Anyone using Triple Monitors?

Computer Topics
Sinister

Anyone using Triple Monitors?

Post by Sinister » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:42 pm

I was wondering if anyone has successfully run 3 monitors with FC2 and SOFth.

It's not as simple as just choosing the 3 monitor option in the OPTIONS page...

I have 2 ATI Radeon 4890 vid cards.

I have already edited my server.lua, views.lua as well as softh.cfg

but still nothing...

Anyone get this working?
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:04 pm

I use 3 monitors for DCS: KA50 and A-10C and it's a hair pulling experience trying to get it to work. I haven't tried in FC2 but I suspect it would be similar.

I quoted an awesome guide below on how to get the multi monitor working for the Warthog Beta. This may or may help.

Best of luck.
MadTommy wrote:Multi monitor set-up guide: Working on Beta 1, 2, 3 & 4 DCS-A10c

Display your MFCDs on a 2nd, 3rd etc monitor

Initial note: This guide is to help people create bespoke multimonitor configurations in DSC-Warthog, no matter what your configuration the principles are the same.
Please add any tips or correct any errors i have made. I'll adjust this accordingly.

My set-up is two 22inch displays side by side, but the logic below should cover any set-up. I have included several monitor set-up examples to help explain the prinicples.

I'll try and keep this post up to date if the beta process changes anything included.

Requirements:
Full screen OFF (ingame).
Extended desktop enabled in Windows.
You need to create one lua file.

* Please remember this is a beta, and problems relating to these alterations should not be reported to ED

** Before editing DCS files please read this post: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=5 ... ostcount=1

The Guide:

1st thing you need to do is workout your total resolution of your combined monitors. Use the image below to help you work this out if you are unsure. Here you will find 3 example layouts..
Note this figure down, (your combined resolution).

2nd thing you need to do is create you own bespoke multimonitor *.lua file.

This file will need to be saved here: \Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C Beta\Config\MonitorSetup\

You can find some default existing files in this location. Have a look at some of these, they are good examples:

There is one example original ED file: LMFCD+Camera+RMFCD.lua

###Start of code###

_ = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('MFCD');
Description = 'Left MFCD on the left monitor,Right MFCD on the right and camera on the center'
Viewports =
{
Center =
{
x = screen.width / 3;
y = 0;
width = screen.width / 3;
height = screen.height;
viewDx = 0;
viewDy = 0;
aspect = screen.aspect / 3;
}
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
height = screen.height;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = screen.width *(2 / 3);
y = 0;
height = screen.height;

###End of code###

NOTE: ED have used wording rather than x/y coordinates. This is to allow flexibility. You can also use this format, but i find it more complicated. i.e screen.width = the combined x width of all your monitors. (So for me screen.width = 3360 (2x1680), screen.height = 1050)

My example: My_example.lua[
###Code###/B]

_ = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('My_example');
Description = 'Two monitor configuration';
Viewports =
{
Center =
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 1680;
height = 1050;
viewDx = 0;
viewDy = 0;
aspect = 1.6;
}
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 1680;
y = 105;
width = 840;
height = 840;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 2520;
y = 105;
width = 840;
height = 840;
}

###End code###

Notes:
I wanted both MFCDs on my 2nd monitor, this is located on the right of my main monitor. Both my monitors are 1680x1050.

Center = your cockpit view

Centre is located at coordinates: x=0, y=0; (as its my furthest left monitor.. your left monitor's top left corner is always x=0, y=0)
width & height are my resolution (1680x1050).
You do not need to edit viewDx, viewDy or aspect.

Screen coordinates explanation: 3 example setups to help explain screen coordinates. [SPOILER]Image[/SPOILER]This image is designed to demonstrate the x & y coordinates;

Both x & y start on the top left corner of the left most monitor. x goes across the horizontal while y goes down the vertical.

My example set-up displayed:

Right, now you should be able to create your own bespoke multi-monitor file accordingly to your own set-up, if i have made this clear enough and you have wrapped your brain around how this all works.

You need to save this file as file type .lua, call in whatever you want.

Save it in \Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C Beta\Config\MonitorSetup.

Launch the game.. go to Options. (Here you need to do two things)

Firstly you should now be able to select your bespoke file from the drop down list labbled; MONITORS
Secondly you need to enter your resoultion, ypou can simply type this in. This is the total resolution you worked out at the start of this guide.
See image below:
Your aspect ratio will alter itself.

General Notes:
You can edit both files on the fly, i.e without having to quit the game. Can save a lot of hassel. If you don't get the results you want simply quit flight, alt tab, edit one or both files, alt tab back and click fly again... your new setting will be used.

To return back to your original setup at anytime, simply alter you option back to their orininal.

I hope this is clear enough. Enjoy.

Screenshot of my set-up:

EDIT: If due to your particular set-up configuration you are unable to access some or all of the buttons on the multi-player interface or cannot see radio text messages there are threads in this section explaininghow to alter their location.

Updated 2nd December.
Sinister

Post by Sinister » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:13 am

Thanks Panther!

Problem I am finding in FC2, is that you cannot manually input the resolution and aspect ratio.

When trying to edit the options.lua to give my new native resolution of 3840x1024, it's not showing up in the dropdown...

So, I gotta figure that part out first...

You aren't using the SOFTH software are you?
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:40 am

Sinister wrote:When trying to edit the options.lua to give my new native resolution of 3840x1024, it's not showing up in the dropdown...
It does that in BS and I don't mess with it after I input it into the options.lua. It still works though.
Sinister wrote:You arent using the SOFTH software are you?
I don't know what it is, so I guess not.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:57 am

Panther wrote:
Sinister wrote:You arent using the SOFTH software are you?
I don't know what it is, so I guess not.
I think he means SoftTH.
Sinister

Post by Sinister » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:42 am

Yeah... hat's what I meant.

Well one problem with trying to use this help file is that it is setup so that the left and right monitors are snapviewed or locked on the Left and Right MFDs... I actually just need for this to share the center view...

I think I'll try some different coordinates...

Thanks for your help Panther!
Sinister

Post by Sinister » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Well, I got it working with using the TripleHead software SoftTH.

Looks pretty cool... Some getting used to...

Although there is going to have to be some serious tweaking, but should be interesting flying a demo with this.