Flaming Cliffs 2.0

Aviation & Simulation Topics
SilentEagle
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by SilentEagle » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Ok, I took another look. Your picture looks fine at second glance, but mine is still missing advanced haze.

Also, I'm thinking the trim problem is due to force feedback like it was in FC1, but I'm not sure.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:22 pm

Force Feedback was apparently updated, IIRC.

Not sure what I did to have different haze from you, the graphics settings in the GUI are really limited like I said, hopefully there are some tools that help fix the new TFCE graphics.cfg. :D

Overall I'm really pleased with the changes.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:32 pm

Does FC2 feel like as big of an update and "must have" as FC1 was (when it first came out), or is this more of a mixed bag?
Last edited by Lawndart on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Yes, to me. Again I have yet to fly any real demonstration formation flying, but from what I've experienced, it's certainly worth the time and money. For me, it's mostly about the "modernization" of the sim, and leaving it ready to accept more powerful hardware in the future. Of course, all the other things I mentioned before are awesome!
SilentEagle

Post by SilentEagle » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:23 am

Buy this now. Formation was cake even without tension on my stick (had to disable force feedback :( :( ). Blaze, Burner, and I just did some flying in the F-15 and it was like butter. Every movement is damped out now and you can screw up and still end up in formation. Amazingly smooth connection too.
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:49 am

Well that's great to hear - I like the sound of added dampening, does it feel less twitchy in the pitch axis?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:53 am

Did they finally get rid of the net induced elevator flutter too?

The F-15, to me, has always seemed easier to fly in formation than any mod I've had overlaying it. Not sure if it's because its sheer size (they don't call it the "flying tennis court" for nothing), but I'd be very curious to see a direct comparison and the results between FC1 vs. FC2 when using the same airframe/model and size/setups (incl. weight, fuel, curves etc., preferably also with the mod most often flown by the test pilot). Let us know whenever someone gets around to testing the netcode and flight characteristics against the previous version of Flaming Cliffs in greater detail.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:37 am

Just had a helluva time (in a good way) with SE, Burner, and Beaker flying around in formation. I can tell you that you definitely must get this sim, because the above 350kt/3G "bounce" is gone. It shows up now at about 425 knots. They've really fixed it and it's great.

I have a C2Q Q6600 which runs at 2.67, 8GB RAM, and a GTX 260 and I can run everything at high. I had a frame hit the first time I saw a city, but subsequent times looking at it the stutters go away and it's fine.
Phantoms Phorever!
Bo#4

Post by Bo#4 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:45 am

Rhino wrote:I have a C2Q Q6600 which runs at 2.67, 8GB RAM, and a GTX 260
Geez, I have the same set up Rhino...well I'm running dual GTX 260's Q6600 2.4 4GB RAM

@SE, hope I can get that nose down bug fixed... But I really thought from what I saw it looked really good... Terrain looked better to me. Clouds, there was no Nvidia bug... Well I have all weekend to figure out the nose down thing, looking forward to flying some formation.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:51 am

It WAS a helluva time. Pissing off combat-heads with burner takeoffs and low passes.

Pushing 425 KIAS in a flat turn without any bobbling...
Nice one guys. :D
SilentEagle

Post by SilentEagle » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:54 am

Yes, I had a blast. We raided 104th server and just created havoc with our beast of a formation. I led most of the time (honestly I think anyone can lead now) and it was super super smooth for everyone even when I screwed up parameters. We flew without padlock as it is not allowed in a combat server, and we had limited fuel and no external views. Overall, this is the best experience I've ever had in a flight sim.

The sound is pretty awesome. Can't wait till Frazer gets a mod out and when ED finishes the engine. I'm slowly knocking away the problems I had near the beginning and it is pretty solid now!
Bo#4

Post by Bo#4 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:13 am

SE, how'd you fix the nose down problem? :roll:
SilentEagle

Post by SilentEagle » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:20 am

From earlier in the night with Blaze, Burner, and I.

Backside of the loop:

Rolling:

Someone's out (check shadow):

Flyover:

Flat pass:

Smooth as butter:

Parade pass:
Sano

Post by Sano » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:04 am

That's a really nice formation out there.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:48 am

Guys, formation flying didn't became too easy now did it? It wouldn't be nice if everyone can fly formation now... :( :wink:

Don't have the sim yet (I prefer to have the CD), though I can't wait to try. From what I read here, the increased stability at higher speeds is the most valuable upgrade for us I think. Now we can all fly at realistic speeds, without having the crazy sensitive pitch control as in FC 1.

About the Haze problem, I think there will be hidden options (not visible in game options) like in Blackshark (don't ask why). Try to find something like options.lua in FC2. The Blackshark tweak guide may also be useful as I think much is the same in FC2.

Keep on posting your experiences. :D