Need opinion on Minimum CPU needed for a Dedicated server

Computer Topics
Rotorblade

Need opinion on Minimum CPU needed for a Dedicated server

Post by Rotorblade » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:02 pm

Has anyone ran this on like a 1ghz p3? I am working with a local ISP to get together a dedicated server for us to use and I am not sure what the minimum specifications would be.

Right now my dedicated server is a P4 3.2Ghz 1gb ram, 80gb 7200 SATA 6600GT 128 PCI-E Its a pretty basic configuration. It gets about 350 FPS at 800x600 while we play online.

Any recommendations on minimums? I guess I am not sure what to tell the guy as far as a CPU is concerned because I haven't ran it on anything less than a 2.8Ghz P4. To be honest I might just see if I could let them use my dedicated server if they dont want to put a system up strong enough for Lock On.

How is the dedmac working for you guys? Good?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: Need opinion on Minimum CPU needed for a Dedicated serv

Post by Lawndart » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:19 am

The computer itself is not as important as the connection. Our ded server has the min specs to run LOMAC as far as video and ram goes. You don't need more as long as you can run the game without using up your memory and as long as the graphics card will run/start the game, that's it! The real deal breaker is in the connection. Our provider has Tier 1 connections and their boxes are fast, well maintained Windows 2003 server OS. Our video card is just a MX Nvidia series and 1024Mb ram, so do not stare yourself blind at box specs. Look at type of connection and data transfer rates instead! The processor speed on our box is far less than what I've used as dedicated from home before, but the performance is outstanding given the connection this server has. In comparison I used a "gaming rig" from home before, setup as dedicated with way more stutter and lag spikes compared to this far inferior computer we rent with a second to none internet connection. There are virtually no spikes or issues what-so-ever with our rental box. That's cause it's running on a server OS environment from a professional provider. There's no comparison! So, long story short... your rig has little bearing on how well a machine will function as a ded server, but the type of connection (Tier 1 vs. ISP!) has huge impact. Processor, video card and other system specs will have little to no impact beyond that for its purpose, connection is everything as long as the game starts in the first place!

Comparing a "re-seller" such as an ISP to dedicated server rentals with bad-ass connection will always be far better in favor of renting a box. If you still intend on hosting from an ISP and/or home puter, as long as the game runs stable and you don't run out of ram, that's really all that matters. You will most certainly be bottlenecked by the upload provided by your ISP. First of all your ISP won't have the same speed available as a Tier 1 connection since they are likely further down the hierarchy of the internet structure, secondly the upload from home is normally around 384-512Kbits for high-speed vs. "Lots of" Mbits for box rentals both up- and download instead of the bandwidth split used by most ISPs.

Lastly, once in game as ded server, setup the cam using F11 pointing either at all sky or all water for the highest framerate buffer. Anything 70-100 fps or higher is irrelevant, but lower than that may cause the occasional spike (especially from a home dedicated box).

Lawndart