Trackir Axis Setup

Computer Topics
Metro

Trackir Axis Setup

Post by Metro » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:19 pm

I just purchased the Trackir. It works beautifully but I can't get the roll function to work. Is it something that does not work with Lock on or is there a way I can set it up to actually follow the roll axis of my head?
Metro
Thumper
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Thumper » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:59 pm

Unfortunately LockOn does not support all the axes of movement that TrackIR has. LockOn will only support the X, Y, and Z axes I believe. Head twist, Look up/down, Zoom in/out.
Metro

Post by Metro » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:18 pm

Ok. Still is pretty awsome gadget. Brings thing to a near realist view.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:00 am

TrackIR is a pretty amazing sim accessory, although its formation flying use is arguably somewhat limited. Other than that, it's an awesome experience and easy way to retain the instinct and SA from real world flying. For combat flying, I would go as far as calling it a must have!

LockOn only supports x-, y- and z axis movements. For full 6 DOF (Dimensions of Freedom), you'll have to look into other titles.
Last edited by Lawndart on Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:48 pm

As Lead Solo I cannot live without it. It allows me to gain complete SA on where I need to be in relation to the diamond formation and 6 also if need be. For the solo world its truly a step in the right direction for as real as it gets. LOMAC Blackshark promises 6DOF but that is only for thier helicopter addon unfortunately. If you are looking to see what 6DOF looks and plays like, Microsoft FS9 and FSX supports it and it's great to play with it on that in the meantime.
Fireball

Post by Fireball » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:15 pm

Also if you're into WWII prop planes, Battle of Britain: Wings of Victory supports 6DOF.

IL-2 only supports up/down/left/right. No tilt or zoom.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:18 pm

Lawndart wrote:TrackIR is a pretty amazing sim accessory, although its formation flying use is arguably somewhat limited. Other than that, it's an awesome experience and easy way to retain the instinct and SA from real world flying. For combat flying, I would go as far as calling it a must have!
Flying lead, I could never see myself with out it. I don't know if Bon uses it, but it is really helpful for picking up markers and show lines.

It is limited, however, all of our guys use it with all the breakaways and rejoins we do, and constant formation changes, it is a must.
Phantoms Phorever!
Metro

Post by Metro » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:35 am

I have been having a lot of fun with it and it seems to be very good addition to the hardware. I will keep experimenting with it. What is hard to get use to is the rate (speed) of "panning" compared to the actual head movement. The brain wants to see exactly where you are placing your view point and it is not exactly the same. Hard to get use to.

On another question, some of you guys use PAD Lock. I have it selected on the input panel but it does not seem to lock on the aicraft that you are supposedly looking at. Is there something that I should be doing to lock the view on a particular aircraft. I notice in some of the screen shots a little "+" showing the place the computer is Padlocked on. How do you accomplish this?

Thanks
Metro
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:50 am

Metro wrote: On another question, some of you guys use PAD Lock. I have it selected on the input panel but it does not seem to lock on the aicraft that you are supposedly looking at. Is there something that I should be doing to lock the view on a particular aircraft. I notice in some of the screen shots a little "+" showing the place the computer is Padlocked on. How do you accomplish this?

Thanks
Metro
Actually, the VTB all use padlock when in close formation. Myself and several others use TrackIR for rejoins, landing, etc. In order to use padlock, you must be in a combat mode - pressing "2" on keyboard will put you in BVR mode, and you can then padlock. (You must be looking directly at the aircraft you wish to padlock.)
pbrad

Post by pbrad » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:37 pm

I believe that Fighter Ops will have 6 DOF support as well, not sure. But one thing about FSX is that TIR will also work in Spot View but I find it extremely annoying in that view so I just disable it when I switch to spot.
Ells

Post by Ells » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:49 am

Can't wait for Christmas day when I open up the box.
Shame I'll be in France and about 700 miles from my PC, but lots of fun when I get home.

We've teamed up with Flighstore in the UK to offer TrackIR to UK residents for £129.99
Check the link below for details:
http://www.virtualredarrows.com/trackir.asp

Complete with TrackClip Pro, Vector Clip and 2 games