New movie from the White Ravens

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Vladimir

New movie from the White Ravens

Post by Vladimir » Mon May 15, 2006 6:45 pm

Hi, the WR Left Wing here :)

Just wanted to say hello on behalf of our team and advertise the new movie:
http://www.patricksaviation.com/sim_vid ... te_Ravens)

Probably, the video would be the last in the Training Day series (but surely not the last movie from us)
WR=210=Vladimir
The White Ravens Virtual Aerobatic Team
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Mon May 15, 2006 10:14 pm

VERY NICE!

Best Su-27 demo team I've seen to date. Props on the no-cut beginning, turn arounds are just as fun to watch for us virtual formation nuts.

8)
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Mon May 15, 2006 10:42 pm

Great Video and team! I am looking forward to seeing more of you guys! You can tell you are all for real and have the online right stuff with the continuous footage! Keep it up!

Flying the Friendly,
Tomcatboy48237

Post by Tomcatboy48237 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:59 pm

I watched it when it was up for review at Patrick's, nice job guys.
Convertible

Post by Convertible » Mon May 15, 2006 11:20 pm

I will follow on to what everyone else has said. Nice work. I especially liked the un edited movie of the diamond with turnarounds. Very nicely done. Keep up the good work.

Convertible
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: New movie from the White Ravens

Post by Lawndart » Mon May 15, 2006 11:39 pm

Vladimir,

That's some of the best flying I've seen in Lock-On! Tell your guys great work and keep it up! That was just shy of watching a live show for the most part. Neat concept for movie making in that regard (giving up all the special FX and camera toggles to show true skill)!

LD
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir » Tue May 16, 2006 6:48 pm

Thanks for the kudos everyone :)

As a matter of fact it was a controversal decision to insert the diamond stuff uncut. Some people still think it came out boring in the beginning. Though that was the point - to make it as close to a live show as we possibly can.

Theoretically, we could go further and release a movie about 20-25 minutes long, from one camera fixed at one spot, no switching (simulating a spectator). But... we were afraid that nobody would be willing to download a movie of 150 MB without anyhting blowing and crashing :lol:
WR=210=Vladimir
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue May 16, 2006 7:11 pm

I totally see your point and the others POV about the controversy of having an uncut shot of the flying. IMHO having long uncut shots shows for the most part the skill involved in maintaining position; however, like you said, the audience needs excitement too! Even a totally uncut shot is not the best way possible to show skill (the raw track file would be), but if one is going for simulating a spectator standing at an air show the concept works. It's original and I know people like us appreciate the difficulty and choice in editing (or no editing). With the VTB we've tried to go mostly for excitement, fast paced editing, synchronized music and sound FX over the lengthy shots. Mostly to get a wider range of audience that appreciate the work. Live performances, where the spectators can use any camera they choose in Lock-On is our remedy for the lack of longer shots and the reason all of us are working so hard putting together roughly a 45 minute long show identical to the real Thunderbirds.

I think down the road, we might try to make some uncut videos too, but at this point it's the "Hollywood" -style editing that rules our domain because of the marketing, sponsorship and target audiences. I personally appreciate the work the White Ravens do and I know others like us understand the skill and dedication to practice required to "hang tight" for long periods of time.

Can't wait to see more WR stuff in the future!
LD

P.S.
Vladimir wrote:But... we were afraid that nobody would be willing to download a movie of 150 MB without anyhting blowing and crashing :lol:
Our big movie project looks like it will meet that criteria quite well. LOL! Nothing blowing up and 30 minutes give or take, fast editing and friendly flying. Since it's HD in good render quality... ready for this, it could be in the neighborhood of 700MB. :lol: Then again we may offer more than one sollution for download or getting a hard-copy DVD...
Stryker

Post by Stryker » Tue May 16, 2006 7:26 pm

That was one awesome video...real solid flying. A totally uncut and unedited trailer is probably a first. It is definitly the most challenging for a formation team. Congrats!!
Cobra

Post by Cobra » Wed May 17, 2006 6:23 am

I'd like to add my congrats on the skill shown by the White Ravens. As an aside, I'd like to comment on the choice of music.... very nice, as it conveys the gracefulness of this kind of flying in a most appropriate way.

With the VBA also showing their chops, this little niche market of ours grows more exciting by the day. Who knows what tomorrow may bring?

Well done White Ravens.
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Wed May 17, 2006 12:05 pm

Nice video, really enjoyed watching it.

The flying was solid Vladimir, congrats to the whole team! Looking forward to the next series of videos from the White Ravens.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir » Thu May 18, 2006 11:49 am

Lawndart wrote:P.S.
Vladimir wrote:But... we were afraid that nobody would be willing to download a movie of 150 MB without anyhting blowing and crashing :lol:
Our big movie project looks like it will meet that criteria quite well. LOL! Nothing blowing up and 30 minutes give or take, fast editing and friendly flying. Since it's HD in good render quality... ready for this, it could be in the neighborhood of 700MB. :lol: Then again we may offer more than one sollution for download or getting a hard-copy DVD...
Really looking forward to seeing the movie. Even if it is going to be 1 GB large :D
WR=210=Vladimir