Alienware's Curved Monitor

Computer Topics
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Alienware's Curved Monitor

Post by Lawndart » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:32 pm

The CES 2008 is underway January 7-10, Las Vegas. Check c|net: CES 2008 coverage for more event articles.

Here's one of many really cool consumer electronics showcased the last few days.

TripleHead2Go? No... Try 2880x900 resolution on one single screen & boasting a gamer friendly refresh rate with a whopping .02ms (supposedly)!?

Alienware Curved Monitor Looks Like It's From Another Planet

c|net: If you're a gamer, you want this monitor
Yahoo! Tech wrote:One of the coolest displays showcased at the CES is the Alienware wraparound DLP rear-projection monitor created for gamers looking for more immersive gameplay. The seamless prototype display has a 42.4-inch diagonal screen that curves around you, giving you a gaming experience that could only be reproduced by using three separate monitors.

This curved beauty provides a 3:2:1 contrast ratio, has a response time of .02 millisecond, and a resolution of 2,880 by 900 pixels. The display should be available in the second half of 2008, and in case you're wondering about price, well, you'll have to wait a few more months to find out.
ViperArrow wrote:"Alienware has showcased a curved display prototype supporting a resolution of 2880x900, aimed mainly toward gamers, with a refresh rate of .02ms. This 3 feet wide DLP with LED illumination will be available by the second half of 2008. The monitor is still showing some flaws, but Alienware assures us that these will be gone by release. No price has been revealed as of yet."
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:35 pm

$$$$$$$$ :wink:
Not even Gunner :shock:
...Yet
Metro

Post by Metro » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:33 pm

Has anyone tried out the VR920-1a iwear? It is a head eyeware gear that simulates a 62" screen @ 9 feet with head tracking. Interesting but I want to know if it really works. I found it in the airline skymall retail magazine. it runs for 399.95. but looks interesting.
Any takers on it's performance?
Metro
Metro

Post by Metro » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:12 pm

Here is a link to web page that describes this product.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display ... =227T00011

Metro
necigrad

Post by necigrad » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:32 am

I checked out that model at CES. It still needs work. Unless you look at it from the center position you get artifacts. Go to the left or right any more then a hair and you see that. It seems like it's two or three monitors internally and from the side you can see where they blend. I don't think it actually is made that way, but that's how it looked. It's a way cool concept, but not ready for prime time yet.

Overall CES was a letdown this year. There was noting groundbreaking or anything. Even the Best of CES 2008 wasn't that impressive. Sure they were kinda cool, but I can't say that I saw any one "must have" item.
Metro

Post by Metro » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:17 pm

Hey thanks for the info. A lot of money to put into something that may not be as advertised. Hopefully it can be eventually refined into a better product.
Metro
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:48 pm

Alienware even said at CES that it currently has flaws, but they would be fixed before its release - so, obviously we can't give our full reviews based on a prototype/concept screen just quite yet... :wink:

In the end, I think the price will really tell whether it's worth it or not, assuming they fix the issues. Unless it's cheaper and/or has more functionality than a 40"+ LCD with dual HDMI inputs - it will be very questionable whether it's worth it? Plus, they'd have to consider the cost of three 19" monitors, TripleHead2Go and if there's a market to charge more for not having bezels and some curvature...