Graphics Corruption

Computer Topics
dudeman750

Graphics Corruption

Post by dudeman750 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:00 am

Hi all,

Anyone out there besides me battling intermittent graphics corruption? It seems as though once it happens, I can't get rid of it without a reboot. I used to be able to alt-tab or simply start the server to fix it but now it seems worse. Almost seems like overheated memory, however a quick reboot and it can be fine for an hour or two. The cockpit goes black, grey, or paisley. I've tried numerous drivers, with no effect. I'm running my fan at 100 percent on my card (Gigabyte 275GTX OC). The card is mildly overclocked from the factory.

The strange thing is that this only happens in Lock On. I can play other games for hours.

Any of you out there have similar problem or solution? I've looked at a lot of threads here, but nothing definative as to cause for this. I thought I was pretty wise when it comes to PC hardware, but LOMAC keeps me scratching my head from time to time.

Thanks if anyone has any ideas or input.
Ells

Post by Ells » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:18 am

Not with FC2.
It's BFBC2 that really gets my cards working hard and I get corruption after about 5 hours of solid playing, similar to what you described.

But then I can fry an egg on my cards after that amount of time, LOL

Dual 8800GTX overclocked in SLI.

Have you got any utilities to sensor/show heat, etc?
dudeman750

Post by dudeman750 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:24 am

It sure seems like overheating.

Strange that this DX9 game heats it up in some way that other DX9 and DX10 games do not.

Thanks for the input. Maybe I will underclock it a bit.

Oh yea, the GPU runs pretty cool actually, idle in the 40s max in the high 50s.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:15 pm

Ells wrote:Not with FC2.
It's BFBC2 that really gets my cards working hard and I get corruption after about 5 hours of solid playing, similar to what you described.

But then I can fry an egg on my cards after that amount of time, LOL

Dual 8800GTX overclocked in SLI.

Have you got any utilities to sensor/show heat, etc?
Exactly what I have... I don't usually have that problem with BFBC2... :wink:
Razgriz

Post by Razgriz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:44 pm

I'm running a single 9800 GT 512mb and don't have any problems with either.
dudeman750

Post by dudeman750 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:49 am

Still no solution to the problem. Some times alt-tab works, sometimes not. It almost seems like a texture memory caching problem, where the textures get mangled and then somehow forcing a refresh of them fixes them. Sometimes the card seems stubborn on doing that however.

Hopefully the FC2 phantom will arrive soon. I've heard it's getting closer.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:19 pm

Fun fact to throw in here... I had one of my 8800 GTX's blow up on me... Probably corrupted video RAM. Drew a bunch of red lines on the screen and Windows reverted to the VGA backup drivers.

Plus side of having SLI cards... you have a backup! :lol: Still runs BC2 same as it did before.
dudeman750

Post by dudeman750 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Update:

I just uninstalled all my mods, and guess what? No problems so far after an hour flying.

Just when you think you know Lock on- you realize you never will.

Not sure what mod caused it, but I had about 15 loaded.

So, if any of you have weird graphics crap happening, don't rule out a hack job mod!

Shout out from me to the VTB! Miss talking to yall!

Hope yall aren't pissed at me! Haven't heard from anyone in 8 months!
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:34 pm

I'm glad you got it sorted. I suppose having multiple mods installed at one time could create problems. More the reason why I have multiple installs for different things.
dudeman750 wrote:Shout out from me to the VTB! Miss talking to yall!

Hope yall aren't pissed at me! Haven't heard from anyone in 8 months!
I don't believe anyone is mad at you, and I'm not sure why one would be. So much has happened since VFAT last year and everyone has something going on that keeps them out of the pit.

I tried emailing you several times in regards to your computer build assistance but I couldn't get the emails to go through. I don't know if it was on my end, your end, or somewhere in between. I've built a custom rig, my very first and will be doing another one within the next 6 months. The husband got jealous and wants an uber machine to play FPS games. :lol:
dudeman750

Post by dudeman750 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:08 pm

Hey P,

Well I didn't know if there was any animosity since I joined up with the VSB. Back in Feb you all were active and I sort of felt a bit shunned when the FC2 came around and I couldn't join a practice due to not having the team mod. The public mod wouldn't work. Shortly after, you all went inactive for a long time. I started looking around and found the VSB needing personel. I started flying with them and told them straight up that I was involved with the VTB. After a few weeks I knew that this was a good fit for me, due to my skill level. So, I eventually got the FFSB, and TrackIR. I have been on a steady training schedule and have grown to be a decent, but still green virtual pilot. Every day I get better and we hope to put on a short but sweet show for VFAT this year. I fly slot and outside left wing in the show. I emailed Gunner a few weeks ago and didn't get any sort of repy so that is why I felt a bit put off. I really enjoyed the 3 months spent working with the VTB and it really taught me a lot and helped me get to where I am now in this hobby. You all are top notch virtual pilots and I enjoyed working with you all last year. I felt like a part of the team putting on that show. I knew that there was not a spot for me on the flying roster so I am glad that I found the VSB and started flying right away. It sort of kick started me into pushing hard to getting hours on the stick. I'm no ace, but I can hold my own now. The VTB was a part of that and I am grateful. The VSB are great people and I have grown to be good friends with them. We had a team meeting up at the Windsor air show this August and had lots of fun. I have never met a more patient, caring bunch of dudes, without sounding too squishy. They are good people for sure. I can't see myself ever leaving the team unless it dissolves.

If you need any hardware advice I can always provide my 2 cents worth. So, hey VTB hopefully you will enjoy our show and thanks for all that I learned from you last fall! I really had fun working and learning from you all! I know you see lots of people come and go, but I was one that will be sticking around for the duration!!! This is a great hobby and the VTB have been a pillar for the community in general. Your forum is the reference for us all it seems... So thanks from me, and thanks for all your help. Know that you all inspired one more virtual pilot out there in his pit, trying to fly like a pro.

Dudeman
VSB 4 (need to update my sig)

PS: If anyone you know is looking to join a team please send them our way! We have a solid 5 right now, but looking to grow! Thanks!
Ells

Post by Ells » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:53 am

dudeman750 wrote:Update:

I just uninstalled all my mods, and guess what? No problems so far after an hour flying.

Just when you think you know Lock on- you realize you never will.

Not sure what mod caused it, but I had about 15 loaded.

So, if any of you have weird graphics crap happening, don't rule out a hack job mod!
Ah glad you got it sorted.
I started getting corruption and swapped my cards around in the slots, seems to have been a slightly dodgy card I got from Ebay.
Now BFBC2 doesn't crash at all.
I had about 9 hours in the pit of DCS: A-10C yesterday, no problems at all now.

Say hi to the VSB's for me, especially RotorBlade and Racer if they are still around and if you guys want a joint practice with the VRA, let us know.
dudeman750

Post by dudeman750 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:15 am

@Ells,

Rotor is the lead, but Racer has not been around for at least a year. I think Racer did our website and other work, but I have never met him.

Thanks for the invite, we might do that sometime!
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Racer's been a Virtual Blue Angel for almost two years now... :|
dudeman750

Post by dudeman750 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Ah, I see. I'm still learning who's who in this community.

Seems like pilots tend to move around some from what I have seen.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:05 am

All good things come to an end, I guess? Things have been pretty steady around for the last year and some.