Selecting the right USB port for the Cougar

Computer Topics
Air_Wolf

Selecting the right USB port for the Cougar

Post by Air_Wolf » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:19 pm

Hey all;

First I like to thank Teej and everyone else who took the time to help me get the TM Cougar working.

I think I found the problem with the XP install and that is I am using a Source or Circuit City USB 4 port hub, and like Gunner stated I should use a Belkin port hub...(powered).

I found this out while trying to install TM on Vista and it kept saying firmware stopped. I couldn't figure out why???

Took me all day trying to figure out why and damn if it isn't the simpliest thing.

I plugged the TM USB cable directly into laptop and used the hub for my headset but added that after I did the install which worked just great.

It saw TMHotasin and TMHotasout right away and found driver quickly.

So I did a quick flight and with a few adjustments all will be fine for a while till I get a Belkin USB hub for my desktop system.

Thanks again to all here!

Air_Wolf
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:50 pm

For this reason I always plug my Cougar directly into on of the native USB ports on the Mobo of my system (i.e. I don't use any hub for the joystick).
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:42 am

I know I mentioned repeatedly to use a USB port that was right on your motherboard...and I know at one point you had done that and it was working.

That was after you had spent quite some time with it on your game box, and I had you throw it on your vista laptop where it worked immediately...

Unpowered hubs shouldn't be used for anything that doesn't have its own power source...except maybe flash sticks.

There's a limited amt of power a motherboard usb port can supply...and with an unpowered hub, that power gets shared among everything you plug into it.
Air_Wolf

Thanks Again

Post by Air_Wolf » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:23 am

Lawndart wrote:For this reason I always plug my Cougar directly into on of the native USB ports on the Mobo of my system (i.e. I don't use any hub for the joystick).
Problem is Lawndart that I did plug the TM directlly into MB, but with an extension cable, that too maybe a problem so today when I get home from work I will relocate the PC closer to where the joystick is on my brand spanking new "Wolf Pit " and see if that makes any difference. I hope so. If not then I think I'd have to update my desktop to "Vista" which I am resisting very much. But if I have to, then I have to.

Again thanks to all!

PS. My USB hub is also powered, it just wasn't plugged in...
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: Thanks Again

Post by Gunner » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:08 am

Air_Wolf wrote:today when I get home from work I will relocate the PC closer to where the joystick is on my brand spanking new "Wolf Pit " and see if that makes any difference. I hope so. If not then I think I'd have to update my desktop to "Vista" which I am resisting very much. But if I have to, then I have to.

Again thanks to all!

Vista will NOT solve a hardware issue, just make it more difficult! You have two solutions - a GOOD powered hub (plugged in helps :? ) or a good extension with a signal amplifier. My Belkin powered hub has been working just fine for me. If you can move the PC closer, that's fine.
Air_Wolf

Re: Thanks Again

Post by Air_Wolf » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:48 pm

Gunner wrote:
Air_Wolf wrote:today when I get home from work I will relocate the PC closer to where the joystick is on my brand spanking new "Wolf Pit " and see if that makes any difference. I hope so. If not then I think I'd have to update my desktop to "Vista" which I am resisting very much. But if I have to, then I have to.

Again thanks to all!

Vista will NOT solve a hardware issue, just make it more difficult! You have two solutions - a GOOD powered hub(plugged in helps :? ) or a good extension with a signal amplifier. My Belkin powered hub has been working just fine for me. If you can move the PC closer, that's fine.
Gunner, I just did a test with the joystick beside the computer and it still didn't see it. I will try again after dinner. Maybe I did something that I missed? Might have to take my system in to my buddy to check the system out, but it works fine on the laptop with Vista. No hiccups at all during the install, it saw it right away... so might just have to upgrade the desktop to Vista or Windows 7.

Will try and get flying with you guys tonight to get the feel of the stick and start getting used to it.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:22 pm

The Cougar was designed for Windows XP, so I'd say it is highly unlikely that XP is the culprit of our problems. Vista drivers came later, and have caused lots more headaches than anything under XP, however, be absolutely sure you are using the correct set of drivers though (XP drivers vs. Vista drivers) and the latest firmware etc. (Do not rely on the disc in the box to be up-to-date, and if unsure whether you were using XP drivers, grab the latest set from Thrustmaster). Lastly, I'd suggest reading through the installation and support links in the MOAS thread. They will guide you through installing and setting up your Cougar, step by step. All the info is right there!
Last edited by Lawndart on Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Air_Wolf

Post by Air_Wolf » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:29 pm

Lawndart wrote:The Cougar was designed for Windows XP, so I'd say it is highly unlikely that XP is the culprit of our problems. Vista drivers came later, and have caused lots more headaches than anything under XP, however, be absolutely sure you are using the correct set of drivers though (XP drivers vs. Vista drivers) and the latest firmware etc. (Do not rely on the disc in the box to be up-to-date, and if unsure whether you were using XP drivers, grab the latest set from Thrustmaster). Lastly, I'd suggest reading through the installation and support links in the MOAS thread. They will guide you through installing and setting up your Cougar, step by step. All the info is right there!
Gotcha LD,

I just finished dinner. Taking a bit of a break then will get back at it.
Funny you say Vista gives more headaches for TM because it installed without a hitch in Vista, getting more of a headache from XP, but I take your word for it.

I will go over step by step from the Frugal site since now it is back online (was down all day Sunday).

Sorry for all the trouble guys, I will work it out soon.
Air_Wolf

Okay update

Post by Air_Wolf » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:04 am

Okay, well I've place the Cougar joystick within inches of desktop computer and directly connected it to its main usb ports, no extension or powered hubs used, just direct connect.

Here is the result: Device not Recognized

Possible solution is for me to now take my desktop to my favorite buddy who made system to check out system and make sure all system files are up to date. I also updated registry files, and still no luck.

So for the time being I will be using my laptop which works fine for the TM Cougar.

The other solution is to purchase "Vista" for desktop.
Air_Wolf

New update.

Post by Air_Wolf » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:30 am

Hey All;

I'm back in the saddle again, turns out my motherboard chipset was the problem.

So I changed motherboards from a Nvidia chipset P5N-D, to a Intel chipset P5Q.

Found Thrustmaster Cougar right off the bat.

Will be flying again with you miss you guys..