More Airbus help

Aviation & Simulation Topics
lqcorsa

More Airbus help

Post by lqcorsa » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:45 pm

Does anybody know where I can get help with flying an Airbus, to be more specific an Airbus A330 or 340? I noticed Airbus doesn't have Lnav with the autopilot and the FMC isn't exactly like the Boeing's FMC. The thing can't maintain altitude on approach and the flight dynamics are weird to me, I also can't work the wierd autopilot with "Loc" being the Lnav. Thankyou for any help I might get.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:36 pm

I don't know about the add-on you're using for flightsim (assuming that's what you're doing) or how accurate of a representation it is, but if you want any expert help on the A330, our own Cobra pilots that ship in real life and if you ask nicely, I'm sure he can answer many questions, especially since he's flown (the love of his life... no pun intended), erm... the Boeing 76's before.

LD
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:02 pm

I love the 763 also :D

But I'm starting to really like the Airbus planes. Yeah I'm using the PSS Airbus A340. I got the Autopilot mastered, now I just need to figure out the navigation, and the reason I stall with calm winds approaching at 170 kts and flaps down :? .
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Cobra » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:04 pm

Icqorsa, you are correct when you say the FMC is different from the Boeing although they are made by the same company, Honeywell. Apparently Boeing has some copyright features in its FMC, hence the differences.

As far as NAV goes, the aircraft has two main modes, Managed or Selected. In Managed mode it flies the track loaded into the FMC. Selected mode is basically heading select. Because it is a French aeroplane we call the autoflight system "Fifi".

When you push the HDG selector you are in effect giving the aircraft to Fifi to fly in managed mode. Pulling it towards yourself means you want to steer in heading (Selected) mode.

Loc isn't the NAV mode. All it does is couple you up to a localiser.

I am not sure what you mean by "it can't hold altitude on approach" If you want to hold altitude press the Alt button. If you mean "Attitude" on approach, then depending on the fidelity of your sim, what may be happening is that you get pitch changes with thrust changes. The system will auto trim but not fast enough for there to be no pitch changes. Depending on how constant the wind is, you may be constantly fighting it down to the flare.

If you are stalling at 170 knots there is only two reasons, your flaps aren't actually down or you are landing at too heavy a weight. Normal landing weights for a -300 are in the 160-170 tonne range with 187t being max landing weight. Even at that weight your approach speed would be less than 160 knots.

Hope that all helps.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:17 pm

Most common mistake people make in MSFS or rather don't do anything to before flying is not changing the weights of the aircraft. Very rarely do we ever fly aircrafts in real life fueled to its capacity. If you haven't already adjusted your fuel load, that could be one reason your A330 is stalling for the reasons Cobra pointed out. You'd have to ask him about the particulars for the A330 and I'm not familiar with their typical fuel load, since I'm even sure about their route structure and how long their legs are. In the smaller RJ world we generally fly with tanks filled to 60-70% of capacity for most of our 2 hours long legs just to give you some kind of idea...

LD
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:34 am

No, I use my fuel planner and set it to the proper setting, and I use my config manager to fix up the payload and make sure I'm at a good max landing/TO weight. The funny thing is I can fly the Wilco Fleet A380 better than the A340. I've pretty much got it down now, thanks to all of your guys's help. I noticed if I just push or pull can't remember my HDG Bug selector then it turns on my NAV. I still have a few problems now and then, but I'm working through it. I really like the fly-by-wire in the Airbus, and the systems are FAR more advanced then the Boeing's I used to fly, that's why I've taken a turn towards Airbus. When I said can't hold altitude, I meant attitude, or, well, both. When I approach I have to come in with my nose at about 30 degrees in the air. 155 kts with flaps and gear configed for landing. I'm working it out though. The other day I landed in Dubai with strong crosswind and visibility 5 miles, so I know I'm getting better. The camera on the tail REALLY helps on landing :D :D . And to think... I thought I'd never switch sides to Airbus :lol: .
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Cobra » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:01 am

lqcorsa wrote:When I approach I have to come in with my nose at about 30 degrees in the air.
Well something is wrong there, your pitch attitude should be around 2 or 3 degrees nose up if properly configured and flying the correct speed.