DUATS

Aviation & Simulation Topics
scooter

DUATS

Post by scooter » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:56 am

I just registered with DUATS...do any of you pilots use this service often or just on occasion? Do you find it useful?

Thanks,
Scooter
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:09 am

Used it all the time while instructing and to file IFR flightplans. Especially the performance you can enter for your aircraft and have DUATS calculate your time, speed and distance as well as fuel consumption is a nice feature of DUATS flightplans. That was many years ago and I haven't looked at it for a long time. Nice thing about having dispatchers and flying part 121! :wink:

I typically use this site for almost all my wx needs: http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/

LD
=RvE=eKim

Post by =RvE=eKim » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:58 am

I use DUATS as well. I also use the AOPA Real-Time Flight planner. I used that for the first time the other day and filed my VFR flight plan. That was pretty neat.

Lawndart, you are/were a CFI(I)? Do you still do it?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:41 pm

=RvE=eKim wrote:Lawndart, you are/were a CFI(I)? Do you still do it?
CFI, CFII, MEI, AGI, IGI... the whole shablang. I haven't worked as an IP for 4 years. Just kept my licenses current, which reminds me... I need to renew again real soon. In theory I'm still proficient to teach and fly in a small trainer, but practically I'd probably kill myself if I flew a plane with a ref speed slower than 100 knots and a windmill up front instead of blowers in the back. To answer your questions: Yes, I'm an instructor, but no, I'm not still doing it.

Btw, did you know that the purpose of the propeller is to keep the pilot cool :!: ...Have the engine stop and watch him sweat! :wink: :lol:

LD
=RvE=eKim

Post by =RvE=eKim » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:47 pm

Hey that's funny. When I did my first x-country, my propeller was still running but I was still sweating. 8) I have my long x-country tomorrow and I'm already sweating :lol: .
Trapper

Post by Trapper » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:13 pm

As a private pilot, I use DUATS for all flight planning, as well as other sites like ADDS,but check out this site,very cool, lots of functions so spend some time with it.Cheers
http://www.rvproject.com/wx/
=RvE=eKim

Post by =RvE=eKim » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:18 pm

wow thanks for the link. This is a very nice tool to have.