Must Have iPhone/iTouch apps

Computer Topics
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Must Have iPhone/iTouch apps

Post by Lawndart » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:02 am

Since many people have asked lately which apps I consider my "must have apps" for the iPhone, I'm making a long (!) list here of essential stuff. I've gone through tons of apps, but hardly spent more than twenty dollars on a hundred different apps. There are many good ones for a $1, but even more great ones that are FREE! So, here we go...

Feel free to add your own favs as well.

I have to say one app I use a lot though is the standard Maps application that comes with the iPhone. Works great to find any place, address, GPS, or provide directions and gives you direct controls to go to websites, dial the phone number and even corrects you if you fat finger your search while driving!

Hope this helps! :D

Social Networking
Facebook - Just that! Better than the computer version IMO.
Tweetie - Best Twitter app.
fring - MSN, AIM, Yahoo, Google Talk, Twitter, ICQ and Skype all-in-one.
Skype - by Skype, Free and Great!

Utilities
vlingo - Update your tweet or facebook by voice.
iTalk recorder - Handy voice recorder with good quality.
ZumoDrive - Let's you upload videos, music and more to an online account and watch/listen on your phone as if it was on the phone itself.
FreeMemory - Basically your Task Manager, free up memory and processes overview.
VNC - Remote Desktop. How would you like to run your computer from your phone... full screen!!!
Speed Test - If you're curious about your wifi/3G speeds.
AroundMe - Uses GPS to find the nearest shops, gas stations, restaurants, ATMs... you name it!
iConvert - Converts just about any units and currency!
To Do's - Simple, to the point To Do app instead of carrying around a Post It note.

Music
Pandora - Search for your favorite artist and it will find it, or similar music, album art is stored just like on your iPod too. Love it!
WunderRadio - Live FM radio from anywhere in the world. Chances are it has your local stations. Does LiveATC as well as police and fire dept.
Shazam - Hold it up to any tune and it will find the artist, song and links to lyrics, where to buy etc. within seconds!
Remote - Control your iTunes by using your iPhone as a remote control if you're too lazy to get up and actually use the computer.

Weather
The Weather Channel - Frequently updated local forecast videos for any local area as well as the standard stuff.
AeroWeather - TAFs/METARs for any stations you select on your list with links to AirNav, Maps and nearby stations.
AccuWeather - Much like TWC, but better radar interface.
Moxier World - Simple UI, similar to the standard iPhone WX app, but with webcams from all over the world so you can actually see the weather first hand.

Aviation Stuff
preFlight - ATC delays and average ground delays, groundstops to all US airports. Must have if you work in JFK, LGA or EWR!!!
Flight Update - Flight tracking, gate info, equip type, delays and more.
PilotWiz - E6B stuff, flight planning, and vector graphics of holding patterns based on your entries etc.)

News
Mobile News Network - Covers most current news, and has a funny "whacky news" section too!
THN, The Hockey News - Gotta have that!
USA Today - Today's paper in your phone each day! Refresh and read offline.

Entertainment
i.TV - TV Guide for your network and more. Like most apps, can use your GPS to find current channel lineups for where you are at. Great for airline peeps overnighting in different hotels.
Flixter - Movie times, DVD releases.
Now Playing - Same as above, but does Netflix too!
iMake Decisions - Magic 8 ball, coin flip and more if you can't make up your mind!
Backgrounds - Great backgrounds, wallpapers.
iFart - The must have app!!!... funny fart names, motion activated and hilarious!

Games
Tetris - One of the best games of all time.
FlightControl - Addictive!!! Try it, you'll be hooked.

Business
PayPal - Mhmmm.
eBay - Yeah.
Amazon - Of course, and you can obviously use all three of these with your accounts and make purchases with the click of a button.
SnapTell - Shazam, but for books, DVDs and CDs. Just take a picture with the camera and SnapTell will find the best prices online for your stuff.
Craigster - Craigslist client, works better than the web version IMO.
Banking - Up to the minute account balance and transfers.

Reference/Lifestyle
Google Earth - Not the most useful app, but REALLY cool!!!
Wikiamo - One of many good Wiki apps.
Google - Voice activated Google search.
YPmobile - Current events in your neighborhood such as concerts and more.
WhitePages - Reverse phone number lookup, people search.
iTranslate - If you ever need to say something in another language.
Lose It! - Ever wonder how many calories are in your Big Mac, or the slushy you just had from DQ?
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks for the thread, LD this will come in handy once I get mine.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:05 pm

I may need to give you an update when you get yours, because it's ever changing... :wink:

BTW, Nearly 1,000,000,000 (a billion) apps have been downloaded soon!

1 Billion App Countdown
Ells

Post by Ells » Sat May 09, 2009 6:10 pm

Excellent list LD many thanks.

I got mine about 2 weeks ago 16Gb 3G and loving it.

I've only got a few apps so far so this list is great.

I got Xplane straight away (but bored with it now)
Xplane Extreme was fun for about a day, now bored agin as can fly and land in just about any given weather/daytime option.

I've also converted the VTB VFAT07 show to widescreen iPhone format and have to say it's awesome to watch on the iPhone.
I'll upload the vid (about 800Mb) when I get back to work on Monday and post a link if anyone wants it.
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Mon May 03, 2010 10:07 pm

Suggest adding Patriots Jet Team app to the list. It's a ATC game with a twist.