40" LCD 1080P TV

Computer Topics
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

40" LCD 1080P TV

Post by Redeye » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:56 pm

Thinking on getting a flat screen. This is what i'm looking at in the store near my home. Yea...canadian prices...i know! :roll:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:26 pm

I assume you want to use this to use as a flying monitor as well? Looks good, and you can never go wrong with Samsung! I will never buy anything besides Samsung, ViewSonic, and Philips monitor/tv wise!
Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:37 pm

After you narrow down your search by make, screen size, type (LCD, plasma, DLP etc), resolution and price range, make sure you go to the store and compare sets side-by-side (sometimes you'll have to default the brightness & contrast, since people mess with them). Doing this and getting a chance to play around with each sets features first hand, may convince you one way or another. Getting a chance to fiddle with the remote may make you lean more towards a different model for instance, but mainly what it all comes down to is what you see! Which one has the better picture quality to you between the ones you've narrowed your search to? After all, you are the one who will be starring at it in the end.

I really like the Sharp Aqous (42" and 46") screens after having seen them several times and receiving a personal recommendation by a non-biased acquaintance whom recently bought his second Aqous. The features seem to be comparable with it and the one you're looking at, so I think a side-by-side play date with the one you have in mind and similar ones is key!

Once, you're set... if you (have the kahunas to) order online instead of buying in store, you'll SAVE LOTS of money! (...as much as $600+ USD on the Aqous sets I've looked even with the truck shipping added). I'm sure you'll find similar results searching for the Samsung screens too! I couldn't tell you about the Canadian customs (or)deal, but there is a lot of cash to be saved by doing it online in the states.

www.pricescan.com
www.pricegrabber.com
www.buy.com
www.overstock.com

...and many more sites (Google) for comparison shopping! I realize they are all USD, but will give you an idea of the savings if you're willing to order vs. buy in-store.
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:26 pm

Thanks Rhino and LD.
Yes i will use this as my monitor.
Some great prices in the states but living in Canada with the exchange, shipping and broker fees, it all comes out in shafting us Canadians! I need a shot gun and ski mask if i want a deal!

Next question:
Should i use my Audigy2 sound card and buy proper speakers for it or get a home entertainment surroundsound system.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:42 pm

You should be able to get decent sound through the Creative cards with an amp hooked up. If you plan on using the set as your monitor, make sure you can connect via uncompressed digital video --> DVI-to-HDMI. In other words make sure you have at least one HDMI port (two if you plan on someday connecting other peripherals to the TV). I'm sure Gunner can tell you specifically what you need to do, since he's doing exactly this with his Sony Bravia and he's good with sound too!
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:45 pm

Red -I had my choice narrowed down to the Samsung you're considering, the Sharp Aquos, and Sony Bravia 2. All three are comparable in my eyes - it just came down to a great deal on the Sony when I bought mine. :wink:

As far as audio, I'm using Creative X-Fi Fatali1y, but I also have an Audigy on another machine that is just fine. Just get some decent speakers with a subwoofer.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:42 am

This just popped up on my NewEgg deals email. Its a viewsonic 37 inch for, after rebate, about $700.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6889107013
Phantoms Phorever!
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:07 pm

Thanks for the heads up.....
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:36 pm

Got my new TV/monitor but have a small problem!

I can't see my toolbar with the START button.
If i lower my resolution to 800 x 600, i see the tops of the icons but not enough.

help :cry:
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:02 pm

I take it the original issue is happening when you have the monitor set to 1920x1080 and 60hz correct?
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:36 am

Red - Check the settings for the TV. I can't remember what they call it on my Sony, but there is a setting for full screen on that input - on your remote it will probably say "format".
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:02 pm

I think we got it all sorted out over Ven last night. On another note I put in my NewEgg order for the Westinghouse 37" 1080p LCD yesterday, so I'm hoping it finds its way here middle of next week. I can't wait!
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:34 pm

Yes the problem was 1920 X 1080.

My resolution is now 1768 X 992 @60hz and everything fits on screen.

Burner pointed me to the config settings for LockOn and my cockpit no longer seems short and fat. The default zoom is different as it cuts top/bottom and increases L/R (widescreen) vision. (LD tried to explain last nite)

What a hoot last nite looking at the Boss. I was caught daydreaming many times as i enjoyed the new view.
Burner your gonna love it :D

Thanks for your help. :)
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:41 pm

Red - How close do you have the monitor? I have mine at about 30", and the relative size of boss's jet seems very close to what it should be. Pretty amazing view, isn't it? :wink:
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:47 pm

Mine is about the same, 30-34" as it sits on the back edge of my cockpit monitor stand, and it looks great.