI boss has callouts (a little pppuuulllll, add a little power...)

Great sight distance, (so you can see your oposing solo) coming on the other side of the show center point, with easy snap too views that allow you to automatically view delta/solos in posistion relative to your cockpit.

More coming soon.
As mentioned in the posts above our focus will not be the single player aspect. But the support for the virtual aerobatics squadrons in the MP environment.

Who knows if we may later put effort in the single player aspect, but expect that to be much later then sooner.
Noted anyway.

Maybe we can do something about the sighting distance...IMO a topic for discussion.

Dirk
Dirk "Pacman" Verbist
Pacman

Post by Pacman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:24 am

SuperBugz wrote:While we are on the subject of sound, what about support for 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound? I cant think of anything better than flying in a delta or something and hearing individual jets powering up or down next to me. Just an idea!
Where we can we'll go for the highest technology available.

On your example...hehe an F-16 pilot doesn't "hear" his mates power up ;)
Anyway that has also been discussed in the posts above.

Dirk
Dirk "Pacman" Verbist
Pacman

Post by Pacman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:26 am

Jonnyb wrote:I allso think it would be a good idea to have the vapour coming of the top of the wings. Not like lock on where there is just those lines of te wingtips.

Example
Allready in the design plans for FighterOps.
We didn't get that far yet so I don't have any details to share.
But my first guess is that it'll be an FPS hog.

Dirk
Dirk "Pacman" Verbist
Pacman

Post by Pacman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:28 am

streakeagle wrote:Have any of the XSI developers ever played Jane's USAF with the Thunderbirds addon? It was far from perfect, but better than anything else I have ever played for learning aerobatics routines with both verbal coaching and red-lined hoops acting as flight path targets.

Along the same lines, Xtreme Air Racing had many user selectable options to help teach air racing around pylons including voice coaching, beams marking turn pylons, and hoops marking optimum flight paths.

These sims should be studied to learn what should be done/not done in a non-combat flight sim.
Answered in a post above.

Best regards,

Dirk
Dirk "Pacman" Verbist
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:06 am

Two more... (to bump the thread)
  • Open ended user-interface (lua, cfg files) or SDK's allowing to modify existing views and program new mathematical sollutions for camera behavior and positioning in various views. Even a GUI (graphic user interface) for view setup and camera positioning and behavior.
  • Realistic trim behavior and precise enough to allowing for "heavy nose down trim" and re-trim to absolute neutral with precision. Both, important aspects of form flying.
Rotorblade

CT-114

Post by Rotorblade » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:13 am

Can you add some sort of support for making our own 3D models into the game or could you add a CT-114 Tutor to this module along with some other specific training aircraft that are used by other real teams around the world?

I know its silly to ask for one airplane to be added but if this is an aerobatics/formation flying module I hope that there is some emphasis on adding in planes that real world teams use. This would help gain fan base all around the world.
Pacman

Post by Pacman » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:15 am

Lawndart wrote:Two more... (to bump the thread)
  • Open ended user-interface (lua, cfg files) or SDK's allowing to modify existing views and program new mathematical sollutions for camera behavior and positioning in various views. Even a GUI (graphic user interface) for view setup and camera positioning and behavior.

Noted
  • Realistic trim behavior and precise enough to allowing for "heavy nose down trim" and re-trim to absolute neutral with precision. Both, important aspects of form flying.
All part of the FM.
Dirk "Pacman" Verbist
Pacman

Re: CT-114

Post by Pacman » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:18 am

Rotorblade wrote:Can you add some sort of support for making our own 3D models into the game or could you add a CT-114 Tutor to this module along with some other specific training aircraft that are used by other real teams around the world?

We allready had discussions regarding modding and SDK's etc...
Once there we can make an official statement on this we will share this through our website.

I know its silly to ask for one airplane to be added but if this is an aerobatics/formation flying module I hope that there is some emphasis on adding in planes that real world teams use. This would help gain fan base all around the world.

You can read my reply Jonnyb regarding the same topic here:
viewtopic.php?t=1204&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
If somebody wants to create that aircraft UP TO OUR STANDARDS then it will also depend on the modding policy we will have

Dirk "Pacman" Verbist