Camel's Performance Problems

Computer Topics
Joker

Camel's Performance Problems

Post by Joker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Hey everyone! I just recently bought a GTS 450 for my computer, and I've seen little none performance increase in FPS. My games still seem to be having problems running. Sometimes the FPS will be okay but it will hitch. There seems to be a lot of hitching. In Black Ops I receive around 19-35fps usually which is not ideal at all. All my games have been running way below potential. None of the benchmarking utilities I've used produce an FPS above 25-30 for the medium, usually lower.

Comp Specs:

AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core at 2.3Ghz stock. Overclocked to 2.42ghz
Corsair 4GB DDR2 800Mhz Dual Channel Memory.
EVGA GTS 450 1GB GDDR5
1TB HDD Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm

I recently re-installed Windows 7 and deleted a ton of files I didn't need. Along with that I've defragmented the registry and hard drive.

My CPU was running at 70-80C. I swapped the heat-sink with the stock heat-sink and now the CPU runs at 48-55C while playing games. I did notice a small increase in performance once the CPU was running at an ideal temperature.

My memory is currently running in single-channel mode even though it supports dual channel, and my motherboard supports dual channel as well. The memory has errors on 1 out of 2 sticks of RAM installed on my computer. And won't lock properly into place in the Memory slot, It fits fine but I have to manual push the tab in for the memory to click into place unlike the other stick of RAM.

CPU Specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103244 (yes this is the black-edition, but it has the same specs as the one I have installed, the black edition just has an unlocked multiplier.)

Memory Specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-20145590

GPU Specs: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=3669

The only thing I can't think of is that the CPU isn't fast enough or doesn't have enough cache. Or maybe the Memory is the main issue. I Just want to make sure which component is creating the problem before I purchase new hardware. Any ideas?
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:25 pm

How high are your Black Ops settings. How much better does performance get when settings are lowered. Which lower settings get the best improvement. If ramping anti-aliasing and the other settings on the card control panel up make no difference your card is probably fine.

How good is your PC running, be honest with yourself. There have been other virtual pilots in your position saying "ah the hardware is broken!" then I start their PC and it takes 5 minutes plus to start up because the operating system is clogged up like fat man's heart. Want to be sure do a reformat of the OS with fresh drivers. Everything nice and clean.

Try other games other settings, BC2 doesn't run completely buttery, I have to compromise on settings. My PC is about the same as yours- Core2 E6800 overclocked to 3.2Ghz, 2Gb 800Mhz DDR2, Raptor 10K RPM HD and a 470GTX.
Joker

Post by Joker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:05 pm

Little to no difference after lowering FPS. Start-up takes about 1:30 to 3 minutes maximum IF that usually. Just re-installed Windows 7 so I don't think it's the operating system. I've been guessing that it's the CPU, it's not a very good processor.

A while back I used to have a simple program called Frostwire. Just a simple P2P program that would basically lag out my PC. Freeze it until it was done loading. IDK that's just something to think about as well. I may install it later just to see how it runs now. But when a simple program like that basically freezes your computer... There's something seriously wrong. :lol:
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:21 pm

I wouldn't assume it's the processor... Aside from your RAM, my computer is slower on paper in every way. It's probably an issue with how you take care of your computer. Make sure you're cleaning up after yourself, defragging frequently, etc. As Burner said, it may be time for a backup/reformat with OS.

I don't know much about processors newer than mine but that temp looks pretty high. We talked about a new CPU cooler, may be time to work on that and new RAM.
Joker

Post by Joker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:25 pm

My CPU is now running at 45-50C while in games, and that's an AMD CPU, so the temps are pretty good. I just reinstalled Windows 7, and I defragged my comp in every way possible. My computer at the moment is clean as a whistle. I've used CCLeaner, PC Tuneup Utilities, and AVG PC Tuneup. My computer has no degree of fragmentation, and 2 days ago I defragmented my registry.

CPU Temperatures: http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articl ... ures.shtml
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Very strange. The memory is still in single-channel, correct? That sounds pretty suspect, being the most obvious possibility.
Joker

Post by Joker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:33 pm

Indeed, that's what I'm thinkin, not sure, I have to buy more memory to find out, because the 2nd stick I have currently is somewhat corrupt and my system won't run stable if I install the stick where it's supposed to be for Dual Channel mode to work.
Joker

Post by Joker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:42 am

Possible problem solved? Rhino suggested that my PSU may not be giving my GPU enough wattage on the 12v rail. I decided to look into it and the GTS 450 requires 22A on the 12v rail. My current PSU only has 18A on the 12v Rail. Could that be my problem?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... ULT-LSP650 - Looking into buying this PSU it's 12v Rail has 38A. What exactly does the A stand for?
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:49 am

One way to tell would be to download MSI Afterburner (very little about it is MSI specific - it's a nice indicator / overclocking tool) and let it run while you run something like Furmark (GPU benchmarker).

