Bogus Forum Users & Spam

Computer Topics
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Bogus Forum Users & Spam

Post by Lawndart » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:54 pm

Recently there has been a lot of new user registrations that are either bogus, spam or spam attempts. The user activation requires manual interaction on the part of each user and/or admin override. All these accounts have remained inactivated from the date of registration and can therefore not post or reply in the forums. I recently cleaned up and deleted known inactive accounts and obvious spam. If someone else spots a suspicious account please don't hesitate to point it out (send me a PM) and I'll look into it. Typically, since most spammers won't participate in the forums (and won't activate their accounts), their profiles typically give those users away if you look at the homepage and interests.

Thanks for everyone's help and continued support of our forums and keeping our common hobby free of junk!

LD
Airshow fan

Post by Airshow fan » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:05 pm

I noticed that. This one guys interests was hacking! :roll:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:11 am

Another half a dozen newly registered users within the last week popped up, all inactive, newly registered spammers! Since the boards require manual activation, none of them can post unless they interact and actually complete the registration process, but they can still spam the member info page and be inactive which is what's going on aside from simply signing up with explicit usernames. Cleaning up isn't bad, just annoying, so keep the tips coming... Thanks for your help AF!

LD
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:24 pm

Still deleting a handful of spam registrations each day and I'm starting to ban these IP's and email domains. Send me a heads up (PM) if you spot any more suspicious new member registrations. Thanks!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:43 pm

Still not out of the woods, but definitely seeing results... Keep any suspicious new members or obvious spam, explicit material in newly registered member profiles coming in! I'll get to it as soon as I can, but I do look into all tips I receive over PM's. Thanks to those who have and continue to help, you know who you are :!:

LD