Which Cougar mod?

Computer Topics
Bow

Which Cougar mod?

Post by Bow » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:25 pm

I read quite a few post about the FSSB mod and the NXT mod for the Cougar... I'm thinking of modding my cougar and the NXT is quite a bit cheaper than the FSSB, but LD, I wonder why did you feel it was only good for leading? What did you like about it the most? How did it affect your flying formation without leading? I just don't know which one to buy, but not sure if I can shell out $600. I'm just so undecided of which to buy? I do ok with my stock Cougar that I'm afraid I'll mod it and hate it.

Thanks Travis
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: Which Cougar mod?

Post by Lawndart » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:58 pm

@travo357, I renamed the thread to better suit the question you asked.
travo357 wrote:I'm thinking of modding my cougar and the NXT is quite a bit cheaper than the FSSB, but LD, I wonder why did you feel it was only good for leading?
I never said that it was only good for leading. I may have said it's better suited for leading at some point, however, I flew VFAT 2006 with my NXT after my FSSB had gone down for repairs only a few weeks prior. It was precise enough with its Hall Sensors and gimbals to replace my non-moving Force Sensing stick on such short notice and I had no problem flying formation with it.
travo357 wrote:What did you like about it the most?
The NXT is very light to the touch, and "floats" in your hand. There's also zero centerplay which means you can virtually and physically eliminate any deadzones you may have should you choose to, and get the desired response from the stick whenever moved still.
travo357 wrote:How did it affect your flying formation without leading?
Made formation flying a lot smoother, just as well as leading.
travo357 wrote:I just don't know which one to buy, but not sure if I can shell out $600. I'm just so undecided of which to buy?
Well, the NXT and FSSB are two completely different mods.

The NXT functions the same way the stock Cougar works, you deflect the handle and depending on the amount of deflection the jet responds accordingly. The gimbals and spring force is uniform throughout the range of movement and without any centerplay in the handle, and feels extremely light compared to the stock springs. Coupled with Hall Sensors (a required item), it gives it surgeon-like precision.

The FSSB replaces all the internal parts of the Cougar with a pressure sensing plate (Force Sensor Stick Base) and the stick doesn't move (at all). It works much like the stick in the real F-16 that doesn't move (much) either. At least in the earlier prototypes of the Viper it was rock solid, which is closely how the FSSB is. You simple apply pressure to make the jet roll or pitch, and the more pressure you apply, then corresponds to a greater stick deflection (compared with a stick that actually moves). There are multiple ways to adjust the desired amount of force (lbs) you want to input to have it reach full stick deflection (up to as much as 25 lbs, but you'd better have the thing mounted in a pit at that point). The FSSB has the same kind of surgeon-like precision in its movements as the Hall Sensors provide for the NXT, however, the stick never physically moves in your hand as you fly.

I personally prefer the FSSB, simply because of no moving parts, and the "realism", but I'm by no means suggesting the NXT is a poor choice (for leading, or formation flying for that matter).
travo357 wrote:I do ok with my stock Cougar that I'm afraid I'll mod it and hate it.
If you have the money, you will not regret it (regardless of whether you prefer to have a stick that moves (the NXT) or one that's rigid in your hand (the FSSB))! :wink:

I'd make my decision mainly based on that! Both are equally precise, but work in completely different ways.
Bow

Post by Bow » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:52 pm

Thank you for the quick response. I like the way my Cougar works now so I may be leaning towards the NXT. Sorry if I misread what exactly you said about the NXT (leading part).

I'm thinking though if the NXT is really light and I may want the FSSB cause I like the heavy feel of the stock gimbals. I tried a X-52 cause somebody said to maybe give that a try, but I couldn't handle the light feel it had. Mmmmm hard choice to make either way, might be like you and buy a second cougar, thanks for all the great information.

Travis
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Cobra » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:10 am

A suggestion for the X-52 that I read on another forum... Cut a plastic ring from the top of a bottle of water or something like that that you may buy, slice it into rings of varying sizes, cut a slot in the ring and place the ring under the spring at the base of the the grip.
Its a crude way of introducing friction to the stick; different size rings introduce different amounts of frictions..adjust to taste.
I have never owned an X-52 or tried it, but it makes sense and may be what you are looking for.