Furmark will max out your video card. MSI will tell you what it's maxed out *at*. If there's a power issue, the clocks will be slower than desired.

And by the way, A is "Amps". A power source doesn't "deliver watts", it delivers some number of amps at a given voltage. The product of the two is watts.

In roughly analogous automotive terms, Amps and Volts go together like torque and RPM. Watts is HP. (in fact, HP is defined in terms of watts - 1HP = about 735 watts)

18A at 12V = 216 watts from the 12V rail.

And since we tend to push grammar around here as often as not, that'd be "its 12V rail", not " it's ". "it's" = "it is", "it has", etc...not something that "belongs to it". Using "it's" in that sense would be like saying "hi's bike" or "he'r phone".

Definitely test with those utilities, but I suspect that may in fact be the problem (weak power supply).
Joker

Post by Joker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:47 am

I've always noticed with this card that the memory clock has never left 1804Mhz. The card should be running at 3608MHz. I've been able to O.C. the card to 2000MHz, probably a little more, but then the card runs unstable.

One thing I forgot to mention was that when I start Black Ops, the main menu experiences hitches both in multiplayer and singleplayer which leads me to believe it has to be either the RAM or CPU if the menu is having trouble running smoothly. Facebook also seems to slow down Firefox quite a bit. Facebook has made Firefox stop working altogether and I don't think it's the browser.
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Joker wrote:I've always noticed with this card that the memory clock has never left 1804mhz. The card should be running at 3608 MHz.
No, it shouldn't. The 3608 is what they're calling "effective memory clock".

1804 is fine.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Joker wrote:...because the 2nd stick I have currently is somewhat corrupt and my system won't run stable if I install the stick where it's supposed to be for Dual Channel mode to work.
I vaugely remember you mentioning something about this to me before. If your mobo has problems with the RAM and/or if your mobo configured incorrectly or worse, damaged (warped, i.e. the RAM won't remain seated), you're likely to have issues. While there could be a multitude of culprits for your particular problem I'd start with checking all specs for your RAM and BIOS and move on to the PSU (the mobo and CPU are not only tougher to troubleshoot, but pricier if you need to buy & replace components to test with).

Assuming you're running a fresh install of the OS like you said and everything else mentioned above, it definitely sounds like there's an issue with either your mobo or RAM. It could also be the PSU or CPU, but the temps don't seem abnormally high (?)... My i7 runs extremely cool, but I also have a massive Zalman CPU fan as well as four additional case fans sucking air out of the case, so I can't compare my low temps to what's normal for your AMD Phenom CPU, although if you can post your CPU case temp as well as your core temps someone else might be able to compare theirs (download Real Temp to see all readings).

As far as RAM goes, this could include not having the correct settings for your memory in the BIOS. Check the manufacturer's specs and make sure your BIOS is configured correctly (memory timings, but most importantly the voltages and speed - again, the specs should be listed on the manufacturer's website if you need to crosscheck).

Also, while you're at it check that your FSB (front side bus) is running at the correct speed. Your CPU clockspeed is simply a multiplier of off your FSB. Your memory is also tied to your FSB, so verify that you're BIOS hasn't been wiped and defaulted to some factory setting (usually slower) than you'd want to run with your components.

Lastly, what power supply are you using? You need to make sure you have enough juice for the components in your computer. Based on this EVGA GeForce GTS 450 FTW, you need at least a 400 Watt power supply.
Joker

Post by Joker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:04 am

My current PSU is the OCZ 500W StealthXStreme Series PSU. I'll look into my BIOS and FSB later today 8)

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/p ... wer_supply
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:55 am

Bingo! You've got 18Amp, 12Volt rails. In the readme that LD linked, while your overall wattage would be enough, the rails sending the current (+12V1/+12V2) are both 4 Amps short of the 22 Amps needed for your card. You need a new PSU!
Phantoms Phorever!
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:39 am

To answer the as yet unasked...no, you can't combine the rails.