Lock-On "Reboot" Issue

Computer Topics
Rhino

Lock-On "Reboot" Issue

Post by Rhino » Wed May 02, 2007 11:42 pm

I am having an issue where after about a half hour to an hour of MULTIPLAYER game play, my dad's box will simply restart without warning. It is not an overheating issue, due to the fact that we have the side of the case open with a huge fan blowing on everything.

Not a power supply issue as we have tested the pin-out voltages and they don't deviate more than .02 volts.

He can also fly any other sim or even lockon non multiplayer without an issue!

Specs for his box: P4 3.2 GHz, 2 GB PC2 5300 Kingston Ram, Nvidia 7300 GS, Coolmax 450W PSU, Dell XPS 400 Mobo

Other thing is, the bios isn't a true bios, to where we cant go in to see if the voltages are correct for the ram or FSB Bus.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Phantoms Phorever!
Rage

Post by Rage » Thu May 03, 2007 12:09 am

I know this probably sounds stupid...but have you tired reinstalling?

:oops: I know its pathetic, but I just wanted to throw it out there. I'm not the most understand person of computers...hope everything is sorted out Rhino.
Credit to Sabor.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu May 03, 2007 3:00 am

Burner, you used to have "spontaneous reboot syndrome" (SRS) on you old rig didn't you? Any ideas?

My only, off the top of my head, advice is to look at your memory timing, virtual memory and memory usage with lockon running. Although that wouldn't have a direct connection to MP, I'd prolly try a different network card too... Maybe there's a conflict between the network adapter and other hardware in the computer, check the device manager for any warning triangles and view the properties to look for IRQ conflicts and more (under rescources) for your cards...
BE_MadMax

Post by BE_MadMax » Thu May 03, 2007 8:41 am

It might also probably be RAM issue, maybe there are some part of the RAM which is not normally used, but while playing LOCK ON, it could easily use all the RAM capacity because of Graphics and processing. I encountered many times this issue of Restarting, or some times BSOD.

It could easily be some bad sectors on the Hard Disk or even a Network card problem.

MEMTEST86+ you can use to test your RAM ( if you have more then one module, test one at a time )

Check about your HDD brand and get a Diagnostic test ( ex. Powermax for Maxtor HDDs )

About the Network Card, if you have a PCI network, I would suggest to buy another and try again, it shouldn't cost much, and its never a waste having a spare one.

I hope you manage to fix your problem.

Good Luck
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Thu May 03, 2007 10:03 am

Check your event log for any system errors that occur just b/f the reboot. Control Panel/Performance and Maint./Admin Tools/Event Viewer

I can't remember what caused my SRS but that was how I got a diagnosis and did a Google search for answers.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu May 03, 2007 12:15 pm

Burner wrote:Check your event log for any system errors that occur just b/f the reboot.
Right before it happens, he gets the following on the event log-

"The Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service service entered the running state"

I've done some google searching but nothing has come up yet.
Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon May 28, 2007 3:16 am

Any luck on the auto-reboot issue yet? ...Just curious! :?
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon May 28, 2007 8:35 am

No not really. Tried a bunch of different stuff and still nothing. He will get in the sim, and within 5 minutes it will crash on him, but then he will come back in and be fine the rest of the night. Real weird.
Phantoms Phorever!
afneer

Post by afneer » Mon May 28, 2007 6:13 pm

Can't u get bios support from Dell?
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon May 28, 2007 6:16 pm

afneer wrote:Can't u get bios support from Dell?
Not without paying an uber amount of money.
Phantoms Phorever!