Hornet vs. Super Hornet

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:38 pm

Creature,

Nice to hear the stories. Lt. Saccamondo (feat. in the 2004 Blue Angel DVD documentary) left the Blues after last season when he finished his tour, but that's really cool. Small world after all...

Holler @ Burner since he runs the recruiting scene regarding a tryout. Also, were you deploying in October?

Rotorblade,

That is the Pro 97 from RadioShack. Same as I used to record the Snowbird comms for you guys back in April.

LD
scapilot

Post by scapilot » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:47 am

I have already contacted Burner and an audition is set in stone for Saturday at 1400EST. I hope all goes well, and will see you guys around.

Creature
Blackhawk10

Post by Blackhawk10 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:59 am

Damn you and your Pro-97, I'm using the Pro-82. Still gets the job done wonderfully though! 8)
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:16 am

Yes its the pro-97. I love it! You can pick up anything from kids playing with walky talkies to Military test ops!!! Pretty fun.

I envy anybody flying a hornet or super hornet, OR ANY military planes! When I turn 16 next year I'm getting in pilot school! 8) 8) GOSH that must be fun going like 600 mph over the open sea!! I noticed a cockpit difference as well am I right? Super Hornet looks much more advanced. Also, notice the stick similarity between that and the F-15!:

They use that keypad in the center a lot on the movie behind enemy lines. What's that for?
scooter

Post by scooter » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:17 am

lqcorsa wrote:When I turn 16 next year I'm getting in pilot school!

How many more months before 16? You could go ahead and start working on your private. That way when you turn 16 you just need to get your Class III Med and checked out by your instructor to solo.

Scooter
Airshow fan

Post by Airshow fan » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:44 am

Cool I hope to do that in 3 years when I am 16. Have fun!
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:41 pm

That first cockpit shot Lqcorsa was from an F/A/18A- really old. The C models are more advanced, but the E is still king of avionics.
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:02 am

I know it Burner! Hey if I'm not mistaken thats the same cockpit the Blues fly correct?
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:38 pm

lqcorsa wrote:I know it Burner! Hey if I'm not mistaken thats the same cockpit the Blues fly correct?
I know they flew the A model for longer than any other squad. I assume they still do- with the newer stronger C model engines I'd image. No reason to upgrade avionics that don't get used afterall.
Airshow fan

Post by Airshow fan » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:23 pm

Just trying to see the pain onthe aircraft, That might be a Blue.
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:57 pm

I was looking for a smoke gen! :P Isn't the smoke on the thottle? After watching Blue Angels a year in the life that's what they show, but on some cockpit's I've seen its next to the HUD.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:33 pm

lqcorsa wrote:I was looking for a smoke gen! :P Isn't the smoke on the thottle? After watching Blue Angels a year in the life that's what they show, but on some cockpit's I've seen its next to the HUD.
While I'm not entirely certain about the Blues and their F/A-18's, the smoke switch is almost certainly located on the throttle. There would be absolutely no time to take ones hands off the HOTAS in close quarters and needs to be done solely by feel. The Thunderbirds use the "dogfight" switch on the throttle handle for smoke on/off.

LD
scapilot

Post by scapilot » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:15 pm

The "touch pad" you speak of in the Super Hornet is actually called the scratch pad. That is where they can control a number of autopilot related features, and also dial in various ILS, ACLS, NAV, and TACAN freqs. It can also be used to input various other functions, but for the most part, it's just a simple touch screen that allows you to type in your current info, and then touch a screen that would like to input it into so that it is stored (similar to an FMC) Hope that clears up any confusion on that.

Creature
FALCON56

Post by FALCON56 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:59 pm

I guess its time to replace the aging F-14, but that is and weill always be a damn good jet..ou really cant replace the F-14 with the Super ornet, but the navy is going to..much luck to the new jets..im sure eventually they will grow on me but for now...its a big we will see...
scapilot

Post by scapilot » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:25 am

....oh..HUH...what????? Oh, drool???? Yeah, sorry, I must've fell asleep. Hey that's great and all that you got all this information, I bet you feel like champ. I wasn't trying to go all "Artimus" on em' or anything like that, just wanted to fill the guys in with you know, THE BASICS. But hey, good stuff anyhow. I'm sure some of the pilots weren't even aware of some of the stuff you got.

P.S. I think Boeing would probably like their blueprints and schematics back when you get a chance, chatter has it they've been surfing the site looking for you.

Creature