Unbelievable...

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Rotorblade

Unbelievable...

Post by Rotorblade » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:00 pm

Has anyone else heard of this story?
A simulated dogfight training took place between two F-15D's and four A-4N Skyhawks over the skies of the Negev,Israel... "At some point I collided with one of the Skyhawks, at first I didn't realize it. I felt a big strike, and I thought we passed through the jet stream of one of the other aircraft. Before I could react, I saw the big fireball created by the explosion of the Skyhawk. The radio started to deliver calls saying that the Skyhawk pilot has ejected, and I understood that the fireball was the Skyhawk that exploded, and the pilot was ejected automatically. There was a tremendous fuel stream going out of my wing, and I understood it was badly damaged. The aircraft flew without control in a strange spiral. I reconnected the electric control to the control surfaces, and slowly gained control of the aircraft until I was straight and level again. It was clear to me that I had to eject. When I gained control I said: "Hey, wait, don't eject yet!" No warning light was on and the navigation computer worked as usual; (I just needed a warning light in my panel to indicate that I missed a wing...)," My instructor pilot ordered me to eject. The wing is a fuel tank, and the fuel indicator showed 0.000 so I assumed that the jet stream sucked all the fuel out of the other tanks . However, I remembered that the valves operate only in one direction, so that I might have enough fuel to get to the nearest airfield and land. I worked like a machine, I wasn't scared and didn't worry. All I knew was as long as the sucker flies, I'm gonna stay inside. I started to decrease the airspeed, but at that point one wing was not enough So I went into a spin down and to the right. A second before I decided to eject, I pushed the throttle and lit the afterburner. I gained speed and thus got control of the aircraft again. Next thing I did was lowerthe arresting hook. A few seconds later I touched the runway at 260 knots, about twice the recommended speed, and called the tower to erect the emergency recovery net. The hook was torn away from the fuselage because of the high speed, but I managed to stop 10 meters before the net. I turned back to shake the hand of my instructor, who had urged me to eject, and then I saw it for the first time - no wing!"
This is definitely a testament to modern combat aircraft design. I figure the fuselage acting as an airfoil, a highthrust to weight ratio and two engines (differential thrust) helped in this impressive feat.
Jonnyb

Post by Jonnyb » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:59 pm

Must be a pretty awesome pilot man.
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:05 pm

Thats one story that keeps on surfacing in every aviation forum but its still amazing!
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:58 am

I remember reading about this a couple of years ago. A great pilot! I don't know about you guys but I often take up at Su 25 or 25T and purposly break off my flaps, or bend my gear or pop my tires and all sorts of stuff and then try and land it on a road, but I did over stress my 25T once and the wing ripped off. Trust me you can't do so much as stay alive for 2 seconds with a ripped off wing in lomac! MAJOR MAAAAJOR props to this pilot!
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:42 pm

lqcorsa wrote:I remember reading about this a couple of years ago. A great pilot! I don't know about you guys but I often take up at Su 25 or 25T and purposly break off my flaps, or bend my gear or pop my tires and all sorts of stuff and then try and land it on a road, but I did over stress my 25T once and the wing ripped off. Trust me you can't do so much as stay alive for 2 seconds with a ripped off wing in lomac! MAJOR MAAAAJOR props to this pilot!
This happened shortly after I bought lomac. I was RTB in an A10 when outa nowhere a sam launched on me and blew most of my wing off. I didnt even notice the wing was gone untill after i landed because I noticed that if I increased my airspeed I can get the aircraft barely stable attitude. After I landed is when I noticed a piece or two of my wing was gone...and here are the pics.

Flying the Friendly,
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:22 pm

STRIKER wrote:After I landed is when I noticed a piece or two of my wing was gone

Flying the Friendly,
:lol: :lol: :lol:
[-]SilverOne[-] [- Best Regards
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:20 pm

that is one heck of a pilot.....that would take a lot of skill
FALCON56

Post by FALCON56 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:56 pm

talk about a wing and a prayer...
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:04 pm

[-]SilverOne[-] [- Best Regards
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Awesome stuff Silverone!
rampage

Post by rampage » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:07 am

Here is a video about the incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg3sKtPTWPQ
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:22 am

If you thought that was unbelieveable-

This apparently happened at Top Gun a couple of years back. Two agressor F-18s got together.

Here is one of them on final-

Here it is on the ground-

Here is the other side of the "story"-

Last edited by Rhino on Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:18 pm

I love the F/A-18 in the blue aggressor. Too bad he's all torn up :(
FALCON56

Post by FALCON56 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:59 pm

yeah it is unbeliveable on how planes and people can return with all that damage.. That shows you the skill of these pilots...110% dedication baby!!!!
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:13 am

The guy in the blue jet is lucky he didnt have a fire. If you look at the picture of him on final, you can see the gasoline coming out the wing. Like this thread said, unbelieveable! Geez, funny how American made products can be extremely beat up yet still fly/drive/work.

Happy Flying!
SuperBugz