Post by Redeye » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:56 am

Thinking of these:

http://www.twarestore.com/wistw.html

Any thoughts appreciated.
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:28 pm

They're pretty nice, but I am not too fond of that mic. :roll:

I was looking at a really nice headset from Plantronics for $36 at Circuit City :D
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:32 pm

Thanks Viper101, Plantronics are a good brand but I don't think the $36 set are wireless.

I'm getting a wireless keyboard and mouse, but the more useful item would be a wireless set of headphones. You can walk away and still hear and transmit if you set Ventrilo to voice activated (which I wouldn't do). Re-assign your PTT when you return. The best thing is no wires hanging over my cockpit controls etc.

Here is another set I found: there are not to many on the market....
http://www.directdial.com/GBMH201.html

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experince, good or bad with wireless?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:16 pm

Having a tough time finding many cordless headsets for PC at all, most are either xBox or PS3 sets. I stumbled across this one though, even if it's with a cord it looks darn good: Razer Barracuda HP-1 Gaming Headphones

Btw, are you buying a gaming soundcard, such as the X-Fi XtremeGamer, X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro or are you planning on using onboard sound from your MoBo?
Burner

Post by Burner » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:19 pm

I have had no experience with wireless sound, however my experience with wireless mouse/keyboard was not the best.

Just have to keep in mind that moving magnets is what makes your sound, and to preserve battery life it's likely that more efficient, less powerful, magnets are used to that end. The description states that battery life is 10hrs but is dependent on volume and mic usage.

I would think that whatever sound levels the wireless set can produce a wired set would probably have more capability for the same price. Just comes down to how much you value the wireless capability.

The Razer Headphones that LD posted have the same self-adjusting headband that your wireless set has. I have that headset and can say it is very solid. Only downside is that its made to ideally interface with the Razer sound card thru a DVI port instead of the usual mini-jacks, however it comes with an adapter converting it to 6 mini-jack inputs for 5.1 surround sound. Sound quality is good with the best 360 sound effects for better SA in FPS, Racing Games, and Sims.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:34 pm

Burner, on a side note, isn't it about time you bought a real soundcard? HD comes in not only visual, but audio as well... :P
Burner

Post by Burner » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:16 am

Lawndart wrote:Burner, on a side note, isn't it about time you bought a real soundcard? HD comes in not only visual, but audio as well... :P
I bought a Razer sound card to go with my Razer headset back in February. In hind sight I probably would have gone with an X-Fi card instead. The sound quality is great, no doubt, however some games including BF2142 do not let you enable X-Fi features unless you have an X-Fi Creative Sound Card. The Razer has all the same capabilities, but b/c its not a Creative Card, X-Fi is blocked. Most games don't have the restriction but its still more headache than I wanted from my sound card (plug & play).
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:32 pm

Just got a pair of these headsets; Creative Fatal1ty Pro

Got 'em through Amazon. They rock!
Burner

Post by Burner » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:44 pm

Congrats LD, I'll have to try them next time I stop by.