Setting master/slave HD SATA

Computer Topics
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Setting master/slave HD SATA

Post by Ray » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:04 pm

It's done in the BIOS correct? Just select whichever SATA drive you want to boot as the first boot device?

I'll be installing a new HD tonight along with Vista, but am hoping it won't be a big deal to switch on the fly between my current HD to the new one.

If it's in the BIOS then it shouldn't be a big deal and will work out nicely to be able to still have my Vista/XP dual boot on my current drive and the new Vista install on the new drive.
Sawamura

Post by Sawamura » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:34 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it's (also) adjustable with the jumper on the HD. This tiny thing, you can stick in to set master or slave.
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:40 pm

Ah, yea I know what you're talking about, I remember doing that with my old IDE drives.

It seems SATA drives don't have such a jumper but are set master/slave based on their boot priority in the BIOS - just wondering if there's anything else I need to be concerned about, I think it'll be fairly simple but never done it before.
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:39 pm

Ray wrote:It's done in the BIOS correct? Just select whichever SATA drive you want to boot as the first boot device?
On most boards, yes and yes. Hopefully if your motherboard has a SATA1 and SATA2 (etc.) ports and the HD comes with a SATA cable like it should, you are already set. You may need a dual SATA power connector though if you don't already have one. If you have a custom computer, 1 or 2 may have come with the motherboard.