Computer Topics
Joker

Mobo Fried?

Post by Joker » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:07 pm

Hello Everyone. Yesterday I received my new computer parts. They included:

Corsair 4GB DDR2 800mhz Dual Chanel memory
MassCool CPU Fan
Asus M3N72-D Motherboard
AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.3ghz (overclocking to 2.6)
1TB Hitachi HDD 7200rpm
And an XION Vantage case

Parts I already have:
EVGA 9600GT Superclocked Edition
OCZ 500 Watt StealthXStream PSU

Upon completion of building I pressed the power button and nothing happened. I tried pressing it one more time and the connectors which are the road type things that go all along the motherboard were all fine except for one spot that a piece of a connector burned up. Very small about 1/2 of a centimeter.

I rebuilt the system one more time and I press power and fine that the fans on the PSU and the CPU fan do move for a quick second and stop.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong? Is the motherboard Fried? Thank you. If its not a simple fix then I'll have to hope that the warranty covers it.
Last edited by Joker on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: Mobo Fried?

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:16 pm

Joker wrote:...except for one spot that a piece of a connector burned up. Very small about 1/2 of a centimeter.
I'll let someone who's better apt at building computers answer your question, however, half a centimeter is quite substancial if that's the size of your burn mark! Typically you wouldn't even be able to see a kaput motherboard. (Normally, if anything you'd hear about millimeters, micrometers and nanometers... not centimeters when it comes to electronics).
Thumper
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Thumper » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:29 pm

Replace it, even if that one isn't "fried" you don't want to deal with that...
Joker

Post by Joker » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:38 pm

Alright will do. It's back on its way to TigerDirect. :)
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:32 pm

I'd say you installed the motherboard insulators wrong. Either that or got the power connections hooked up wrong. If the motherboard blew out when you hit the power button there would have been a bigger noise and bigger burn't spot. ;) It's very common that people blow up their motherboards by installing the wrong insulators provided by the manufacturer infact. I would probably take it to a local computer shop and ask somebody if they can check to see if its hooked up right free of charge.
Thumper

Post by Thumper » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:49 pm

@ Tailhook - I would just send it back. It's brand new and has a .5 mm scorch mark. Why rig or fix it locally when you can get a warranty replacement for free?

@ Joker - just make sure to read your instructions and be careful when rebuilding your system. Pay attention to all the details and perhaps google your mobo and see if any others have had weird problems installing or have recommendations or installation tips.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:43 pm

Thumper wrote:It's brand new and has a .5 mm scorch mark.
.5 cm according to his original post. I had to re-read it twice as well. Now, that's a mark if it really is cm and not mm.

Good tips!
Joker

Post by Joker » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:08 pm

Well this is great... TigerDirect does not have good customer service. I talked to 2 different people about sending it back and not one of them told me to wait for an RA number and a paper for a signature. After sending it yesterday I just now received an email telling me to sign for it and put the RA number on a paper. So it will probably be a month before this all gets sorted out.
Thumper

Post by Thumper » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Yeah, they're all picky about RMA #'s. That's their authorization code for you to send it back and allows them to identify the package when it comes in and what needs to be done once it's received.

Call Tigerdirect's customer service line back and tell them (nicely) that you were unaware that you needed an RMA # before shipping the mobo back, or that you were confused, etc. etc. and let them know that it has already been shipped (without an RMA#) and find out what your next step needs to be. Don't be afraid to call them to find out if they have received it in a few days either...
Joker

Post by Joker » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:01 pm

Right. I just called them and they said everything was fine. As long as they sent me the UPS label that I had put on the box everything should work out. Because without the RMA number then they wouldn't have been able to give me a label... Phew!