Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii?

Computer Topics
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii?

Post by Lawndart » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:51 pm

Any thoughts? Pesonal preference or reason for you to pick one over the other?

...and for the HD savvy users, how does the PS3 and 360 (w. HD DVD player) perform with Blueray and HD DVDs respectively? Does it offer HD sound through HDMI as well?

I understand the Wii is not aimed at the same crowd, but any input would still be appreciated! Fun factor?
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:20 pm

XBOX 360! It's what I have and plays awesome. The XBOX Live feature in of itself is the winner for me, I can't wait till Halo 3 comes out.

Wireless controllers, if you want to move the console around once or twice it has a battery in itself so you can move it temporarily. Not so much out for PS3 right now to justify the high price, and they both do HD.
Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:26 pm

Are you one of the million people who has already placed a pre-order for Halo 3?

You need the HD DVD player (~$179) accessory for the 360 to play the HD discs right (movies etc)?

I under stand the 360 has HDMI and 1080p video output, but what about HD sound?
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:43 pm

PS3 hands down. The XBOX 360 is a nice system but I am a Sony guy :D
Burner

Post by Burner » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:51 am

Both systems have their pluses right now. Xbox is still the better system at the moment. The new 360s just got a price drop to $350 with HDMI and upgraded cooling so the system won't die within a few years. I'm considering picking one up at this point b/f the holiday.

However that's because I already have a PS3 and while games have been sparse thus far there are a torrent of games coming on the market b/f the end of 07. Sony is also opening Playstation Home for quick intuitive multiplayer game setups as well as your own personal home in cyberspace to display trophies and have other PS3 users over b/f a gaming session.

Downsides of each system, if you get a 360 that is does not have an HDMI port it will most likely fail within three years- its a design mistake in the cooling system. PS3- currently a sterile multiplayer environment but that will change, game selection is solid but not stellar at the moment. Ninja Gaiden is probably the first cut above title for the system, Bioshock will be the next big title for all systems (except the mighty wii), it comes out on the 21st.

HD Content: The new 360s will be able to output HD content that is D/Led from Xbox live. Games will also be in HD. Older 360s could also output HD thru the component cables- trouble was many HDTVs only excepted 1080p thru HDMI- that;s the main reason for adding HDMI in the newest 360 models. When it comes to movies in HD the PS3 is ready to go out of the box, it has a BD drive it plays bluray movies. The 360 only has a DVD drive and yes the add-on HD-DVD drive is $150 extra. As far as how the HD war, word from the front puts bluray overtaking HD-DVD more and more each month in sales. If that trend continues HD-DVD will most likely stop being supported. Future's still uncertain on that. But if you want something to really test your HDTV movie theater you can pick up a PS3 now for cheaper than the combined price of 360+HD Drive.

Gears of War is pretty badass as well but its coming to PC in much higher resolution and picture quality. Halo is fun but not quite my cup of tea.
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:57 am

Xbox 360 all the way. The PS3 is over priced and doesnt have a very good game line up. And with most game developers making games for all platforms it goes hands down to the 360. Like Rhino mentioned the Xbox live gaming is awesome. And you got to love the arcade where you can get all kinds of older games. As far as hd dvd goes on it from what I read from the xbox website is suppose to be six times better. But no personal use on that. As far as the PS3 it is only use would be for its blue-ray dvd function. Hope that helps. And here is the link.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xb ... dvdplayer/
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:02 am

The TV I have only does 720p anyways, so the whole 1080 thing doesn't really matter for me. Plus, at a college apartment, a huge Halo3 game is going to be dynamite on a 42 inch widescreen.
Phantoms Phorever!
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:05 am

Rhino wrote:The TV I have only does 720p anyways, so the whole 1080 thing doesn't really matter for me. Plus, at a college apartment, a huge Halo3 game is going to be dynamite on a 42 inch widescreen.

hahhaa, nice.

Ive done Ace Combat on a 52 inch. :D
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:09 am

ya...the new Ace Combat looks sweet on the new 46 inch flat...cant wait till the full game gets released.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:10 am

300th post :D
Tubs

Post by Tubs » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:14 pm

360 for me......I can't wait till ace combat 6 comes out.....got the demo for 360 it is really fun....not the most realistic on the planet, but it is an F-16