Computer Tune-up Tips

Computer Topics
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Computer Tune-up Tips

Post by Lawndart » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:22 am

These are some software that work well to keep your puter in shape in addition to using anti virus software (which you shouldn't run while playing Lock-On anyways) and please make sure to disable any sort of internet security too when running Lock-On. They degrade performance a lot!

Freeware
Ad-Aware by Lavasoft

Shareware/Payware
Registry Mechanic™ for Windows
Window Washer

PC Tools has a lot of great working programs to keep your rig in good shape!

Tip: Once in a while go into your C:\Windows\ folder and find the C:\Windows\Prefetch\ folder. Delete all of its contents about once every month and your system should startup and run a little faster. These files are non essantial for Windows, but aid in "pre-loading" or indexing programs for Windows to load. Many times it has files in this folder that doesn't even have the software installed on the compuer any longer just taking up system resources trying to "prefetch" them.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TBT_Piper

Post by TBT_Piper » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:08 pm

You should probably get both Ad-Aware AND spybot becaus they both detect things that the other missed.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:25 pm

Cont. the thread on computer tune-up tips:

I had these programs recommended to me by other online gamers and they really made a difference! Computer starts faster, browsing is quicker and I even gained FPS in Lock-On! I'm not joking! I honestly didn't expect to see any improvement and was very sceptical myself when I decided to give it a try.

Go to www.pgware.com and download GameGain & GameBoost.

They also have a number of other useful utilities for Computer tune-up, but I haven't tried those yet and may not since I already have other tweaks I've done in the registry. That's why I was so surprised to see that these Gaming Tune-ups really did boost performance. I was expecting quite the contrary to be honest.
Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:28 am

Bumping this old thread.

Just tried the new updates to the pgware products and I swear my high-speed internet went from screamin' to breaking windows!

Well worth a try and even the free (trial versions) have a noticable effect on computer performance.
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:49 pm

Do these softwares damage your computer in any way?

EDIT: I tested PCboost and Superram, Gameboost, and I noticed my computer processor heated up 4C, and when using Superram my css would just crash.

I didn't notice any difference in FPS showing arround 150 in almost all scenarios. I didn't notice any difference in FPS, but it runs smoother tho. I'm about to test Gamegain... so let's see if it works for me.
[-]SilverOne[-] [- Best Regards
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:57 pm

They most certainly do not damage your system, but how much of an increase is of course hugely dependant on how fast your computer is to begin with! The one called "Gameboost" that includes internet tweaks for the rate and amount of packets your Windows handles makes a big difference even on fast/slow machines, since it's independent from the CPU/GPU etc.

It's true that some of these settings may cause the computer to utilize more resources simultaneously or allow for more "traffic", hence increased workload and temperature. It's not in a great magnitude though and a 4 C increase is really not bad if it happens when you're running a directX driven 3D environment (playing a game).

If I had to pick one tweak, I'd go with the internet based ones that alter the way your computer handles internet traffic.Tthose have a noticeable boost and no memory or temperature side-effects.
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:04 pm

I'm noticing that right now, although I have seen no drastic FPS changes, PCboost smoothes my css (I just tested it on that)... My system is really smooth right now, I just reinstalled Windows on another disk and this is almost faster than that one.

Tho I haven't seen any dramastic changes in gaming, it may have raised my FPS (I didn't test PCboost there), maybe 5 or 10... which is a lot.

...anyway good tip LD I'll test it in a second.

Also LD, do you know how PCboost works? I'm not sure about this, but I think it changes the CPU voltage and messes with it, and having constant CPU voltage changes may be dangerous.
[-]SilverOne[-] [- Best Regards
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:32 pm

Doubt it! Most changes are related to Windows and its registry settings...
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:32 am

There's no way a Windows based performance boost program would turn up your FSB or CPU voltage w/o giving you many many warnings and "Are you sure you want to do this?" type messages.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:10 pm

Bumping a really old thread here, but I just ran across a program that really works well to rid your computer from any malware.

Malwarebytes
Destroying malware, one byte at a time

Also, another good tool to keep handy (recommended by Teej).

HijackThis
HijackThis Overview wrote:Trend Micro HijackThis is a free utility that generates an in depth report of registry and file settings from your computer. HijackThis makes no separation between safe and unsafe settings in its scan results giving you the ability to selectively remove items from your machine. In addition to this scan and remove capability HijackThis comes with several tools useful in manually removing malware from a computer.

IMPORTANT: HijackThis does not determine what is good or bad. Do not make any changes to your computer settings unless you are an expert computer user.

Advanced users can use HijackThis to remove unwanted settings or files.

Using HijackThis

To analyze your computer, start HijackThis and run a scan. See the Quick Start Guide [link to Quick Start, FAQs and Feedback] for help in running a scan. HijackThis will display a list of areas on your computer that might have been changed by spyware. Do not change any settings if you are unsure of what to do. There are many popular support forums on the web that provide free technical assistance by using HijackThis log files to diagnose an infected computer.

Not an expert? Just save the HijackThis report and let a friend with more troubleshooting experience take a look. A large community of users participates in online forums, where experts help interpret HijackThis scan results to clean up infected computers.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:44 am

Malwarebytes stinks, Spybot and Spywareblaster do the job, and then some.

As a tune up program, I recommend, TuneUp Utilities! :D :lol:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:54 am

Got the links?

I got rid of Spybot in the past when it wasn't getting the job done for me. I guess it's just hit and miss what works and what doesn't, and something in the back of my head always tells me that it's the Anti-(malware, spyware, and virus) companies that are the root of all evil when it comes to infecting your puter. Just a conspiracy theory, but none the less...
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:07 am

Spybot: Search & Destroy
Spyware Blaster

TuneUp America

@LD- And it is a good theory. That is why I don't run anti-virus software. :wink: If you run an anti-virus program and currently have it 'Running', you are sending out a beacon (Your IP) to the company of which program you are utilizing, saying "Here I Am! Send me a virus!"...
Doesn't it ever occur to be suspicious when you hear on the news about some massively terrible virus that is "going to be released" on a certain date? And that you should be sure to have an updated virus program or go out and buy one. Yea, okay... It's promoting business when sales are low. :roll:

My 2 cents.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:14 am

That's why I only use free anti-virus programs these days. Anyone that wants to charge home users you for anti- software is swiftly taken off my list. (Norton is the worst of them all! :twisted: )

Thanks for the link to TuneUp Utilities. Going to read up on it, and maybe I'll give it a try.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:19 am

Lawndart wrote:Thanks for the link to TuneUp Utilities. Going to read up on it, and maybe I'll give it a try.
No problem, have at it. Just FYI, when you run it fully, it will delete all your Windows Restore checkpoints (believe me, they take up a lot of space, you will see) so after you have finished, I advise to just go into Windows Restore and make a fresh checkpoint to be on the safe side. ;)