Router lag problems

Computer Topics
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Router lag problems

Post by Lawndart » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:25 am

My new D-Link DGL-4300 has a 2% RX error on LAN connections (i.e. via the Cat5 between the router and computer) and surfing the net a bit for more info, there are batches of this router (models A3 &A4; newer ones) with the same problem. One guy sent his back and got another one with the same problem, third time's a charm and it worked flawlessly for him. I think I'm going to stick to this router as it has some really nice features, awesome web-based interface and from what I've been reading, once you get a model that actually works with no errors, it is very good! I can tell it's good even with the errors there, aside from Ventrilo of course. Argh! I'm hoping this RX error on the LAN side is the cause of my most recent lag issues, cause everything else is running great off it.

My old trusty DI-624 had a very different kind of lag that started over the last year or so, but then again this router is over 3 years old now. So, since I'm currently "routerless" and need one, I'm thinking to get an interim/backup router and I want to get the most reliable Linksys wireless router out there, preferably one that's used by some of you guys here for feedback to make sure there are no ill side effects (see lag; especially in Ventrilo)!

Which model should I get?

WRT54G
WRT54GS
WRT54GL

Ref: Linksys wireless routers @ Newegg
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:08 pm

I have the D-Link "DI-704UP

I would suggest getting the wired router. :wink:
It is direct, solid, no interferrence.....etc :!:
Convertible
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Convertible » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:24 pm

How funny. My D-Link DI-524 died a couple of weeks ago as well. I had that for over 2 yrs. I just bought the WRT54G. I like it. So far I have not had any issues. It has a really easy set up proceedure as well. Redeye as for the wired router thing, this one has ports on it as well that you can run wired out of it as well. :) I heard that some have the speedboost as well. Not sure the benefits of that. I did not get that one. Good luck though.

Con
Thumper

Post by Thumper » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:12 pm

I use the Linksys WRT54GS and I havent had any problems with it. The GS's firmware is based on Linux and there is a publicly available free version of the firmware that seriously extends the power and functionality of the router called DD-WRTS I think. At any rate, I would highly reccomend the WRT54GS, it's a great router for the price and I've had no issues with it whatsoever.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:54 pm

I have the WRT54GS as well - no issues other than Ventrilo, and that seems to be resolved since getting rid of QoS Packet Scheduler.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:52 pm

WRT54G here. :)
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:12 pm

Thanks guys! I was thinking I'd get the GS (speedboost version) of the Linksys WRT54G. I really like the D-Link DGL-4300, and hopefully I will get a working verison of it soon. The interface and functionality is great on that thing. Plus it has Game Fuel (tm), basically a feature that will throttle back all net activities except those you specify, such as LockOn and Ventrilo to about a fifth of its normal bandwidth usage - thereby allowing a constant, prioritized flow to the games/VoIP you want lag-free. Less lag, more frag in other words! Too bad there are several batches with packet errors on sale.

@Redeye, I would go all wired if I could, but since my laptop(s) are in other rooms in the house and the pool being outdoors, I need a wireless router. My gaming rig is still hard wired to the router though! I do, however, think that non-wireless routers have a more reliable track record, even of the same model as its wireless counterpart. Only get WiFi if you need it!
Thumper

Post by Thumper » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:26 pm

You know that you can combine a wired and a wireless router, right? Or,you can get a wired router and get a "Wireless Access Point" that will allow you to run your wireless devices. If you feel like a wired router is more reliable then maybe that's the way to go.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:47 pm

New WRT54GS works well and seems reliable. My only gripe thus far is its apparent lack of being able to assign a static IP in DHCP. There are work-arounds for it, but not quite as simple as other brands. My DGL-4300 has been RMA'd and once I get it back, I'll let you know the results.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:57 pm

Got a new DGL-4300 back today and it's showing no errors whatsoever... Next step: See if I have any lag in Ventrilo? (Whenever that might happen - so busy nowadays). I'm keeping my fingers crossed. As much as I actually like the Linksys router, this one is lightning fast and has a much more customizable setup.

Of course, if there is still lag with it, it's going in the trash anyway (a.k.a. eBay). :wink:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:00 am

Granted, I'm digging up an old thread here, but since we discussed (Ventrilo) lag recently; Gunner, myself and maybe a few others having some issues again, I figured I'd share what seems to have fixed it...

I've been trying to eliminate processes on the computer using EndItAll, FSAutoStart and msconfig to see if something was chewing resources in the background. I've swapped between both my D-Link DGL-4300 and my Linksys WRT54GS routers, even tried connecting directly to the cable modem and the lag (or stutter) would show eventually no matter what. I finally made the simplest of all changes, I bought a new Cat5 RJ45 cable from Belkin and replaced the one between the cable modem and the router/computer.

So far I have not experienced any comms lag/stutters (crossing my fingers)! A new Cat5 cable might be your simple solution to an annoying problem...
Metro

Post by Metro » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:35 pm

I have not gotten as far as the internet hook up for LOMAC, but I use Verizon FIOS set up at 10 Mbps. Fios can go as high as 20 Mbps. With my current hook up and wireless D-link 108g "n", I am pulling 10 Mbps on it. It is really fast without lag. Just as fast as my wired computer. I really did not know much about this until I contacted the tech support guys at Verizon. They told me that the fastest data transfer is in N.J. and it is at 50 Mbps. The rest of the country was only set up for 10 and 20 mbps. I was going to buy one of these gaming routers and antennas and Verizon suggest I didn't. Said it would not improve the speed. What do you think?

Metro
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:59 pm

I'm somewhat unfamiliar (although fiber optics in general can be bad ass), but as they say whenever in doubt: "Google that shit"! :wink:

http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS

http://www.dslreports.com/gmaps/fios

http://www.verizonfios.com/

As long as Verizon doesn't block ports (at least not the ones you need to use) and you get the kind of connection speeds sought by the provider, sounds like a pretty neat deal. As far as a gaming router, it will only be as quick as the service provided to it (in this case whatever Verizon FIOS offers). Hooking up a different router won't really make your internet any faster per se, only in the way your router handles traffic. The D-Link DGL-4300 discussed earlier in this thread prioritizes traffic through certain ports you setup and for certain apps, thereby making the pipeline "larger" for the games you want to play etc., but it doesn't effect the speed of the internet service you connect your router to. It only makes your router prioritize your bandwidth for games, and slows down other programs accessing the net if the ports used by the games/apps are active - thereby making the most use of your bandwidth for gaming and seemingly faster.

Unless there's some kind of special modem/router you need to run FIOS, I'd imagine you can hook up any router you'd like, but like I said... I'm not really familiar with Verizon's service.