First ever Qantas 707 going home...

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

First ever Qantas 707 going home...

Post by Cobra » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:42 pm

This brings a tear to my eye..... sniff... Burner! LD!... This piece of aviation history is arriving at an airfield near you today... :wink:

The three pilots, Roger Walter, Murray Warfield and Brett Phoebe are all well known to me (I can tell you a few stories about Phoebes!!!)

Anyway, she is on her last flight, on the route that Qantas followed when Qantas and Pan Am were two of the only "Round the World Airlines". Once in Sydney she will do one more flight to an outback town called Longreach, where Qantas started back in 1920.

Longreach is an apt town to start an airline with the longest average sector times in the world... just ask the rest of the guys how I complained about the 24 hours it took me to get home from Vegas...!

http://www.707.adastron.com/flyhome/diary-3.htm

P.S. This was the first Qantas 707-138. The last one is owned by John Travolta who flies it around the world still in Qantas livery. He endorses Qantas and for his trouble, got a free 747 first officers endorsement from the company. A mate of mine was doing a late night simulator session one day and during the break, saw a face he just couldn't pick, coming in for a cup of coffee....