Ventrilo Upgrade - URGENT!!!

Computer Topics
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Ventrilo Upgrade - URGENT!!!

Post by Lawndart » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:11 pm

This notice just in from our Ventrilo host. We are looking to make the switch ASAP following the release of v3.0 Wednesday, November 14, 2007. This change certainly comes at a bad time, with VFAT only days away - but there seems to be only two options. 1) Upgrade as soon as v3.0 comes out or 2) Keep v2.3 and roll the dice and hope the "automatic" server side upgrade doesn't take place during VFAT hours.

We are planning to upgrade ASAP to v3.0 once released. Anyone attempting to connect to our Ventrilo server or planning to should read the following notice from Hurricane Host announcing v3.0.0 Coming Soon; which explains the changeover in more detail:
Hurricane Host wrote:We *HIGHLY* recommend you notify your users immediately to the impending upgrade and then upgrade the server Wednesday morning (the client is supposed to be released shortly after midnight and we've scheduled our servers to start allowing the upgrade around 01:15am CST Wednesday morning), giving everyone 2 full days to download and install the client to connect to your server.

Flagship Industries plans to release Ventrilo v3.0.0 sometime on Wednesday, November 14, 2007.

This new version requires a new client be downloaded and installed on every user's PC or MAC. The client is available at http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php

The Ventrilo v3.0.0 client is *NOT* compatible with v2.3 servers, so once you upgrade your client you will only be able to connect to Ventrilo v3 servers. When a v2.3 client tries to connect to a v3.0 server it will pop a message saying the server is running v3.0.0. However, if you install the v3.0.0 client and then try connecting to a v2.3 server it will just sit there saying "Contacting server" and will never come back. You can click disconnect to stop this process.

As of now, we have updated the Control Panel to be ready for v3.0.0. The new files will be put into place sometime after the expected release time on Wednesday.

As for upgrading servers, we are providing a way for everyone to perform their own upgrades. On Wednesday, we will open the "Upgrade" option in the Control Panel. Simply click the link and the system will upgrade your server. This process CANNOT be reversed (this means the upgrade is PERMANENT). Make sure you communicate with your users when you plan on upgrading your server so they don't upgrade their client too early.

Those servers that have not been upgraded by the evening of Friday, November 16, 2007 (US Eastern Time) will be upgraded sometime between Friday evening and Monday morning. If your server falls into this category, when you receive the "server is running 3.0.0" error in your Ventrilo v2.3 client, you need to then visit the Ventrilo Download Link (mentioned above) to download and install the Ventrilo v3.0.0 client.
Last edited by Lawndart on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ells

Post by Ells » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:25 am

Thanks for the notice LD.
I think this affects quite a few teams.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:41 am

V3.0.1 patch coming soon (not released yet) - but stay tuned!

(Flagship Industries have indicated the patch may be released as soon as Friday... I'll keep you posted. For now, v3.0.0 remains).
Hurricane Host wrote:As you may be aware if you have been reading the Ventrilo Forums (we always recommend keeping up with their forums - www.ventrilo.com/forums), Flagship is currently working on v3.0.1 to address many of the reported issues for both the SERVER and the CLIENT. This means when the SERVER is released to us, there will be another upgrade needed. The upgrade process will be just like the one currently in place (people upgrade at their leisure from within the Control Panel until next Friday when we start upgrading all servers that haven't been upgraded).

Thanks,

Sales Dept.
Hurricane Host, Inc.
www.hurricanehost.com
Also, when you upgrade your client version (from v2.3.1 to v.3.0.0 / or any other time), there's no need to uninstall your previous version of Ventrilo! Simply install the new version/patch over the one you currently have. Doing it this way retains all the user settings you may have in your Ventrilo and you'll be all set immediately after upgrading. Ventrilo will prompt you when you start the new install, that an older version exists - proceed with the install.
pbrad

Post by pbrad » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:23 pm

LD, when I installed v3.0.0 it will tell you that the old version needs to be uninstalled first and will give you a "yes/no" option (or something similar) before installing the new version. I believe that if you choose yes to uninstall, it will keep your current settings as opposed to manually uninstalling. So, yes, the old version does need to be uninstalled before the new one will install. That's how I had to do it anyway.

PS. I've had my Cougar about a week and a half now and I love it! I can't believe how much better the Cougar is compared to all my "other" sticks. Extremely smooth. Now I just need Household 6 to approve the Elite Rudder Pedals and FSSB! :lol:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:31 pm

pbrad wrote:LD, when I installed v3.0.0 it will tell you that the old version needs to be uninstalled first and will give you a "yes/no" option (or something similar) before installing the new version. I believe that if you choose yes to uninstall, it will keep your current settings as opposed to manually uninstalling. So, yes, the old version does need to be uninstalled before the new one will install. That's how I had to do it anyway.

PS. I've had my Cougar about a week and a half now and I love it! I can't believe how much better the Cougar is compared to all my "other" sticks. Extremely smooth. Now I just need Santa to bring me the Elite Rudder Pedals and FSSB! :lol:
@pbrad, you are correct! When you use v3.0.0's install software to uninstall our old version as you described it keeps your settings; however, if you uninstall your old version (manually) before installing v3.0.0 it won't retain your settings. That's the difference.

Congrats on the Kitty! :D
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:14 pm

Flagship Industries, Inc. should be releasing 3.0.1 Monday.

The upgrade serverside is already in place and we anticipate switching to v3.0.1 Monday evening (or upon release of the new client, whichever happens last).

The client will be available at http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Hurricane Host wrote:Flagship Industries noticed an issue a couple of hours after the v3.0.1 server release. That issue has been fixed and Ventrilo Server v3.0.2 has been released and is ready to be used.

As per the official Ventrilo Forums, there will be a v3.0.1 tomorrow. However, the v3.0.0 client should work just fine with the v3.0.2 server, so your server can be upgraded now and then the client upgraded when it is released.

Thanks,

Sales Dept.
Hurricane Host, Inc.
www.hurricanehost.com
Sound confusing? AFAIK, client v3.0.1 will be the new release to go along with server v3.0.2; however, any v3.0 client is compatible with the newest server version.